Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 10:24:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327295 Posts in 13402 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  The Soundroom
| | |-+  Does anybody like Coheed and Cambria??
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Does anybody like Coheed and Cambria??  (Read 10128 times)
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2006, 09:17:40 AM »

Even though he can't see this I feel the need to respond to him. Fuck you, I am not a metalhead. Fuck metal.

Anyway. I am a fan of Coheed and Cambria. Actually we might be using a string quartet version of one of their songs at my wedding.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2006, 09:54:19 AM »

I'm another one that doesn't like the vocals, although I think the music is pretty decent. It's odd, because I really like Geddy's voice!

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Merkava

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2006, 05:55:48 PM »

Quote from: "Murdoc"
Well I for one hate Coheed.

Also, who the fuck cares? Emo really isn't an established genre, so as of now, it's really up to opinion and specualtion as to what really fits under it. I would catagorize it as emo. That's me though, and it's pretty retarded to argue about differing opinions.

Edit: Everyone should clean the sand out of their vaginas and stop crying about being mislabled.

Actually, the official emo was a genre of hardcore punk made in DC in the early-to-late 80's. It featured gruff vocals, quickly played instruments, and what would later become the staple of Emo, personal lyrics. It is a defined genre, it's just that with Dashboard Confessional, no one really notices anymore. It's a shame, Rites of Spring, Embrace, and Nation of Ulysses are some great, non-sissy bands.

But anyway...

I never liked Geddy Lee's vocals, but for some reason, I like Claudio's. It's wierd. I guess the vocal style sounds better with one type of music for me.

I also know I've brought this up before, but I remember seeing an interview with Claudio and the guitarist from Coheed, where Claudio debuts their recent album's title. The guitarist cringed. I just find that funny. Music's good, but I don't like the way their "concept" has been handled.
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2006, 10:10:48 PM »

Actually, the official emo was a genre of hardcore punk made in DC in the early-to-late 80's. It featured gruff vocals, quickly played instruments, and what would later become the staple of Emo, personal lyrics. It is a defined genre, it's just that with Dashboard Confessional, no one really notices anymore. It's a shame, Rites of Spring, Embrace, and Nation of Ulysses are some great, non-sissy bands.

I wasn't asking whether or not it is known or if it has a history, but rather if it's really established. It isn't. For example, you can't go on iTunes and search by the genre Emo just like you can't go into Best Buy and look under Emo for your favorite band. They're all under Rock and Alternitive, so for now it's up to opinion and speculation, and it sounds pretty emo to me.

Funny that I looked it up in iTunes and it showed up in the "iTunes Essentials" Emo mix. Also when I tried to look for the songs that most people buy I get this message, "contribute to this section by purchasing music from this artist". Hehehe.
CoheedIV
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2006, 10:17:48 PM »

I am sorry but coheed and Cambria is not emo. I know sometimes they can sound like it ,with saying stuff like cut the troats of babys, but dont get sterotipic here. to me their a great band. they have a very talented bass, a awsome guitarist , and cladio (to me) has a great voice and can write great lyrics. He also is a very talented guitarist. Coheed and Cambria was in enspired by led zeplin and pink floyd. theirs proof of why thier not emo. I like them, because of thier creativity.When they write a song its about a story and be honest how many bands do that. Thats what lured me in. Not just the music,but the story in general. They are a very unique band,

HEY GUYS, COHEED AND CAMBRIA
Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2006, 01:50:27 AM »

Quote from: "CoheedIV"
Coheed and Cambria was in enspired by led zeplin and pink floyd. theirs proof of why thier not emo.

So fucking what, one of the guitarists in Cryptopsy is influenced by old Genesis and Liquid Tension Experiment.  That doesn't mean that Cryptopsy isn't Death Metal.  The bands and artists that influence another band doesn't directly correspond witht he fucking genre of said band.  If that was the case, Cannibal Corpse would sound like fucking BB King.

PS - Work on your English.

CoheedIV
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2006, 01:56:27 AM »

Sorry about my english, anyways i am just trying to say Coheed and Cambria is good band thats it.

Losfer
Bearded Scumlord

The friendliest man on the internet

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2006, 02:00:15 AM »

That's fine.  Just base your opinions of the band on actual reasons and not "they like Led Zepplin, listen to them."  Most people need to rely on more than O SHI THEY OWN to try a band out.  :P

CoheedIV
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2006, 11:06:11 PM »

Alright, Anyways i was just seeing if anyone liked Coheed here. I wasn't trying to cause a fight over the band, It's just stupid because, Coheed and Cambria isn't emo and if anyone would stop and just try them they would figure that out.

Dave

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2006, 07:55:30 AM »

Wow, if you'd been here before the board-change, you'd have seen the Coheed love-fest that came about in a Best Album of 2005 thread. For the record it was my personal Album of the Year.

And Losfer, you aren't alone in liking Geddy's voice.

...but I absolutely hate the song Freewill, and always will, because of how many damn times I've heard it while in the car. You, nor any other Rush fan, could possibly make me like it. :P

That having been said, I've enjoyed Coheed's last two albums (haven't bought their prior releases yet). From what I've heard, they get better as time goes by. Can't wait for V.

Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2006, 10:16:22 AM »

When they write a song its about a story and be honest how many bands do that. Thats what lured me in. Not just the music,but the story in general. They are a very unique band,

Actually more bands than you'd think have albums with a story, especially in the prog genre. Coheed and Cambria are by no means the first to do it.

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2006, 02:54:36 PM »

To add to that, Deg, the whole idea of story songs has been around since forever.  In ancient times, religious chanting and hymns often told stories of the exploits of the Gods.  I believe that some of the first ever music ever made was made in a holy setting, such as a church or a temple.

Classical music and opera are heavily built around story songs.  Franz Schubert based many of his compositions around stories and need I mention Karl Orff's "Carmina Burana"?  If you want to fast forward a bit to music such as country or blues that influences the modern rock and whatever else sounds we listen to today, most every country or blues song is a story song.  

But our Coheed friend has a point in that much of popular music these days that you hear on the radio or MTV is self-contained pop-sensible stuff that clocks in around 3minutes 30seconds and doesn't really say much in that time.  It's rare that you hear lengthy storylines and sweeping epics in the vein of power metal or prog rock (be it 1970s prog rock or today's prog) since, well, it's not easily digestible to the masses, especially given the lengths of many deeper songs clocking in at over 6 minutes.  The radio and MTV just wants to peddle candy to the masses, and deeper music is a more complex, intense, and often acquired taste.  

In writing this post, I'm reminded of a thread we had before the server switch about concept albums- those albums bands that are often based around a story or something and not just a collection of independent songs.  

As for the vocal styles, I dig Geddy Lee's voice nowadays, because it's gotten deeper and mellower with age.  The shrieking on "Fly By Night" is cacophanous, but his normal singing on songs like "Roll the Bones" is great.  I hear Claudio's voice is getting mellower and less shrieky as well.  Hence, though I think Coheed are a great band now, I'll probably like them better a few years down the road once the years mellow out Claudio's voice.

I approve of this nonsense!
CoheedIV
Banninated

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2006, 04:07:44 PM »

I really want to go to their tour on april 17,18,and 19. I might be able to go, because of my birthday, anways i like them live. Even though I never seen them live before. I saw the live DVD and I really want to see them live.  The only down side is their on tour with avenged sevenfold.

Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2006, 05:55:07 PM »

anways i like them live.
I'd hope so.  I'm sure you'd get weird looks if you said you liked them dead.
Murdoc

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2006, 07:52:53 PM »

When they write a song its about a story and be honest how many bands do that. Thats what lured me in. Not just the music,but the story in general. They are a very unique band,

If that's the only reason you like Coheed, then try Sting. He does the same thing, only better.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: