Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 08:28:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329941 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGs that All Children Should Play
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: RPGs that All Children Should Play  (Read 1523 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2014, 05:11:15 PM »

Whereas Final Fantasy 6 spent, like, a half-hour at least before you could actually do anything.

Er, did you play the same FF6 that I played?  After a short intro (definitely nowhere near half an hour) you jump right into attacking Narshe.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2014, 06:43:38 PM »

Well I don't count that section because it's so heavily scripted. I felt like I might as well have been watching a movie rather than actually playing the game. In fact, it wasn't really playing until you leave to go to Figaro (that submarine castle. That was Figaro, right?) that I felt like I was actually engaged, though I suppose that psuedo-RTS section required some effort...I guess...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 06:48:04 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2014, 07:39:14 PM »

FFVI's also prone to breaking or otherwise behaving very strangely.

Nobody mentioned this yet, but besides JRPGs, I was REALLY into roguelikes when I was like 12, especially ADOM and ZAnbgand, (although I... eventually ended up more into Nethack and Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup. And then 2010 hit and I can't play PC roguelikes anymore without getting /the fear/).

Nethack is fast paced, hard, and has a lot of things to play around with. Also there are more modern GUIs and stuff for it now. It's also nicely competitive, with the scoring.

V--- Limited perma-saves are something I REALLY like in roguelikes, and I wish ADOM had this. Ragnarok lets you save every 1000 turns or so. It's a very fair system for longer games.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 07:16:29 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2014, 11:24:39 PM »

For Japanese roguelikes, you can't go wrong with Shiren the Wanderer. The remake of the first game is on DS, and Shiren 3 (just titled "Shiren the Wanderer") is on the Wii. Perfect for that age range, and the Wii one includes an "easy" mode where permadeath ain't so permanent (you can keep either your levels or your equipment, I can't remember which).

Futomimi

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2014, 12:45:52 AM »

http://www.craveonline.com/gaming/articles/143550-top-10-goriest-bloodiest-nastiest-video-games-of-all-time

Any of those would be great! Mess 'em up real good.
The Legendary Zoltan
Narcissistic Legend

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2014, 09:47:19 PM »

These are all great suggestions. Thank you very much, everyone! I was originally asking because I work with a lot of kids and they know I like games. I think for now, Chrono Trigger is a good one to suggest since it's also on the DS and lots of kids have one.

I'm still thinking about which game I'd like my own daughter to play first but that is years from now. Children shouldn't watch TV until their 2, by the way. There is some useful information from professional doctors for all the parents out there. ^_^

Shinjiro

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2014, 02:45:02 PM »

Illusion of Gaia/Time, maybe ? I really liked that one as a kid.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »

Illusion of Gaia/Time, maybe ? I really liked that one as a kid.

Have him follow it up with Terranigma.  Then watch him fail social science/studies tests as he launches preposterous answers about columbus, general world economics, evolution and god knows what else.

"I SWEAR Ms. Smith, the first plane was built by some guy named Will just north of Freedom!!!"

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2014, 02:09:03 AM »

Magical Starsign?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2014, 09:11:40 AM »

Magical Starsign?

Maybe if they want to be bored to death. :P (seriously, even ignoring the cliches, IIRC, the game in general was pretty poorly paced and the story felt pretty fluffy too often. Though I suppose a kid might enjoy it more)

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2014, 10:35:39 AM »

These are all great suggestions. Thank you very much, everyone! I was originally asking because I work with a lot of kids and they know I like games. I think for now, Chrono Trigger is a good one to suggest since it's also on the DS and lots of kids have one.

I'm still thinking about which game I'd like my own daughter to play first but that is years from now. Children shouldn't watch TV until their 2, by the way. There is some useful information from professional doctors for all the parents out there. ^_^

Chrono Trigger is a good choice, however depending how old the child is...

Code:
You might want to make sure they save Lucca's mother leg's from being crushed and living with the guilt that they couldn't save her.

That was a little nerve-racking when I first played it when I was a kid.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2014, 04:27:25 PM »

Magical Starsign?

Maybe if they want to be bored to death. :P (seriously, even ignoring the cliches, IIRC, the game in general was pretty poorly paced and the story felt pretty fluffy too often. Though I suppose a kid might enjoy it more)

I would vote against that too.  Sure it's cute and cartoony, but I agree that it's pretty boring and generic.  I would easily recommend Solatorobo: Red the Hunter over it any day.  Now that game was fun to play, had great cartoony style, and a solid storyline.  Good game. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2014, 05:49:06 PM »

Magical Starsign?

I would vote against that too.  Sure it's cute and cartoony, but I agree that it's pretty boring and generic.  I would easily recommend Solatorobo: Red the Hunter over it any day.  Now that game was fun to play, had great cartoony style, and a solid storyline.  Good game. 

Definitely agree on all counts. Plus it's pretty easy while still being engaging. I definitely could see kids really digging it, especially since a manchild like me loved it. =P
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 06:17:53 PM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2014, 05:54:48 PM »

I'm going to say the original Dragon Warrior, or maybe one of it's remakes (I haven't played any of them). I think it's a great introduction to RPGs and I recall my friends and I totally loving this game.

No feeling like beating the Dragon Lord and building your middle english vocabulary at the same time. Think of the head start the kid will have when it comes to studying Shakespeare in school.

Also, those spell names? Heal! Hurt? HURTMORE?!

I know if I had a kid they'd be playing Dragon Warrior as their introductory RPG.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: