Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 12:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338577 Posts in 13859 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Pal Final Fantasy XII?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Pal Final Fantasy XII?  (Read 2488 times)
Shakugan

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2006, 07:03:22 PM »

Quite simply, there is something I need to know. I'm aching to play Final Fantasy XII, there is however, quite a conundrum.

I have a difficult decision to make. Do I import Final Fantasy XII? Or do I wait until I'm an old man and it's finally released in Australia.

One aspect that is halting my decision is the lack of knowledge regarding an international version of FF XII. I'm glad I waited for FF X because the Pal version was far superior for all its added content.

Will there be an international release version of FF XII? Will it have awesome added content? Will it come to Australia? What should I do?

I apologize for all the questions, I simply wish to obtain the best FF XII experience possible.
Shadow Blade

shadowblade_x@hotmail.com shadowbladex8@ao
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 09:07:30 PM »

Well, IMO, despite the "international" edition of FFX of the PAL version, it is still ridiculous to wait 6-8 months for that game. See Kindgom Hearts 2 for example.

I think one of the games that had the biggest margins between NTSC and PAL releases is Animal Crossing. It was out ONLY in 2004 in Europe :|

What?!
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 10:21:10 PM »

Dude if you can get it now...and play it now....buy it now.

Simple as that. International version aside...who gives a shit? The NA release of FFX didnt see it...and ya know what? Five years or so later and I still dont really care.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
salinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006, 01:11:51 AM »

Quote from: Dade
Dude if you can get it now...and play it now....buy it now.
im with the infamous dade on this one i also have to wait the same as you
and i gonna put a mod-chip in my console and import it. the only reason they delay it is because some spanish\french\german snobs guys that are
dumb and didnt want\know to read english ... i dont need to suffer becuase them

ps. excuse me those spanish\french\german guys that want to play it in english
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006, 02:30:57 AM »

From what I've read in various interviews, the US and PAL versions of Final Fantasy XII will be the same this time around. Both overseas versions of the game will have additional scenes that were cut from the Japanese games.

In light of this I see no reason to wait for the PAL release. Not only will you have to wait much longer for the game, you will also have to put up with the horrible effects of PAL conversion - i.e. 50Hz slowdown and black borders.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006, 03:10:51 PM »

I'm kinda getting both :P

I pre-ordered the import literally about 3-4 years ago, and completely forgot about it. I realised a month or two ago, by which time I couldn't cancel it.

I'm at university, without the means to play imports, so I'll have to wait until the PAL version comes. I've got Zelda in the meantime though, so I'm good.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2006, 04:26:17 PM »

Its out in Europe in February, guys.

Edit: gone are the days when Europe is forgotten about by rpg developers. SMT: Nocturne even came out here.

Edit: Rogue Galaxy's out on 10th November, Kingdom Hearts 2 is out now, the Wii is out on 8th December... Need I say more?
Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 10:25:33 AM »

(wow, I can sign on again XD)

I honestly have been quite surprised with the rpg releases in Europe in the past year; I was not expecting to see a release of Wild Arms 4 for one, especially at a 'budget' price.

A november 10th release for Rogue Galaxy sounds a little suspect, but I have no doubt it will be released here eventually. And the Final Fantasy XII release date sounds about right...but then Amazon also had the release slanted for Summer 2003 at one point. However, its probably a bit more reliable than that, as other websites are carrying the same date of release too. The earliest releases date i've seen for the game is at Gameplay, which slates it for last friday in January.

As far as FFXII goes, i'm importing. I don't have a console with me at University at the moment, and I really want to be able to just play this game during my Christmas break; if I wanted to play the PAL release before easter it would mean bringing a TV up to uni, and that would be a great idea, it will really help me get on with my work :P.

As Cauton said, the PAL version will be practically identical to the NTSC version, and Square Enix have promised the lack of the 'black box' you occasionally get with PAL releases (though these days more rarely). However, I don't recall seeing an option for 60hz display on previous S-E releases in Europe, which may or may not make a difference to some people's descion to buy the game now.

For me it comes to down to wether or not you want the game before Christmas. If yes, shell out that little bit of extra money for the import, if no, theres a few more dollars/pounds/euros/kronar (I hope I spelt that right >.<) for your savings.
Evil Gately
Cryotek

gatelytheevil1@aol.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2006, 03:22:32 PM »

Actually, I'm finding more and more that the extra cost involved in importing is now negligable. I paid 32 for my NTSC Kingdom Hearts II back in May, and it's currently selling for 29.99 at Gamestation, Game, and play.com.

Personally speaking, I'd ratehr pay the extra 2 quid and get it six months earlier!

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2006, 03:42:02 PM »

But an NTSC tv on the other hand...

I don't really see the point in buying a whole new tv just to play videogames. I'd rather wait the extra months for a game, and lament not playing it right now. Says he who got Zelda Oracle of Ages/Seasons and Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones quite a while before their European releases. Yes, alright I'm a hypocrite, but those were gb games so I didn't need a whole new console to play them. I'll probably do that with FF III, too. Can anyone recommend any good importers, please? My previous sources were my local 2nd-hand game store and ebay, which is obviously unreliable.
Cauton

cauton42@hotmail.com
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2006, 03:52:54 PM »

Most reasonably modern PAL TVs will have a PAL60 mode. I know mine does, and it's a 6 year old cheap Philips 20". If so, all you need to play NTSC games is a RGB cable (and a US or chipped console, of course).

Edit: As for good importers - I buy ALL my games from Videogamesplus. Excellent service, good price and fast shipping. My copy of FF XII shipped on Tuesday, and I had it in my mail today. Four days from Canad to Sweden is not bad at all.
ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2006, 03:55:59 PM »

Mine does, too, but I'm still not about to buy a whole new console. I think I may get the occasional import handheld game, like say FF 3, but i'll wait for the console games.

Edit: That looks like it'll be my new favourite website... If I hadn't just spent 30 on something from Amazon.com, I'd be playing FF III in a matter of weeks! *bangs head on desk*
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2006, 08:59:57 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if they did an International Version with extra stuff since that seems to be something Square Enix rather likes to do.

And I wish I could find a cheap copy of FFX International, because the new Sphere Grid looks like it'd be rather fun.

ZE GRAND MASTER

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2006, 12:17:11 PM »

But the FF 10 International's extra features consisted of the absurdly hard Dark Aeons, and the even more absurdly hard Penance if you somehow managed to beat them. And by absurdly hard I mean 999999999999 damage per hit (that's not a joke). I think I killed 2 of them by being very, very lucky with Yojimbo, but that was after at least 100 tries. The fact they're there is really annoying, as certain locations can only be visited again when you've beat them. So you're not really missing much.
Nutbar

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2006, 07:58:22 AM »

Quote from: "Evil Gately"
Actually, I'm finding more and more that the extra cost involved in importing is now negligable. I paid 32 for my NTSC Kingdom Hearts II back in May, and it's currently selling for 29.99 at Gamestation, Game, and play.com.

Personally speaking, I'd ratehr pay the extra 2 quid and get it six months earlier!

I agree completely, my import costs for Kingdom Hearts 2 were much the same as yours, and it really was only a few extra pounds for 6 months worth of play.

As for importing, i've used importmadness for the last few years. The service isn't always great with new releases and the time i've spent waiting for a new game varies from 5 days to 5 weeks in an extreme case. But I don't get any nasty invoices from DHL and alike for bringing my game through customs, which is always a good thing :).

as for the situation with FFX international; it can really be a pain if you don't get things like the sun crest before the aeons appear, but they are still more than beatable with some thought and careful preparation before hand; namely through setting up some nice overdrive>ap combos with Don Tonberry :)
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: