Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 07:32:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338516 Posts in 13855 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  The Legend of Zelda Topic (MM3DS announced!)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda Topic (MM3DS announced!)  (Read 646 times)
glassjawsh
insolent cur

corn is no place for a mighty warrior

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2014, 10:03:16 AM »

I am with you Grim, the whole being timed thing bothers me in any game its why even though I think the atelier games should be fun I can't get into them because I am timed lol. But all said and done I didn't dislike Majora's Mask for that reason the main reason I have pretty much disliked it and every Zelda game after Ocarina of Time is they just have so much bullcrap to wade through. You have to catch bugs,run races,do almost impossible archery games and so much more Zelda games use to be about adventure not mini games. I didn't mind it for Ocarina of Time because it was my first time experiencing it in a Zelda game but every Zelda game after the amount of bullcrap has doubled it feels like and it ended my love for the franchise I never tried Skyward Sword maybe it wasn't as bad but I doubt it lol.

What (I think) he said
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 12:09:43 PM by glassjawsh » Logged

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2014, 11:42:53 AM »

Am I the only person on this board who found the Inverted Song of Time, or at least noted that time doesn't advance on the Inventory Screen?

What?! You mean time actually stops when you pause the game?! What kind of madness is this?! I'm shocked.

In all seriousness, I actually did pause the game and turn the TV off for a few hours while I did other things with frequency both times I played MM. It was just still annoying that I actually had to do that in dungeons, or when I was not able to access an Owl statue to temp save. Sleep mode will be a definite boon, and they may come up with some other means of temp saving like allowing you to temp save anywhere and anytime and making the owl statues only a means of teleportation (that would be nice actually). It's just that the save system as it stands is counter-intuitive to its portability.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2014, 11:59:51 PM »

I have a strange relationship with Majora's Mask: Love the tone, love the setting, even found the time thing really intriguing. But I disliked the dungeons and bosses enough that I don't really feel like playing through the game again.

Also, given the recent topics on this board... I kind of want to see some crossover artwork of the Majora's Mask moon looming over Midgar.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2014, 12:17:23 PM »

Edit for more
I'm dying to play it from a plot and atmosphere perspective.  Certainly not many games, let alone the ZELDA series, have had a title that specifically looks into themes of despair and desperation.  I mean, look at the fucking mirror shield in this game, seeing how the game is mostly viewed 3rd person view of Link's back, you get to see this agonizing face for the rest of the game sitting on your back.  Also, I love how the Happy Mask Sales Man is designed to be extremely mysterious and unsettling; and one way they do this is how he doesn't really move naturally as much as the camera simply cuts to a new action

The more I've seen of the game (I watched Chuggaconroy's LP, but I'm ashamed to admit *I* never beat it), the more impressed I was that this such a brilliant way to cut up and reassemble Ocarina of Time assets into something so unique and interesting.  Also, I've said it before, but I think the way the "moon crash" was handled in this game was much more interesting than FF7's potential meteor crash (but I guess your mileage may vary since their contexts and stories are still quite different).  I love how, unlike FF7, Majora's Mask is about failing to save the world.  Generally every time you "reset" the 3 days it's because you "failed" and have abandoned the world to try again and make more progress.  After you finish a dungeon and things "get better" in that area (the Swamp isn't poisoned, the Gorons stop freezing their rocks off), you make it "bad" again when you reset the 3 day limit so they're inevitable go back to their poisoned or frozen states.

Comparison screenshots!!!
http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/heres-31-screenshots-comparing-majoras-mask-3d-to-the-n64-version#.VFz6k4t4qjI
I love that some places got complete new detail overhauls, 'things' actually look like REAL THINGS now (and not pixleated messes).  Even small aesthetic changes work like more elaborate doorways and new furniture.  I also love that the lighting is much more interesting, in some places much more colourful -- but I like that it doesn't neglect some of the harsh blacks in the original.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 03:07:43 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Damacon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2014, 12:55:43 PM »

I agree with you Dice that as far as Zelda games go this was the most unique with its twisted atmosphere they kind of tried to recreate it with the Twilight Princess to some degree but it was a much lighter version. I beat this game but I never really played it, I just did the bare minimum to complete it and skipped all the side nonsense so I can't even remember most of it other than some Goron snowy mountain that it took me forever to get in to cause I was doing it wrong lol.

In fact looking back this game actually was pretty good as the dungeons were tricky and used the masks to the fullest. Its kind of like Final Fantasy 8 for me I didn't like it when I got it but seeing what they are doing now it makes me appreciate it more haha.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 01:00:51 PM by Damacon » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2014, 04:17:09 PM »

I have a strange relationship with Majora's Mask: Love the tone, love the setting, even found the time thing really intriguing. But I disliked the dungeons and bosses enough that I don't really feel like playing through the game again.

Strange, I thought it probably had the best dungeons in the series. I especially loved the side dungeons which were about as big as the main ones. Only one that didn't really do it for me was the snowy mountain cave dungeon. I'm actually not a huge fan of OoTs dungeons. I thought it was an amazing game for it's time, and a lot of the side stuff was wondrous, but there were so many dungeons that annoyed/bored the crap out of me. Twilight Princess had some decent dungeons, though I find that they tend to drag in the second half.

I really hope they adopt a darker style with the next Zelda. All my favorite Zelda games are dark, which is weird because I typically don't like super dark games, but Zelda can only be so dark and I think it is very refreshing the way the dark parts contrast with the lighter fairytale side of the Zelda universe. Every time it goes super light like SS or WW, I just feel "meh" about the whole atmosphere.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Damacon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2014, 04:40:05 PM »

Something I felt they always should of done in Zelda games is make the bosses have as many hits in them as you have hearts. The bosses were semi hard back in the old days when you were limited movement link but with all the cool things you can do nowadays 3 hit death is just so anti climatic.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2014, 06:47:32 PM »

Something I felt they always should of done in Zelda games is make the bosses have as many hits in them as you have hearts. The bosses were semi hard back in the old days when you were limited movement link but with all the cool things you can do nowadays 3 hit death is just so anti climatic.

I'd only go for that if bosses had less predictable patterns. Once you figure out *how* to defeat a boss, making us repeat that process 10-20 times would be horrifyingly dull.
Alisha

Z0eila@hotmail.com Z0eila
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2014, 07:07:58 PM »

to me majora's mask marks a missed opportunity for the series. to me the masks was like having multiple playable characters. wich was something i wish they followed up on. if i recall in twilight princess link even joins a team that had the potential for this but it of course didnt happen.

“Normal is not something to aspire to, it's something to get away from.”
Damacon

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2014, 08:08:38 PM »

I'd only go for that if bosses had less predictable patterns. Once you figure out *how* to defeat a boss, making us repeat that process 10-20 times would be horrifyingly dull.

Unfortunately in most cases you are right, you are wishing if only there was some kind of item or weapon that I could somehow use to defeat this boss but I just have no idea which one I should use sadface!!! But maybe if they went in thinking the boss might last for longer than 3 minutes they would do more cool boss fights. I mean hell they don't even got to look too far the Metroid games for the game cube and Wii other than the zero one bleh had amazing boss fights that really didn't stray to much from the zelda thinking.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2014, 02:45:28 PM »

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/majoras-mask-3d-has-been-in-development-for-years-new-features-to-be-announ

The idea of new features make my butt tingle. 

I honestly believe Wind Waker was one of the rare ports done *perfectly right* (YEAH, BLOOM AND ALL).

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2014, 04:22:53 PM »

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/majoras-mask-3d-has-been-in-development-for-years-new-features-to-be-announ

The idea of new features make my butt tingle. 

I honestly believe Wind Waker was one of the rare ports done *perfectly right* (YEAH, BLOOM AND ALL).

I can't really imagine any new features beyond making easier to skip forward in time and maybe make the Great Fairy Sword not a C-Button Item (even if it means that you can't just flagrantly switch between two different swords on the fly). I guess they could give the transformational masks an added upgrade to make them slightly more versatile, or at least less region specific, but they don't really need them. Alternatively, they could make the Zora Eggs quest less tedious, or make it so that you can get through Ikana Valley without having to pick up a bunch of masks or something.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2014, 04:49:32 PM »

I can't really imagine any new features beyond *list*

Most of WW HD's "additions" were general ideas to indeed make the game less tedious.  If that's done then I'm more than happy with that.  You missed maybe less repetitive use of the Ocarina, specifically for the last dungeon. x)

Certainly the touch screen item mapping took OoT 3DS's Water Temple from being one of the worst dungeons in the entire series to something infinitely more tolerable.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2014, 05:51:48 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/11/14/legend-zelda-majoras-mask-3d-changes-boss-fights-adds-fishing/

Fishing confirmed. GOTY 2015!

They're also adjusting the bosses, to which I say, that Swamp Temple boss desperately needed it. The others, not so much. Then again, I don't think I really want to have to fight any of the bosses as a Deku Scrub.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2014, 06:58:56 PM »

The exclusive New 3DS content is actually being able to play as something that's not a Deku Scrub.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: