Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 27, 2014, 01:57:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338591 Posts in 13859 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  It's Kevadu's annual PAX thread!
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: It's Kevadu's annual PAX thread!  (Read 2075 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2013, 02:32:42 AM »

Dude, PAX starts in two days!

Except the pre-PAX parties start tomorrow, and they're a blast.  So it's more like PAX starts tomorrow.  Somebody needs to do a pre-pre-PAX party, then I could write off the whole week...

Annnyway, this is a pretty big year what with the PS4 and Xbox One and all.  I'm sure there will be a lot to see, and many lines to wait in.  Fortunately I have a backlog of Vita games to play in line.

Unfortunately, I don't know of many RPGs that are going to be at the show.  Does anyone know of anything I need to see?  Thanks to PAX tickets being insanely hard to get this year I don't have a Saturday pass.  Just Friday, Sunday, and Monday.  I guess I'll just go to parties on Saturday...

I suppose I should ask my annual question of whether or not there will be any other RPGFanners at the show, but the answer always seems to be no.

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2013, 02:24:13 PM »

One year I'll actually get to go.

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Jotacon

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 02:27:28 PM »

Silly people living on the wrong side of the continent. PAX East is where it's at yo!

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 02:31:26 PM »

Prime is bigger, in Seattle and closer to home for the Penny Arcade crew. ;)

Plus it's in summer. Fuck winter. :P

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2013, 03:13:10 PM »

Unfortunately the weather looks like shit this weekend.  This is the first time I can recall not having nice weather on PAX weekend...

Wonder what the crazy people who line up outside overnight just to get in the exhibit hall first are going to do...

kyuusei
Mr. Lightning Bolt
Administrator

Blame the dragoon.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2013, 06:18:46 PM »

Whatever the weather's like in Seattle is the exact same in Vancouver 99% of the time. Going by that, it's warm and raining. Hope the PAXgoers have fun with that!

NANOMACHINES, SON.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 08:16:46 PM »

Unfortunately the weather looks like shit this weekend.  This is the first time I can recall not having nice weather on PAX weekend...

Wonder what the crazy people who line up outside overnight just to get in the exhibit hall first are going to do...

What are you wearing tomorrow? Ill see if I can find you.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 09:13:20 PM »

Oh, you're going to be there?

I'm probably just going to be wearing a T-shirt and shorts, like tens of thousands of other attendees.  That may not be the most reliable method...

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 09:31:41 PM »

Kevadu needs to sport a red rose on his ear then.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2013, 10:30:18 AM »

Kevadu needs to sport a red rose on his ear then.

Or get an RPGFan tat.

Anyways, can you swing by Barkley 2 and see how that's going?

Edit: And Shantae 3?
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:27:04 PM by Aeolus » Logged

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2013, 02:41:38 PM »

My roommates are there. I am not. I am sad.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2013, 04:00:28 PM »

I'd totally go to one of these but the tickets sell out in minutes.

I'm not huge into waiting in lines for things but I bet I could have fun there.
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2013, 06:46:30 PM »

Oh, you're going to be there?

I'm probably just going to be wearing a T-shirt and shorts, like tens of thousands of other attendees.  That may not be the most reliable method...

Nope, but I'll look at after pictures.  and watch the Q&A Stream.

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2013, 06:59:02 PM »

Akanbe bein all the troll he can be
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2013, 04:10:48 AM »

Stuff I saw today:

Hands on:
Knack
Killzone: Shadowfall
Tearaway
Final Fantasy XIII: Lightning Returns
Rayman Legends
Various indie games that I can't even remember all the names of...

Demonstrations (running in real time being played by a PR guy but attendees didn't get to try it themselves):
Infamous: Second Son
Watchdogs
X-Com Enemy Within

Obviously I spent a lot of time at the Sony booth today.  My my objective was to get some hands-on time with the PS4 and I did.  Knack felt like a pretty straightforward 3D platformer, but it was fun.  Killzone was just multiplayer.  It seemed fine, but it's not a genre I really care for so I don't know what to say.  I'm a bit disappointed they weren't showing off the single-player at all because at least from what we've seen in trailers it looks like a significant departure for the series.

BTW, the PS4 controller feels fantastic.  They really did improve on the Dualshock 3's weaknesses without making any drastic changes.  Though I am a tad disappointed they didn't adopt a clicky d-pad like on the Vita, because I really love the Vita's d-pad...

Honestly I was pretty disappointed by Tearaway.  It felt really gimmicky.  Well, at least a lot of it did.  The way it used the back touch to control bounce pads for jumping and stuff was actually kind of fun.  But I found the way it kept trying to stick me in the game--taking pics of my face with the front camera and stuff like that--really annoying.  I play video games to escape reality, not to stare at my ugly mug.  Also, the whole mechanic of "sticking your finger through the paper" mechanic with the back touch panel seemed completely pointless.  It didn't mesh with the rest of the gameplay at all.  It was just like: OK now it's time to hit things with your finger, now back to platforming.

Lightning Returns was...ugh.  I tried to go into it with an open mind, but I disliked pretty much everything I saw.  I didn't care for the new combat system, the storytelling was garbage as expected, and the whole costume system really does come off as blatant fanservice.  The victory poses and stuff were just so unnecessary...and completely out of character, at least for what little character Lightning had.

Rayman Legends wasn't much of a sneak peak.  I think the game is already out in some parts of the world and it comes out here in just a couple of days.  Naturally they had the full version of the game running.  But hey, it didn't have a line (something that's pretty darn rare at this convention) so I figured why not try it out.  It felt great and looked great as expected.  Really solid platformer, but I didn't play it enough to contrast it with Origins or something.

I did want to check out Titanfall to see what all the hype was about, but jesus that game had a long line.  That's going to be a project for another day...it may take the whole day...

Anyway, since I don't have a Saturday ticket I guess I get to relax tomorrow.  Well, I might go to some PAX-related parties that don't require a badge...

Edit:
Oh yeah, one indie game I tried that I definitely did remember the name of is That Dragon, Cancer.  It's hard to even call it a game, really, but it certainly was a unique experience.  I'm not sure I could call it an enjoyable experience, but I'm glad projects like this exist.  It shows that the medium really can be used for different things.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 04:13:41 AM by Kevadu » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: