Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 11:25:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334815 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  iOS game suggestions please
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: iOS game suggestions please  (Read 1093 times)
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« on: August 16, 2013, 11:31:49 PM »

So I am looking for an iOS game I can play - doesn't have to be an RPG but it does have to be compatible with 4th gen touch and does not require online connection.

I enjoyed FF Dimensions, Bejeweled, Ash, AshII (although I got suckered into buying the gold edition to get the other episodes they never made *grr*)

Chaos Rings was ok.... but repetative. Got fed up with grinding in Nameless.

Hate hate hate action games on the iOS. No action games period. Just does not work on a small screen like that!

Suggestions?
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2013, 02:11:33 AM »

Have you checked out our reviews page? My recommendations would probably all be found there.

http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews-ipodiphone.html

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 10:41:48 AM »

True, but I am also looking for any turn based non-RPGs that people enjoyed - puzzle games, etc.

Quite a few of the reviewed games you enjoyed seem to be action RPGs, which I now avoid like the the plague due to sh*tty controls on an iOS device (need some bloody buttons for those kthxbai!). :)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 11:16:42 AM »

Some handle the touch screen really well I think.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 11:44:41 AM »

Me too.  Like Solomon's Keep, which just has two joysticks.  One for movement, one for firing.  And the Zenonia games have something nice control-wise, because you can adjust them however you want - even make the d-pad different sizes.

I liked Knights of Pen & Paper, which is turn-based.

In terms of puzzle games, I tend to go for word games.  A few I've liked are: Bee Spelled, Textropolis, DecoderRing, and Psychobabble.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 10:57:22 AM »

Revolution 60 is an upcoming game that I think is up your alley.  Look forward to my hands-on preview in the coming days.  http://www.revolution60.com/  Giant Spacekat's tagline of "Heavy Rain meets Mass Effect" is totally true. 

And even some turn-based RPGs aren't immune to control issues.  Some of the worst control I experienced was in the iOS port of Vay, a classic turn-based JRPG. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2013, 03:56:51 PM »

True, but at least there isn't the speed issue with bad controls on a turn based game.
Even action games with supposedly good controls I just suck at compared to a "proper" video game controller. I haven't enjoyed a single action game yet, and am tired of wasting my money on those. I just want something I can play for a short while at a time when I don't have my 3DS or VITA with me :)

Tried Knights of Pen and Paper before, didn't grab me :-\

I'll check out those word games and watch for that upcoming review!

Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »

True, but at least there isn't the speed issue with bad controls on a turn based game.

Battles were fine in Vay.  It was moving the damn guy around the world that was like trying to get a cat to obey your commands like a dog would.  If that game had a virtual D-Pad, I would have complained a lot less in my review.  Okay, and a recalibration of EXP gain so I didn't have to grind so much would have been nice too.  But, really, it was the godawful control interface that really killed the experience for me.  Too bad, because Vay is a good and underrated game.  

Kemco is making a cottage industry out of developing and publishing old-school turn-based JRPGs for tablets.  Most of them are uber-generic and don't have the best localizations, but there are some that promise to be better than others.  I tried out Symphony of the Origin briefly at E3 2012 and it definitely seemed a step better than some of Kemco's prior offerings. http://www.kemco-games.com/global/games.html 

I briefly sampled Dawn of Magic by Lakoo.  Not bad, but not super great either.   http://lakoo.com/dawn-of-magic/

And I agree 100% with Yeager's review of Sorcery! http://rpgfan.com/reviews/Sorcery!/index.html

I believe Saturday Morning RPG is turn-based as well.  I haven't played it, though.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:25:55 PM by Dincrest » Logged

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2013, 06:50:56 PM »

Oh - yes, it is!  I reviewed that one.

—Kurt Vonnegut
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2013, 07:26:12 PM »

Most of the iOS games I play are CCG's, and of those any of the good ones I would recommend require an internet connection.
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »

Here's my preview of Revolution 60. http://www.rpgfan.com/previews/Revolution_60/index.html

Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 03:17:41 PM »

Thanks! I read the review, kinda intrigued but reflexes and iOS don't always agree so I'll look at it again when it is released :)

I read the review for that Sorcery! game, but it requires iOS 5th Gen, and I have 4th. I'll have to check it out if I ever upgrade.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 03:19:30 PM by Aurian » Logged
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »

You don't need catlike reflexes for Rev 60.  I hope the demo I played gets released to the public at some point because I feel like hands-on is the best way to experience it.  I'm not getting any younger myself so my twitch reflexes and reaction time are a LOT slower than my NES days. 

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »

I also like any and all games by Kairosoft. Game Dev Story is a fun start.
Bleaker

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 11:07:09 PM »

Plants vs. Zombies 2 just released, its supposed to be perty good.

Laugh and the world laughs with you.
Weep, and you weep alone.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: