Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 20, 2014, 11:51:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341123 Posts in 13941 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Transistor
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Transistor  (Read 639 times)
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:08:38 PM »

Anyone play this game?
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2014, 09:59:44 PM »

On my "I really wanna fucken play this" but not till sale/more money happens. :(

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633
http://dice963.tumblr.com/

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
RAINBOW PIXEL POWER!!!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2014, 10:27:17 PM »

I kind of figured I would pick it up when I got a PS4...

...I don't have the slightest idea when I'll get a PS4.  Probably not soon, though.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »

I don't really feel like playing it on PC, so I'm gonna wait until I get a PS4, too. But that won't happen until FFXV comes out...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Blace

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 11:41:01 PM »

I have a PS4 and this is on my list, but I have way too big of backlog right now. One day.

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2014, 02:40:33 AM »

It's a pretty good game, guys. Pretty cool battle system that focuses on real-time combat mixed with pause & execute strategy gameplay.
Monsoon
Electric Mayhem
Contributing Editor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2014, 08:15:29 AM »

RPGFan posted two reviews last month:

Robert thought it had some problems
Stephen was a little more positive about it

Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »

Huh. I'm surprised both reviewers had trouble comprehending the plot. Other than the ending, which was intentionally open-ended, the story is fairly straightforward. I'd argue the pacing was weak rather than the overall story being difficult to understand.

Robert says combat doesn't work as advertised, but I'm pretty sure what he complains about is working exactly as it's intended.

PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2014, 10:58:33 AM »

I think the combat works, but it isn't quite as accurate or precise as advertised.  Lots of times I knew exactly what I wanted to do and planned it out, only to have something weird happen where the enemy bounced around completely differently from what was described. 

Glad people are enjoying the game, though.  Wasn't my cup of tea, but I would never begrudge someone's enjoyment. 
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2014, 05:40:43 PM »

Huh, a reviewer on nother site I go to said the plot was hard to comprehend, too, but most of the people I know who played it didn't seem to have a problem understanding it, though the ending caused some discussion. I'm personally looking forward to it more than any retail game on the PS4.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Sagacious-T

Official Pony Thread

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2014, 08:32:56 PM »

I think the combat works, but it isn't quite as accurate or precise as advertised.  Lots of times I knew exactly what I wanted to do and planned it out, only to have something weird happen where the enemy bounced around completely differently from what was described. 

Glad people are enjoying the game, though.  Wasn't my cup of tea, but I would never begrudge someone's enjoyment. 

I think that level of unpredicability was intended with the enemies having slight amount of movement during the execute phase.

My personal complaint with the combat was how it didn't really pan out in the long term. Late game gets pretty repetitive with enemy types. Had the game been an hour longer it would have really dragged.

Also the menu juggling becomes a bit much.

Huh, a reviewer on nother site I go to said the plot was hard to comprehend, too, but most of the people I know who played it didn't seem to have a problem understanding it, though the ending caused some discussion. I'm personally looking forward to it more than any retail game on the PS4.

Without giving anything away, I think most people won't quite understand the openness of interpretation behind the ending. The game's setting and place is rooted in posthumanism/simulation genre sci-fi, which is very rarely touched upon within films, comics, and games. I think going into Transistor with that this is a society in a pseudo-digital world makes everything easier to swallow. Rather, the fictional world should be accepted for it's strictly fictional, ambiguously digital state, to best be enjoyed.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2014, 06:40:42 PM »

i bought this when it came out, played it for an few hours, powered down my PS4, and it never occurred to me to go back and play.

It lacks a certain...je ne sais quois, and as much as I wanted to like it, I just don't see myself going back to it.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: