Author Topic: Games so good you got sad when it was over

Dice

• I'm fart and I'm smunny
  • AMG A GIRL
  • RPGFan and Dice forever...
    • View Profile
    • My DeviantArt site!  Come, stay, laugh, cry.
Re: Games so good you got sad when it was over
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2016, 10:33:33 PM »
Grandia II is the only game in recent memory where I distinctly remember thinking "MOAR POSTSCRIPT PLZ!" (which is nuts when you consider it's almost 45 minutes long)

I remember feeling like the ending was one of the biggest copouts in video game history:

Code: [Select]
The whole game plays the two women off each other in a love triangle, kinda sappy, yeah, but it works. There's even an incredibly romantic scene with Elena towards the end that makes it feel like things have been resolved. And then... NOPE, Ryudo just takes off for no reason and avoids getting together with either, planning on coming back later to sort it out. I felt this was a huge copout, with the writers not wanting to commit to anything. Really ticked me off. Didn't feel natural either.

This happens way too often in love triangle plots.  For that reason, I give a shiny gold star to how FF7 "handled it".
While I'd never go full-otaku and, like, destroy the game disc and set it on fire, it does suck when your "ship sinks".  ...c'est la vie.
http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!

Aeolus

• This is the Monado's Powerbomb!
  • Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2016, 02:09:44 AM »
Grandia II is the only game in recent memory where I distinctly remember thinking "MOAR POSTSCRIPT PLZ!" (which is nuts when you consider it's almost 45 minutes long)

I remember feeling like the ending was one of the biggest copouts in video game history:

The whole game plays the two women off each other in a love triangle, kinda sappy, yeah, but it works. There's even an incredibly romantic scene with Elena towards the end that makes it feel like things have been resolved. And then... NOPE, Ryudo just takes off for no reason and avoids getting together with either, planning on coming back later to sort it out. I felt this was a huge copout, with the writers not wanting to commit to anything. Really ticked me off. Didn't feel natural either.

This happens way too often in love triangle plots.  For that reason, I give a shiny gold star to how FF7 "handled it".
While I'd never go full-otaku and, like, destroy the game disc and set it on fire, it does suck when your "ship sinks".  ...c'est la vie.

I for one have never really hated a ship sinking if there's a good reason for it (sorry Elinica, but Ike fights for his friends), but for every good reason to moor or sink a ship, there's a hundred of war crime levels of torpedoing from killing off a lover to make room for his identical twin brother, sudden and inexplicable relationships forming completely out of nowhere, female characters just getting straight up written out of the plot, bad and unnecessary pairings of the spares, somebody (usually that bland ass power fantasy jackass otherwise known as the protagonist) pulling the Tenchi Solution on everyone else or in this case, a total copout.

That said,
at least in Ryudo's case, it makes sense why he took the pussy's way out. Elena's really high maintenance while Millenia would've had him totally whipped within a week (that's Skye's job). Its weak as hell, but it makes sense why he would do such a thing (that, and in my headcannon, he totally hooked up with Roan).
In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.

Ramza

• Enjoying Retirement
  • Editor Emeritus
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rpgfan.com/
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2016, 12:52:45 AM »
hmm... games that left me with sadness when I was done.

999 -- moreso than VLR. With VLR, I knew what was coming next. At the end of 999 I had the Alice mystery and one of the most amazing endings ever.
Alundra -- I've never played a final dungeon in an Action RPG more worthwhile than Alundra's. I want a sequel to THAT dungeon (the Lake Shrine). For real.
Chrono Trigger -- Not so much now, but when I was a kid? After I found all the endings, I wanted there to be MORE endings, but there weren't. I'd done it all. When I got the DS version and played out the extra ending (that explains in a retcon way how Magus = Guile), I was both pleased and dissatisfied.
Lunar 2: Eternal Blue -- the epilogue scenario and that satisfying ending. I wanted more. I wanted it to morph into a Sim game to repopulate earth (with ALL kinds of life, not just humans, pervs!). Extremely satisfying.
NieR -- the happiest of all possible endings still basically means humanity is over as we know it. So that's depressing. And then ... yeah. Everything. Kaine with endings B-D, hearing the other voice, learning everything ... oof. So perfect, so sad.
Persona 3 (Portable) -- playing as a female protagonist, and then that ending after all those S.Links, it did something to me.
Shadow Hearts (3): From The New World -- I don't care what ANYBODY ELSE says. This game was great. I loved it. And the end battles with "Lady" -- when you know who she is and what she's done, and what you're "left" with having to face ... it weighs on your heart.
Star Ocean: The Second Story -- I think the ending music "We Form In Crystals" really got to me. I wanted there to be a third planet to travel to or something. I needed more.
Vagrant Story -- I start crying when Sydney gives his final speech. The tears crank up during the tree/hill/family sequence (disc 2 track 24 "Truth" on the OST), and the tears never stop, straight thru the last battle, and into the ending. This game makes me cry, and I want to cry more just thinking about it. Good tears.
Ys (I &) II -- The ending of Ys II, paired in juxtaposition with Ys Origin, is just so painful and depressing. The "living art" of Ys II Chronicles especially nails me. Just ... that image. If you know, you know.

TheCaterStreetHangman

• "If you want to be strong, learn how to fight alone."
    • View Profile
I wouldn't say sad, but...
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2016, 03:22:23 AM »
When I finished Legend of Dragoon, I felt "What? That's it?"
Not many games make me feel that.
"All it takes is a spark to ignite a fire." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVWBFkaXMyw

Mickeymac92

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2016, 03:29:54 PM »
I know this happened once. I don't remember which specific game it was, though. I know there are quite a few other games that I was sad was over...only to find out it wasn't actually over. And after a point, I began to wish it had actually ended a while back...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes

Artimicia

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 06:17:59 PM »
Actually a better answer is probably Earthbound.

ZeronHitaro

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2016, 04:40:27 PM »
Hrmm...lemme think far back for this one...

Mega Man Legends 2- This one first and foremost. Anyone who has any love for the sub-series knows what a life-time punch in the gut this one was. These days though...I think it's best left sleeping. MO#9 pretty much showed to me that old Keiji doesn't have the desire or ability to produce a decent story-plot for that kind of universe anymore. Time will tell with Bloodstained whether or not that applies to all genres or just his Mega Man-verse. And a Capcom version? No. Just...no.

Grandia Xtreme- Let's shove the elephants out the door first. Yes, the story was meh. VA was pooooor (even Mark Hamil didn't really deliver much of a performance here). And the character's were cookie cutter at best. Edge Maverick protoforms at worst (I'm looking at you Evan. >.> ). But the combat...mmm. Sure it might not 'look' as smooth as III's but it handled the best the series has ever done. Combined with fun bosses, rocking music, and a surprisingly enjoyable and deep level of customization per character...I'd gladly buy this again just for something to zen-grind. Even more so than any Disgaea game. So when I got to the end of the post-game 100F dungeon it was very much a "...where's the next 100? :( "

Sonic Generations- So much sadness on so many levels. Never was there as good a game as this, never will there ever be again for the poor hedgehog. Well...at least not until SEGA/Nintendo goes bankrupt and someone with actual common design sense decides to hold the license.

Fallout: New Vegas- Helped quite a bit coming off the heels of it's lesser brother. FO3's original and 'redone' endings both invoke a sense of "Is it over yeeeeeet?" by the time you get there through sheer burnout. But the time you finish New Vegas it's very much a longing for more stories in this region. New Vegas 2 would be highly welcome, although it'll never happen since FO games like to bounce from region to region.

Any Civilization Game- >.> ...fess up. Anyone who knows the 'One More Turn' feeling knows the worst part of any Civ game is when the victory condition hits. XD

Virtue's Last Reward- I have the opposite feelings of Ramza here. Plot Threads I can tolerate. So long as the localized story is wrapped up at least 90% of the way, I'm fine with that. You can tease any little things that aren't immediately relevant to the current tale so long as you wrap that bugger up. But VLR wasn't just a cliffhanger...it was a cliff-abyss.

Consider the whole game is essentially NOTHING BUT A PREQUEL/SET-UP. X-X
Let's not discount either this was a 4-year abyss. With at least 50+% of that being a time period where it seemed ZTD was perma-canned. That made VLR's ending all the more depressing.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 04:42:37 PM by ZeronHitaro »