Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 09:44:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327405 Posts in 13405 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Child of Light
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print
Author Topic: Child of Light  (Read 6113 times)
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2014, 03:03:28 PM »

Klutz: Do you have that backward?  Because I found heals to be far more useless than the slows.  The slows make it so that enemies can be chained into sequences of no action for quite some time.

Well, yes and no. I discovered the healing and slowing enemies bit before getting a full grasp of the interrupt mechanic and I guess I just never put two and two together until you said something. That does drastically change things, but that makes things sound even duller, to be honest.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2014, 05:31:05 PM »

Not to be contrarian, but I finished the demo last night and thougth the game was really fantastic. Liked the use of Igniculus, thought the combat was tough and challenging on hardmode, and adored the writing. I can see some not liking it, but it's sort of 'the vibe' they were going for with the game. Can't wait to pick the full game up.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 05:32:38 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2014, 08:09:52 PM »

Is it worth playing on Hard the first time through? I enjoy a little bit of challenge, but don't want to be banging my head against a wall.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2014, 08:30:25 PM »

Not to be contrarian, but I finished the demo last night and thougth the game was really fantastic. Liked the use of Igniculus, thought the combat was tough and challenging on hardmode, and adored the writing. I can see some not liking it, but it's sort of 'the vibe' they were going for with the game. Can't wait to pick the full game up.

I welcome dissenting opinions. I really hope this game does well, because A) artistically speaking, it's amazing and B) anything that distracts Ubisoft from turning everything they touch into a yearly franchise and making movies for games that haven't even earned a reputation yet is good news in my book.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2014, 08:40:00 PM »

^ ^ ^ Agree

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2014, 09:03:56 PM »

All of the major criticisms for the title are justified, but overall it's a wonderful experience worth every RPG-ers time I think:

= Battle system is *somewhat* simple; or rather, it's great but that LITTLE bit more would have made it *amazing*.  It is Grandia; but I think the length/scope of that title (as opposed to the 15 hours here) may be one way the roots don't spread further.

= The rhyming is good, but not always easily understood.  Either some bad rhyming or inconsistent timing.  Sometimes it can be a little distracting too, but my reading level barely lets me read books all the way through).  Still, it makes reading a lot of fun, and I love the occasional joke or pun.  I'm surprised how well they can make a rhyme fit; and the dialogue has a surprising ton of wit.

= I *love* the OST.  But it does suffer a bit from what Kirby: Epic Yarn does... it's a bit *TOO* soft and lullaby-ish.  Nevertheless, that's *hardly* a criticism for how beautifully the tunes are composed and wonderful the melodies are (and when it needs a bit more 'oomph' it delivers).  And I do love the boss and battle theme too.

= The art is perfect.  Fucking Ubisoft, of all big brands right now, spun out a fairytale JRPG and nailed the look and the mechanics so wonderfully.  Between the animated battle animations to the in-motion close-up portraits, the team did a great job bringing this game to life.  

= Free flying is awesome..

= Big question I'm already asking: Will there be a sequel??  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 09:40:53 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2014, 07:22:54 PM »

As Aurora I must confess here and now,
and do deem it nice,
I feel as though somehow,
I am in fact playing as Dice.

The dialogue is strange,
on this note I agree.
To read words arranged,
In the interest of whimsy...golly gee?

I thinketh this thread should now rhyme through and through.
But truth be told, Klyde sucks at this... cluck cluck screw...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: May 03, 2014, 12:34:21 PM »

The game is fun, yes I agree
The art is lovely, filled with whimsy
The music soars, I stop to hear
Every note as it tickles my ear

The game is good, oh yes it is
But it falls shy of great, a very near miss
I thoroughly agree with what John had to say
And I'm kept entertained for a few lovely days

I approve of this nonsense!
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #98 on: May 06, 2014, 03:12:30 AM »

I finished this today after putting in some time,
I'm sorry to say that only this part will rhyme.

Just some general thoughts:

• Loved Aurora and most of the characters. Some felt a bit more neglected than others, though, like classic fairy tales, I was never expecting any major character development.
  • Story had quite an interesting premise, though there were lots of missed opportunities to expand it further.
  • The ending was... fast. After the second-last boss I was getting myself psyched for a final dungeon. Apparently I didn't need to.
  • I liked the battle system, but it's so simple, especially towards the end. A couple of characters are pretty much useless.
  • I'm completely lost as to why they chose Austria as part of the setting, especially when you consider what happens at the end. Killed any believability.
  • Plenty of collectables - always a plus for me!
  • Fantastic art and music.
  • I decided it reminded me a lot of Paper Mario (particularly the one partner in battle thing).
  • I can only speak for the PS3 version, but awful trophy list - one of the worst I've seen. This isn't a major factor for me, but it's a bit disappointing I won't have anything to show when I finally collect everything or for beating the game on Hard.

So, great overall - just missed the mark a few times. Plenty of room for a full-length sequel, which could easily remedy all that.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 03:14:07 AM by FlamingR1ft » Logged

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #99 on: May 20, 2014, 02:16:58 PM »

http://gematsu.com/2014/05/child-light-coming-ps-vita-july

PS Vita port inbound.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #100 on: May 20, 2014, 10:01:18 PM »

I'm happy - more likely to play this on the Vita than my Xbox360.
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #101 on: May 21, 2014, 11:13:22 AM »

More games for Vita. Woohoo!

Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #102 on: May 21, 2014, 11:43:25 AM »

Sweet! Haven't bought it yet because I don't get to play my consoles nearly as much as my handhelds. Definitely will buy this.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: