Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 12:30:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338382 Posts in 13853 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Alice in Chains without Layne
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Alice in Chains without Layne  (Read 1091 times)
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2013, 04:52:41 PM »

So I am a die-hard early nineties rock fan. Big time... As such, I suppose it only natural I was big fan of the late Layne from Alice in Chains.

Well post Layne I must admit, I never gave em a chance. Hardly even a listen to be honest.

Last week someone got in touch with me to babysit their kid and take him to a coheed and cambria concert that Alice in Chains was headlining. Sounded like a sweet deal and thus I went.

Now to the point of my post... gee golly guys, the dude they got to replace Layne NAILS IT!!! I feel foolish having not given the "new" band a chance after Layne. That is really all I have to say. Hell of a show. Hell of a band.

Sorry for not having more to express but its 3 days post the show and I just still can't believe how incredibly well that new guy mimics Layne to tee.  The new recordings and albums do not do him justice. To hear him play their hits live (admittingly the Alice in Chains hits are some of my least favorite tunes by the band) is otherworldly...Listening to him gave me flashbacks of watching headbangers ball and whatnot on MTV!!-LoL

Some of the most impressive shows I've seen were no-name bands on small stages and never big-name headliners like this. I was thoroughly shocked and stoked about how impressive Alice in Chains was. On the flip side, Janes Addiction (the other headliner) was boring as sin to me. I felt like Perry Ferrel didn't even want to be singing/playing.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 05:18:06 PM »

I agree. DuVall is pretty good at filling Staley's shoes (which is in no way an easy task). I haven't heard their latest work, but I do like Black Gives Way to Blue. I'm glad you got to enjoy them live. They are easily my favorite of the early 90s hard rock/grunge bands.

On this note, I just saw a few videos Of Live with their new singer this morning. First time I ever "saw" them with this dude. He nails it, too. I'm not at all a fan the religion-laden material that came after The Distance to Here, so I'm hoping their upcoming material will be more akin to their 90s stuff, if not something different/better altogether.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 06:45:48 PM »

Agree, AiC is still going strong.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 06:50:51 PM »

It's always difficult when a band with such a good, well-known, etc. frontperson has to get a new one.  Sometimes it's successful (i.e. AC/DC with Brian Johnson is just as good as Bon Scott, Iron Maiden with Bruce Dickinson is thought superior to Blaze Bayley), but a lot of times it fails (i.e. the Motley Crue album with John Corabi was a STELLAR album, but Crab wasn't Vince Neil so it flopped.  If it had been released with a name other than Motley Crue, it would have dominated.) 

Then you have the case of Van Halen.  I personally prefer VanHagar over VanRoth because I think Hagar is more musically talented (he's a better singer and can play guitar) but Roth is the more dynamic stage performer. 

Good to hear AiC still has the magic. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 11:46:25 PM »

AIC IS still awesome. I listen to them ALL the time. I've had Jar of Flies on repeat for the  last week while I walk to work. One of my favorite bands. Hands down. I remember getting the Dirt cassette the day after seeing Them Bones on Much music:P Power Hour.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Klyde Chroma
LVL 12. Obsessive Compulsive Fruity Assassin

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 02:24:01 PM »

Its so cool to learn of other AiC fans in the RPGFan community!! :)

I agree. DuVall is pretty good at filling Staley's shoes (which is in no way an easy task). I haven't heard their latest work, but I do like Black Gives Way to Blue. I'm glad you got to enjoy them live. They are easily my favorite of the early 90s hard rock/grunge bands.

On this note, I just saw a few videos Of Live with their new singer this morning. First time I ever "saw" them with this dude. He nails it, too. I'm not at all a fan the religion-laden material that came after The Distance to Here, so I'm hoping their upcoming material will be more akin to their 90s stuff, if not something different/better altogether.

I didn't even realize Live has a new singer. Throwing copper was one of the first albums I ever bought myself as a kid when I started getting into music. I totally gotta check that out. Thanks for the tip!

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 03:01:51 PM »

One of my good buddies is a huge Live fan (he's seen them 15 times) and he REALLY likes their new singer.  He played me one of their new songs and I recall it being good.  

Live- there's another great band.  I think Patrick Dalheimer is one of the most underrated bassists in rock.  The guy can shred with the best of them, but his true talent is in his finesse.  Every note he plays is perfectly chosen and perfectly placed.   
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:20:51 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 03:13:37 PM »

I didn't even realize Live has a new singer. Throwing copper was one of the first albums I ever bought myself as a kid when I started getting into music. I totally gotta check that out. Thanks for the tip!

In case you didn't get around to it before reading this thread again, here's a few old songs from a sort-of recent acoustic show that give a good example of the new fella's voice.

All Over you - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t6FLCerLlGw
Selling the Drama - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvBGX88Ji8M (music starts at :35).

He does the harder/electric songs very well, too. I think they picked the right guy.
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 09:50:55 PM »

This thread is old so sorry for reviving it, but I had to comment. I love the new AiC. I have both of their albums with DuVall and they really nailed it. He sings the old stuff incredibly well too. The Devil Put Dinosaurs Here was one of my favorite albums from last year. I hate when old fans that have never even heard the new stuff say they suck. It's just moronic.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: