Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 23, 2014, 05:43:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338072 Posts in 13842 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Megaman Unlimited
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Megaman Unlimited  (Read 754 times)
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:46:26 PM »

I stumbled on a fan-made 8-bit style Megaman game randomly the other day when I was on Youtube, called Megaman Unlimited.  It's pretty solid from what I've played of it so far (made it to Wily's castle stage 1).  It's probably the hardest 8-bit Megaman I've played to date; the level design is very solid, and insidious at the same time.  I encourage anybody that loves Megaman, and longs for Capcom to finally make an official Megaman 11, to check this out.

http://megaphilx.com/?page_id=26

For more fun, try to keep a death count in Rainbow Man's stage.  I must've burned through 12 or 13 continues before I finally made it to the robot master (around 35 deaths).

"Truth is treason in the empire of lies." ~Ron Paul
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 06:16:03 PM »

I saw you address this to Derek, but we've both already gotten it and played it :) It's pretty fantastic.

The music is pretty amazing, too.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:49:59 PM »

This is one of the best fangames I've ever played, it really gets the look and feel of Megaman. I say that because most fangames really miss the game feel and flow of the games that they are trying to copy, but Megaman Unlimited has that aspect down perfectly.
I do think the levels are too long and the check points are really bad, but the Robot Masters weapons are top notch - better than most of the real series. I'd put it behind the really great classic Megaman games (2,3 and 9), but Megaman Unlimited is definitely really good.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2013, 04:23:28 PM »

Eh, I really don't get all the praise flowing into this game. There's too many cases of 'pixel perfect timing/jumps' that artificially inflate the difficulty through the roof. I even went back and played a few of the original Megamans to confirm this is not 'how it used to be'. Even official Megaman games like X6 get crap for poor stage design like this where the designer just gets lazy and goes "Hmm...I dunno how I can legitimately make this level interesting and challenging...oh well, spikes everywhere. Call it good."

Yes, the controls are solid.
Yes, the music is beautiful.
Yes, the bosses are fun and interesting (the ones I've gotten to fight).

No, some of the stages are very poorly designed. Especially Nitro Man's stage. There's quite a few cases there where not even the in game items used for difficulty alleviation work properly. Massive chasms with exploding platforms you only get to use once that have a backlash effect that can mess up your jump while enemies are also flying across the screen and shooting projectiles? Should be okay, you can buy Beat and get a out of jail free card for pits...oh wait...the level is designed so that Beat can't reach any of the platforms. So you just die again having wasted screws on a mechanically malfunctioning item.

Sorry that just kills the package right there.
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 08:15:50 AM »

Eh, I really don't get all the praise flowing into this game. There's too many cases of 'pixel perfect timing/jumps' that artificially inflate the difficulty through the roof. I even went back and played a few of the original Megamans to confirm this is not 'how it used to be'. Even official Megaman games like X6 get crap for poor stage design like this where the designer just gets lazy and goes "Hmm...I dunno how I can legitimately make this level interesting and challenging...oh well, spikes everywhere. Call it good."

Yes, the controls are solid.
Yes, the music is beautiful.
Yes, the bosses are fun and interesting (the ones I've gotten to fight).

No, some of the stages are very poorly designed. Especially Nitro Man's stage. There's quite a few cases there where not even the in game items used for difficulty alleviation work properly. Massive chasms with exploding platforms you only get to use once that have a backlash effect that can mess up your jump while enemies are also flying across the screen and shooting projectiles? Should be okay, you can buy Beat and get a out of jail free card for pits...oh wait...the level is designed so that Beat can't reach any of the platforms. So you just die again having wasted screws on a mechanically malfunctioning item.

Sorry that just kills the package right there.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree.  I do agree with you on your example in Trinitro Man's stage with the exploding platforms.  I never figured out the trick to overcome that obstacle, so I always use rush jet to get past them. 

The other things that seem to artificially elevate the difficulty, however, I actually enjoy in retrospect.  The first few times through a stage are very frustrating, and I get mad at the game for being unfair.  But then once I grasp the pattern and make it through, I get that euphoric feeling of accomplishment.  If I die again at that same part, I get mad at myself, not the game, which is quite similar to my experience with Dark Souls.  Now I can get through most of the stages without dying because of all the trial and error, which was also a common theme when I played 9 and 10.  So... aside from the exploding platforms, a ladder bug in yo-yo man's stage, and a spike bug in wily stage 2, I think this game's got some awesome level design, especially for the hardcore megaman enthusiast.

Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 09:18:31 AM »

Pixel-perfect jumps were everywhere in MM4, which was probably my least favorite original game.

Haven't played this one yet so dunno how bad it does it, I'll try it out later. It support gamepads, right?
Alhizzy

Don't Hassle the Hoff!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 11:41:10 AM »

Pixel-perfect jumps were everywhere in MM4, which was probably my least favorite original game.

Haven't played this one yet so dunno how bad it does it, I'll try it out later. It support gamepads, right?

This has a ton of pixel perfect jumps, so if that bugs you a lot, this is going to frustrate.  It's got controller support, but I'm a bit masochistic so I play it on keyboard.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: