Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 03:41:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327872 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Dumb Laws (the site that never fails to amuse me)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dumb Laws (the site that never fails to amuse me)  (Read 955 times)
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:33:18 PM »

http://www.dumblaws.com

I'm sure the common question is "is this for real?"  I would think that with all the ludicrous nonsense happening in this wacky world, truth is stranger than fiction.  And the way things are regressing, I wouldn't be surprised if some of these stupid laws are revisited. 

So what are some funny ones from your home state?  What are some that you found particularly amusing? 

One of my personal favorites is in Danville PA where fire hydrants must be checked one hour before each fire.  I also like that in NYC it's against the law to greet others with your thumb on your nose and wiggling your fingers.  Oh, and Manville NJ where you can't offer whiskey or cigarettes to zoo animals. 

So, yeah, dumb laws in your state or even country...

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 09:45:51 PM »

"Those wishing to purchase a television must also buy a license." - UK

I can understand why that may seem dumb to foreigners, but it's not actually a dumb law. All the money goes to the BBC, and since they are publicly funded through the TV License, they have to uphold a certain standard of quality. The BBC is one of my favourite things about the UK and I doubt we would have it without the TV License.

Now, for an actual dumb one.

"You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight."

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 09:51:40 PM »

Some of the dumb laws really aren't that dumb.  I live in New Jersey.  It and Oregon are the only states where we're not allowed to pump our own petrol at the petrol station.  Honestly, I'm okay with that.  I can pump my own petrol with little effort and often prefer that so I don't have to waste time waiting around for the attendant, but the conveniences indulges my inner spoilt brat.  

And I love BBC.  BBC US is the only news network I trust (more than normal) these days.  

EDIT:  Apparently, I'd be screwed in Thailand.  It's illegal to leave the house sans skivvies, and I go commando. 
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 09:54:09 PM by Dincrest » Logged

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 10:29:02 PM »

Actually, most of these laws make at least some sense when you think about it. Its just that most of these laws have either been taken out of context, worded badly, or written before the Civil War.

Unless you're an idiot who's trying to vote.

Or trying to go whale fishing in a landlocked state.

Or trying to make love in any other way aside from Missionary.

Or meeting another train at an intersection, in which case neither shall proceed until the other has.

Or trying to bring your horse to the Fountain Inn without first making it don pants.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 11:12:48 PM »

"You can only shoot a Welsh person with a bow and arrow inside the city walls and after midnight."

That's not dumb! You gotta put SOME restriction on it, otherwise they'd all be extinct.

Anyway, going through the Ohio laws:

The Ohio driverís education manual states that you must honk the horn whenever you pass another car.

Definitely not true. As someone who had my temps renewed seven times before not getting a license, I read that mofo a lot.

Canton:
If one loses their pet tiger, they must notify the authorities within one hour.

Not a dumb law. There was a massive escape of exotic pets around here back in 2011, and the end results were pretty tragic.

Power Wheels� cars may not be driven down the street.

HOoooboy. I don't know of any particular incidents, but...

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 11:22:44 PM »

Only in West Virginia...
It is legal for a male to have sex with an animal as long as it does not exceed 40 lbs.

insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 11:37:12 PM »

Ohio has/had something against buying corn flakes on sundays.

after midnight

That'd be always though.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 12:31:17 AM »

Only in West Virginia...
It is legal for a male to have sex with an animal as long as it does not exceed 40 lbs.

What's the weight limit for a woman?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 05:56:28 AM »

We removed a lot of our old pre independence laws in 2006. Most of them were not praciced anyway such as it being illegal for Irish and English to marry or for it to be illegal to speak Irish. Still have plenty of strange ones though.

Jewish people can't own a suit of armour (removed in 2006)

A publican cannot go after a customer who received drink on credit. removed in 2006 :(

A constable may detain any potatoes leaving Northern Ireland ( Still technically active in the North)

The penalty for suicide was death by hanging (repealed 1964)

The Irish were banned from having facial hair (removed in 2006)

We also had a law that made it illegal to place someone in the stocks and pelt rotten tomatoes at them but thankfully it has been repealed in 2005. Yay for the return of pillory!

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 06:36:05 AM »

It is legal to smoke pot, buy it, or have less than 5 grams with you.

They forget the dumb part of the law: it's legal for coffeeshops to sell pot, but there is no legal way for them to aquire pot to sell.

Prostitution is legal but the prostitutes must pay taxes like any other business.

Wait, how is that dumb? Just because morals vary doesn't mean this law is dumb.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 07:08:40 AM »

Oh Texas, you make me laugh and be sad at the same time:

Up to a felony charge can be levied for promoting the use of, or owning more than six dildos.

One must acknowledge a supreme being before being able to hold public office.
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 03:30:19 PM »

Illinois, first will start with laws that I don't think are dumb.

It is against the law to have sex with a corpse in Illinois

Sex offenders in Illinois are prohibited from participating in holiday events like handing out candy at Halloween and Easter or dressing like Santa at Christmas, except under specific circumstances

Maybe the candy's a bit much, especially depending on the crime. But do you really want a sex offender santa?

I don't really get why these are on the site. But for the good ones...

You can drink under 21 IF you're in a cooking class.

Fuzzy dice on your mirror are not only tacky. They're a crime.

The english language is not to be spoken.
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 07:30:45 PM »

Only in West Virginia...

That does not surprise me about WV
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 07:35:48 PM »

If you are released from prison, it is required that you are given a handgun with bullets and a horse, so you can ride out of town.

Welp, I know what to do if I ever want a gun.
Can I trade the horse for a pony?
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 07:54:01 PM »

Be careful what you wish for.  If you ask for a pony, you may get a figurine of Fluttershy or Rainbow Dash. 

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: