Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 12:07:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335235 Posts in 13726 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Trails in the Sky FC PC release July 29th
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print
Author Topic: Trails in the Sky FC PC release July 29th  (Read 4889 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #135 on: August 20, 2014, 10:45:50 AM »

I'm with kkhohoho (was so close to spelling that right without looking) to an extent. Your problems are still very valid. I for one put pacing very high on my priority list, and I'm glad you brought that up. However...maybe it's because I have ADD, but I actually like that its got a lot of side stuff and whatnot, because I'm mostly in it for the character interactions and the gameplay. Story in an RPG has always been secondary to me. So long as the story isn't terrible, I'll live with it. To be quite honest, I can't remember the last not-SMT RPG I've played that I felt was actually well-written storywise, and not just "good for a JRPG", if that.

Lots of empty space does sound annoying, though...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #136 on: August 20, 2014, 11:10:33 AM »

Also, why is Richard paired with 2 robots just before the last boss? I thought the robots were guards defending the dungeon.
He didn't get admin privilege or anything.
Shouldn't it be soldiers with him?

Perhaps the robots simply saw the heroes as more of a threat. It could be that the robots would thrash
Code:
Richard
when the heroes were turned into bloody paste, but for now, figured that getting a bit of extra help wouldn't hurt.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2014, 02:51:06 PM »

At least I think we can all agree that the game's final dungeon really did not belong in this game. Its just such a complete departure from everything else that it doesn't make any goddamn sense.

That said, I don't mind the idea of a JRPG where you're playing as the fantasy realm police (like conducting murder investigations, rescuing people from burning buildings, controlling monster populations, finding lost wallets; hell you do all that shit in normal RPGs anyways), but this game gets way too Anime/Saturday Morning Cartoon-ish about it.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #138 on: August 20, 2014, 06:47:29 PM »

What FC does, (and what I can't seem to see either of you mention, but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong,) is develop the world, as well as the main cast.

I don't think it does this effectively at all, though, or at least it hasn't up to where I'm at. The characters have been -- with the exception of like one scene at the end of Ch. 2 -- really one-dimensional and static. I can describe them in terms of character archetypes but I have a hard time ascribing any sort of actual /personality/ to them. Kloe, Schera, and Oliviert LOOKED like they were going to get interesting, in the little epilogue scenes right before they leave your parties, but, uh, they're gone after that. I'm well aware that they join later and then shit actually happens, presumably, again, in SC, but having the characters show up briefly, note that they're going to be developed later, and then leave does not count as character development.

Also I haven't encountered any worldbuilding more in-depth than BOSE HAS A MALL and ORBMENTS ARE IMPORTANT AND GOVERN EVERYTHING WE DO and OOH LOOK MYSTERIOUS ANCIENT TOWERS. Every JRPG ever has this /at minimum/.

It's like I said in my last post -- the game just introduces stuff and moves on to something completely different before anything can actually be developed.

Just establishing that things exist without going any more in-depth than that is not character development worldbuilding.

(Truth be told I don't care about story all that much, I just don't think the game's mechanically interesting enough/prone to weird glitchiness? to be carried by its gameplay).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 06:51:14 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #139 on: August 20, 2014, 06:59:17 PM »

I'm well aware that they join later

Yes, they do, but in this game; you don't have to wait until SC for them to show up again.

So basically, you would prefer if most of FC's story was cut out and replaced with SC's story; in other words, you think this could have just been one game? Because, since the world-building doesn't seem to do anything for you, and you don't think the characters are sufficiently developed in this game, that leaves SC, which is where all the juicy stuff was carted off to.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 07:03:31 PM by kkhohoho » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #140 on: August 20, 2014, 10:10:27 PM »

FC literally plays out like the first part of a book.  A lot of world building, but a lot less happening to the grand scheme of things besides themes or upcoming issues getting addressed..

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #141 on: August 21, 2014, 11:16:09 PM »

Do FC or SC ever get into the implications of industrialization at all? Or is the game world even industrialized?

Seriously why is it that every JRPG that has the components for an industrial revolution just be like "Hey what if the industrial revolution was about to happen but then it didn't really /catch on/?"

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: