Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 05, 2016, 02:59:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
237303 Posts in 7076 Topics by 2350 Members
Latest Member: octorick
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  General Games
| | |-+  Do You Take the Path?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do You Take the Path?  (Read 98 times)
glassjawsh

Salvum est Vita!

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: May 01, 2016, 08:03:57 PM »

This has nothing to do with branching storylines.

My question is as literal as possible.  If you're on a world map, and there is a dirt path/road to where you're going, do you follow it?  Or do you just go the shortest straighest route?

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2016, 08:28:47 PM »

This has nothing to do with branching storylines.

My question is as literal as possible.  If you're on a world map, and there is a dirt path/road to where you're going, do you follow it?  Or do you just go the shortest straighest route?

Depends on the game.

For Zelda 2, sure I stick to the path where available. Each encounter takes time and resources are limited once you set out from a town.

For Dragon Quest 5, there's not much of a difference between sticking to a path or not sticking to one, so I typically aim for straight from point A to point B.

For Advanced Wars, Trucks like Scouts and Missiles are going to need roads as much as possible since their mobility tanks elsewhere, though Mechs are slow as shit no matter what you do, so its best to let them march wherever like a flood.

For FFT, it's menus all the way down.

And for Beyond the Beyond, everywhere has a ridiculous encounter rate, road or no, and its just simply better to not bother at all.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2016, 09:00:10 PM »

With Pokemon, I always deviate into the tall grasses to find 'em all.  But if my party is weak, I stay the paths.

Games I've given Editor's Choice to:
Ever 17, Hourglass of Summer, Anachronox, Persona PSP, Radiant Historia, To The Moon, Revolution 60
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2016, 11:55:51 PM »

At some point I will walk along the path, probably while grinding.

TASTY!
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2016, 01:02:30 AM »

I leave the path and look for secrets/loot.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2016, 06:31:58 AM »

I leave the path and look for secrets/loot.
Pretty much this.
Artimicia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2016, 09:33:36 AM »

I don't know to be honest, I play games really quite chaotically compared to most I would say.

As in I just kind of am constantly restlessly driving at things and developing weird strategies and such.
Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 10:57:40 AM »

I usually start on the path, but then meander around. Best example I have of this are either Zelda games or Dragon Quest VIII. If I see a clump of trees off the path, you bet I'm going to check that out to see if there is anything there. If not, well, hey, at least I found some trees.
Klutz64

Tactically Engaged in Espionage Action

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2016, 12:45:07 PM »

I don't know to be honest, I play games really quite chaotically compared to most I would say.

As in I just kind of am constantly restlessly driving at things and developing weird strategies and such.

Absolutely! I think if anyone actually watched me play games they'd easily be convinced I had no idea what I was doing. Not because I'm particularly bad (though I'm far from good at most every game I play) but becauseI tend to wander and experiment and just muddle about like an idiot while I try to gather my thoughts.

Hence my online moniker.

My Blog - It's about gaming stuff. You can read it if you want. No pressure. I mean, there's a link there you just have to click on, but... y'know... whatever.
Current Post: Grand Re-re-r-e-re-opening!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: