Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2015, 03:35:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
363127 Posts in 14735 Topics by 2288 Members
Latest Member: Wallflower
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  AGE interested in bringing the highly acclaimed Muv Luv series to English market
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: AGE interested in bringing the highly acclaimed Muv Luv series to English market  (Read 182 times)
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 30, 2015, 10:33:38 AM »

It looks like Muv Luv and Muv Luv Alternative are  going to get A English kickstarter campaign by its creator AGE. This is great news as Alternative is considered one of the best, if not the best Visual Novels ever created.
http://muvluv.degica.com/
https://www.facebook.com/muvluvseries
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb480/Yumekichi11/Picture%2033/h443tgv_zpseff8348a.gif
(NSFW Warning: Gore)

No thank you. Total Eclipse was one of the few Mecha anime I outright dropped after a couple episodes, I'd rather not see more of that shlock...

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
I Draw Stuff Sometimes
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 01:35:10 AM »

http://i1207.photobucket.com/albums/bb480/Yumekichi11/Picture%2033/h443tgv_zpseff8348a.gif

No thank you. Total Eclipse was one of the few Mecha anime I outright dropped after a couple episodes, I'd rather not see more of that shlock...
Total Eclipse is a side story spinoff set inside the  setting of Muv luv Alternative . It is frankly not very good, and has nothing to do with the main series.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 04:32:45 AM »

Total Eclipse is a side story spinoff set inside the  setting of Muv luv Alternative . It is frankly not very good, and has nothing to do with the main series.

And this is on top of the fact that the anime itself was just plain bad.

But the Muv Luv series does illustrate one of my bigger problems with VNs being called 'well-written' and not 'well-written for a VN'. You could have the most fantastic setting, or the most tragically violent, but no matter what, you're not escaping the male power-fantasy nature of it (well, aside from Otomones which are Yaoi fan-bait). The entire genre can barely operate outside of the Harem genre and their scope almost never extends past the male protagonist's immediate circle of associate + concubines save for his own personal antagonist(s), and it colors the hell out of the narrative.

That said, I'm always up for something that has the US nuke the living hell out of Canada just because we baka-gaijins are always looking for an excuse to let the ultimate evil/unforgivable sins/nukes fly and proceed to sit back and happily munch down on our Freedom Fries and Apple Pies while we watch the rest of the world fucking burn. #FuckEngland #HappyFourth #BakaGaijin #CanadaDay

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2015, 11:35:33 AM »

Didn't MuvLuv start out as an eroge and later versions were sanitized?  So the question is whether the English releases will be the adult or all-ages versions.  That's a tricky one because all-ages has wider marketing potential, but the hardcore VN fans will cry foul at the adult content being removed, much like they did for If My Heart Had Wings.  I don't know or have sales data, but I wonder if that hurt IMHHW at all? 

I have nothing funny to say.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 01:14:11 PM »

Didn't MuvLuv start out as an eroge and later versions were sanitized?  So the question is whether the English releases will be the adult or all-ages versions.  That's a tricky one because all-ages has wider marketing potential, but the hardcore VN fans will cry foul at the adult content being removed, much like they did for If My Heart Had Wings.  I don't know or have sales data, but I wonder if that hurt IMHHW at all? 

They stated that they'll work on the all-age version first.
Which would indicate that the lewd version would come after.
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 02:18:05 PM »

And this is on top of the fact that the anime itself was just plain bad.

But the Muv Luv series does illustrate one of my bigger problems with VNs being called 'well-written' and not 'well-written for a VN'. You could have the most fantastic setting, or the most tragically violent, but no matter what, you're not escaping the male power-fantasy nature of it (well, aside from Otomones which are Yaoi fan-bait). The entire genre can barely operate outside of the Harem genre and their scope almost never extends past the male protagonist's immediate circle of associate + concubines save for his own personal antagonist(s), and it colors the hell out of the narrative.

That said, I'm always up for something that has the US nuke the living hell out of Canada just because we baka-gaijins are always looking for an excuse to let the ultimate evil/unforgivable sins/nukes fly and proceed to sit back and happily munch down on our Freedom Fries and Apple Pies while we watch the rest of the world fucking burn. #FuckEngland #HappyFourth #BakaGaijin #CanadaDay
Less typical power fantasy, more wish-fulfillment for the reader. Most story focused VN protagonists are pretty "average" at best with nothing being exceptional about them except maybe intellect,this is especially prevalent in romantic comedies.There are  some VNs  mainly shounen oriented ones that go the pure power fantasy direction though.  The genre can also function just fine without being "harem"  Saya no Uta,  Planetarian, Swan Song and Liar Soft's " What a Beautiful" series  Are great VNs without having A harem aspect to them. Also there are more graphic adventure oriented VNs like 999 or Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward  that are not even romance focused at all.
Chronix112

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 02:37:30 PM »

Wouldn't miss anything of value even if there were no adult content version. Sure there will people that will bitch and complain but its not like IMHHW where an actual route got  gutted a long with a bunch of unnecessary edits.The only thing i'd worry about is the
Code:
gorn edited. There is one scene that would lose a great deal of its emotional impact without  it, cause its pretty brutal
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 02:47:32 PM by Chronix112 » Logged
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 03:14:23 PM »

They stated that they'll work on the all-age version first.
Which would indicate that the lewd version would come after.

Then if that's the case, then it's win-win all around. 

And thanks for the clarification Chronix.  I remember with some of Hirameki's stuff like Tea Society of a Witch, two paths were omitted completely. 

I have nothing funny to say.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: