Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 21, 2014, 12:21:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329304 Posts in 13490 Topics by 2177 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Child of Light
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print
Author Topic: Child of Light  (Read 6925 times)
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 06:23:48 AM »

This looks fantastic. Definitely keeping my eye on it.

unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 07:14:21 AM »

Astonishingly beautiful artwork. And the dialogue being written in rhyme is a really interesting detail as well.
Super excited for this one.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 08:57:57 AM »

They weren't kidding when they said they were taking inspiration from Grandia's battle system.

This is definitely on my 'to watch' list now.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 09:40:44 AM »

Ditto the last 3 posts, for real. Looks awesome. Thanks for the heads up!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 10:39:10 AM »

Looks gorgeous. I always love games with art-inspired graphics. Here's hoping its on a system I own :)

It'll probably be on everything
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 10:47:57 AM »

Child of Light [US] Beware of the Night Trailer -- ubisoft, YouTube

from NeoGAF:

"You can interrupt enemy attacks by timing."
"You can play co-op with a 2nd player controlling the flame fairy dude."
"There are no random encounters. You see every enemy within the environment and, upon touching them, you are thrust into battle."

Day 1 -- even if the game reviews horrible.
Dang that Farcry3 Creative Director has a wide range of creative juices,

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 01:53:49 PM »

You know, I wasn't keen on this at first because I usually don't like western attempts at a Japanese style RPG, but this looks too good to miss judging from that trailer. Color me impressed.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 01:57:21 PM »

It looks like we're going to get more smaller games like this.

That's fine by me.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 02:57:11 PM »

I've been reading some previews on this and it sounds incredible.  Wow.  Do want, like, yesterday.
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 04:39:01 PM »

I wonder who's composing the music for it.  I liked what I heard in the trailer. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »

I don't think this had been posted yet:
http://gamasutra.com/view/news/199999/Child_of_Lights_small_team_has_big_opportunity_at_Ubisoft.php

Really interested in the type of fairy-tale approach they are taking. Personally hoping it will be a bit more along the lines of H.C. Andersen than than the more folklore-heavy Grimm stories, but really neat concept either way.
And I totally agree with the points about fantasy as a genre; it is a shame that in a genre where literally anything goes, people seem so keen on retreading previously established themes and nearly indistinguishable settings ad infinitum.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 12, 2013, 12:51:00 PM »

Child of Light - Walkthrough [NORTH AMERICA] -- ubisoft, YouTube

"Follow Aurora in the Magical world of Lemuria and Brianna Code, lead programmer on Child of Light. She's presenting diffrent aspect of the game such as the gameplay, the world and the skill tree.

Child of Light is a re-imagining of classic fairytales, inviting players on an epic adventure into the magical painted world of Lemuria. Players will uncover mysteries, participate in turn-by-turn combat inspired by classic JRPGs, and explore the mystical kingdom."
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »

Child of Light - Walkthrough [NORTH AMERICA] -- ubisoft, YouTube

"Follow Aurora in the Magical world of Lemuria and Brianna Code, lead programmer on Child of Light. She's presenting diffrent aspect of the game such as the gameplay, the world and the skill tree.

Child of Light is a re-imagining of classic fairytales, inviting players on an epic adventure into the magical painted world of Lemuria. Players will uncover mysteries, participate in turn-by-turn combat inspired by classic JRPGs, and explore the mystical kingdom."

Oh my jesus I want this really badly.  It feels like a game made for me.  The visual watercolour style is beautifully used, the combat looks like FF6 and Grandia hung out together, and the fact it makes an effort to rhyme is simply....sublime! :D
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 01:06:37 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2013, 02:48:11 PM »

My god, this game looks stunning.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »

boss!

Ubi may now becoming my favorite game company in the world. Even with Assassin's Creed, they've done an amazing job keeping a franchise fresh and entertaining for this many iterations, and not dragging out development on each. I think that's key in this day-in-age. Creative juice can go bad when left out for too long, to a certain degree, it's important to be realistic and just move forward, not overthinking and re-doing every thing. Ubi's done a killer job in just keeping their creations moving. I don't see many game companies doing that good a job and with that success rate. Ironically, they have sort of returned gaming to it's prime again, because back in the day, there weren't 5 year development cycles, each development team put out a new game every 6 months to a year.

It's also great to use large money-makers as a way of funding smaller artistic projects. The best of the best do this, and have done this throughout history. It's easy to either lose your soul and make only money-making projects, or go the other way and never make enough to keep afloat and have the ability to really let your creative endeavors take off. For anyone who says that an artist/developer to work in this way is selling out should go fuck themselves right now.

Too bad they were on the evil end of the DRM stick, other than that, I'm at a point where I feel like Ubi can do no wrong.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: