Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2016, 11:22:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
239184 Posts in 7111 Topics by 2358 Members
Latest Member: BeardyMcBeardface
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  General Games
| | |-+  Ratchet and Clank 2016
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Ratchet and Clank 2016  (Read 273 times)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« on: April 14, 2016, 09:37:44 AM »

So I've been a major fan of this series since probably 2003 or 2004, and aside from Into the Nexus which I didn't play, Full Frontal Assault which was a tower defense variant, and All 4 One which is just fuck horrible, I've played beaten and loved all of em. Bought this new one launch day and MY GOD IT LOOKS AMAZING!!!!

Seriously, it's the best looking game I've ever seen in terms of not actually looking like a video game. This whole game screams dreamworks movie or pixar flick. Beyond that, it's just a great game, it handles super smoothly and plays like the best in the series. They've even streamlined the control scheme to further optimize it for new people, though I'm a little upset they removed the crouch feature for wrench tossing and high jumping. In a single level I was back to strafe jumping and aerial dodging like a champ, which is also funny because the A.I. seems to have improved as well. The basic flip around and fire like mad doesn't work so well anymore, as enemies will fire where you're landing and they move slightly more than they used to. Still it adds to the game rather than taking away as one of the biggest flaws of the series is how easy it could be, and I feel rewarded for killing large groups of enemies and performing those death-defying aerial maneuvers. Not as fond of the Clank segments, as they're pretty much just puzzle solving and most of it is throw a gadgetbot of the appropriate variety at the offending puzzle. Sadly they'll never top the time puzzles in a Crack in Time, but thankfully the banter at some of them do make the puzzles less boring. My biggest complaint right now is the character Cora's voice actress, Bella Thorne. She sounds horrible and has no purpose being in the game alongside such great VAs as Rosario Dawson, John Goodman, Paul Giamatti, and of course James Arnold Taylor and Jim Ward (Ratchet and Clank respectively). Honestly, if you have a ps4, you should buy this game, ESPECIALLY because it's only 40 bucks. It's astounding and a great return to a beautiful franchise.

TASTY!
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2016, 02:03:05 PM »

The Dreamworks/Pixar comparison was made by my roommates when I got Tools of Destruction back when the PS3 was still new.  I can only imagine how much more true that is now.

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2016, 02:21:51 PM »

The Dreamworks/Pixar comparison was made by my roommates when I got Tools of Destruction back when the PS3 was still new.  I can only imagine how much more true that is now.
Beyond compare. Everythinv looks and feels like a part of the scenery. It's truly awe inspiring.

TASTY!
Arvis
Prudish Gerontophobe

Computer Over. Virus = Very Yes.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2016, 03:07:38 PM »

Maybe I'll put this on my list of prospective PS4 games.  Right now there's not much on that list that doesn't have "Final Fantasy" in the title. :P

Current RPG - Fire Emblem Fates: Birthright
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2016, 05:35:05 PM »

Into the Nexus wasn't *terrible* but it's not at the level of the six main-series Ratchet games.  I adore Ratchet & Clank and even wrote a lengthy diatribe on the different games in the series here on the RPGFan forums.  If I owned a PS4 I would buy this game on day 1.  Ratchet & Clank is a fantastic platform-shooter series.  It was basically my Mega Man replacement in the 2000s and early 2010s. 

Rook

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2016, 11:53:36 PM »

Into the Nexus wasn't *terrible* but it's not at the level of the six main-series Ratchet games.  I adore Ratchet & Clank and even wrote a lengthy diatribe on the different games in the series here on the RPGFan forums.  If I owned a PS4 I would buy this game on day 1.  Ratchet & Clank is a fantastic platform-shooter series.  It was basically my Mega Man replacement in the 2000s and early 2010s. 

I played the 1st and really enjoyed it. I think they probably just made too many R&C games over the years that nothing appeared to be anything new. Its best to stick with the 1 game every 3 years thing. The new one looks solid though and damn now I want to play a 3D Mega Man made by Insominac because of you.

Also the movie trailer looks not awful. I might go see it.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2016, 01:41:08 PM »

My ONLY complaint against the game, though it's a tad on the whiny side given the price of the game, is the length. I've cleared it twice now, 6 days since release while still playing the division and having a moderately active work week/gym visits, and I'm about 3 trophies away from the platinum. The only reason I haven't platinum'd it yet is because I missed hittinf 2 bosses with the groovitron and haven't leveled all the guns...yeah, it kinda sucks that I have to run it one more time just to do those, but what can you do?

TASTY!
Maxximum
RPGFan Editor

Fills you with determiantion

View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2016, 06:24:07 AM »

Watched the movie. I found it very underwhelming. I recall the games being edgier and containing a lot more adult humour. Heck, just look at the titles of some of those games: going commando, up your arsenal, quest for booty etc. This was your cookie cutter kids flick, though it still stayed very close to its source material in terms of characters and setting.

DISCLAIMER: I watched a dubbed version, so it's possible that some of the raunchier stuff was lost in translation or simply removed to be more kid friendly.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 06:31:38 AM by Maxximum » Logged

NOW PLAYING:
I can't tell you
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2016, 07:13:15 AM »

Watched the movie. I found it very underwhelming. I recall the games being edgier and containing a lot more adult humour. Heck, just look at the titles of some of those games: going commando, up your arsenal, quest for booty etc. This was your cookie cutter kids flick, though it still stayed very close to its source material in terms of characters and setting.

DISCLAIMER: I watched a dubbed version, so it's possible that some of the raunchier stuff was lost in translation or simply removed to be more kid friendly.
Actually, one of the bigger gripes with this game as well as the movie is the lack of the patented ratchet and clank humor. It was watered down considerably, leaving many fans above the age of 12 thinking wtf?

TASTY!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: