Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 06, 2016, 04:25:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
376858 Posts in 15087 Topics by 2330 Members
Latest Member: Sorrowmoon
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Saga Scarlet Grace announced for PSVita
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Saga Scarlet Grace announced for PSVita  (Read 2222 times)
Dice
I'm fart and I'm smunny
AMG A GIRL

...AND STEVEN.

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2015, 07:59:17 PM »

RS2 is in fan-translation hell

Didn't SE recently port RS2 to iOS in Japan? I wonder if the programming behind that version is a) accessible to modding and b) a cleaner experience to edit than the SFC version?

Probably not due to being yet another emulated ROM dump. That's the problem when nobody bothers to archive their code or production materials.

The above screenshot is what happens when programmers also don't bother doing sensible things like keeping displayed text all in one place, use text code instead of just creating the characters wholesale as images or denote where line breaks are or where the hard limit of text boxes was programmed in (so that you don't run into issues of needing to insert a fourth or fifth text box in a cutscene that is specifically designed to only display three; no more, no less), among a myriad of other issues that takes years to deal with because none of these games were made with non-Japanese audiences in mind on top of being wordy as fuck.

And that's only the technical issues....

On the bright side, at least there's somebody still working to release a functional fanslation of RS2. Many fanslations either just bow out or disappear up their own asses when faced with the above or worse.

oh lord... those screens.  

WA2 has a hack translation job, but that'd be putting down a lot of good efforts by a lot of good groups then xD
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 09:04:58 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Nilson
RPGFan Editor

Your mother and I think you should leave.

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 02:25:35 PM »

Yeah, I've been following aeon genesis' translation for...what seems like forever!

I love Frontier 2 - maybe not love, but like a lot. The backgrounds are gorgeous, and it's got that dreamy Legend of Mana feel to it. Obviously, I rate the FFL games very high >.>

I just realized how much I'm obsessed with JRPG boss dialogue - I'll have to start a thread on it haha

It's my time of the night: http://nilson.itch.io/gravecamp
Chronus ate his children in the Dungeon of Love simply because he had no time to cook a proper meal, my man. He never read the guide to -Fast Food-...
Towns Car Marty
RPGFan Editor

Frog Enthusiast, Ridiculous

View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 09:21:22 AM »

RS2 is in fan-translation hell

Didn't SE recently port RS2 to iOS in Japan? I wonder if the programming behind that version is a) accessible to modding and b) a cleaner experience to edit than the SFC version?

Unless I'm mistaken, I think it was ported to DoCoMo only. I hope I'm wrong though!

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 05:59:05 PM »

Yeah, I've been following aeon genesis' translation for...what seems like forever!

I love Frontier 2 - maybe not love, but like a lot. The backgrounds are gorgeous, and it's got that dreamy Legend of Mana feel to it. Obviously, I rate the FFL games very high >.>

I just realized how much I'm obsessed with JRPG boss dialogue - I'll have to start a thread on it haha

Admittedly, its hard to tell whether that's Ashura from SaGa Legend 1 or Ashura from SaGa Legend 2. You kinda meet him in the exact same goddamn hallway in both games.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: