Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 23, 2014, 01:05:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327196 Posts in 13393 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Things players think are bad but really aren't
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Things players think are bad but really aren't  (Read 1351 times)
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2013, 05:57:55 PM »

To be fair most games with random encounters usually have some sort of item that ward off enemies for a set time...unless I'm just drawing from a super small sample size haha.

Yeah they are annoying to activate every few minutes, and it becomes a bit of a cash dump, but that's usually enough to traverse the zone isn't it? I for one don't really mind random battles.

Some do,
some don't,
some say they do but don't,
and some have them but its not nearly enough.

Of course the real problem is for when you're trying to look for that one encounter....

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2013, 08:24:56 PM »

Random battles aren't a problem.

Even frequent random battles aren't a problem.

The problem is when you have a lot of random battles with really long load in/load out times.

...where you learn that she's not only pregnant but nine months pregnant when you just got married two major towns ago

Hahah.

Hahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Yeah, uh... totally implying the /passage of time there/. Not implying anything else at all. Nopers.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 02:02:20 AM »

To me, the biggest "feature" which I never would have expected to miss is the inability to immediately retry a battle.  I remember being very excited when I learned that some games had a soft reset by holding the shoulder buttons while pressing start + select.  It would make sense that cutting out this process entirely should make me happy.

I don't think anything breaks my immersion, sense of accomplishment, or desire to do better quite like unlimited, instant retries.  I died ~187 times in The Last of Us on normal.  The game claims I beat it.  In my head, I feel like the ending I EARNED involves Joel being dragged away in the grill of a truck.  The same for FF13.  I beat it, we're heroes Snow!  HEROES!  Nothing can stop us!  Noth- oh crap I got one-shot by a behemoth again, retry - NOTHING! HEROES!
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 09:43:24 PM »

What if a game had random battles, but you had fewer in a given area the higher your level was? and if you were at a certain experience level, you wouldn't get any battles at all -- thus, you can't grind at all, and you stop having regular battles when they quit being a threat?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 11:23:14 PM »

What if a game had random battles, but you had fewer in a given area the higher your level was? and if you were at a certain experience level, you wouldn't get any battles at all -- thus, you can't grind at all, and you stop having regular battles when they quit being a threat?

Didn't Lost Odyssey basically do that (or did it forget about the whole, turning off encounters part of it)?

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2013, 11:38:15 PM »

Panzer Dragoon Saga just basically made enemies in an area completely extinct.  Random battles would start off semi-frequently until you suddenly had none.
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2013, 03:39:49 AM »

I think the overall mood and flow of the game really decides if random battles work or not. Obviously the old way of loading and having a fight is very cumbersome, but I'd love to see more games transition smoothly from battle to exploration. That married with a fast paced, challenging, and fun combat system could lead to some very innovative games.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2013, 04:49:50 AM »

I think the overall mood and flow of the game really decides if random battles work or not. Obviously the old way of loading and having a fight is very cumbersome, but I'd love to see more games transition smoothly from battle to exploration. That married with a fast paced, challenging, and fun combat system could lead to some very innovative games.

You mean like Xenoblade Chronicles (and to a much lesser extent, FFXII).

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2013, 01:13:44 PM »

Didn't Lost Odyssey basically do that (or did it forget about the whole, turning off encounters part of it)?

The only problem with Lost Odyssey is that, if I remember correctly, battles only gave you decent experience for one or two levels.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: