Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 09:49:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334534 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Phantasy Star Nova (developed by Tri-Ace)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Phantasy Star Nova (developed by Tri-Ace)  (Read 3849 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2013, 09:10:18 PM »

I think EVERYONE is waiting for Valkyrie Profile: Hrist

=(

Please no pseudo time travel crap though
Ivalice Alliance
Valendia Knights of the Peace

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2013, 01:27:38 AM »

I did like Covenant of the Plume, but not on the same level as it's two previous games.  Let's hope we see VP3: Hrist on the PS4...or not.

Currently Playing-The Last Story, The Evil Within, Fable Anniversary
Waiting On-Bloodborne, Final Fantasy Type-O, Final Fantasy XV, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, Wonderflick, The Last Guardian, Shenmue III
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2014, 10:03:11 PM »

1st scan of Phantasy Star Nova since the announcement last September:

Phantasy Star Nova Complete Famitsu Scans -- All Games Beta

Update: 'Prologue' Trailer
« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 04:06:52 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2014, 09:46:21 AM »

I know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I honestly think Phantasy Star Online had a pretty good story, at least in the way it presented, kinda like how Etrian Odyssey presents its story. It gives you a little bit at a time and a lot of it is left to your imagination as to how things actually happened. It's gotten worse since Phantasy Star Universe because it replaced it with banality- Tri-ace being involved will probably just magnify that. The games are still pretty fun to play though.

I'm guessing this and PSO2 arn't coming to the West due to bad sales of PSP1 and 2. I think PSP2 sold like a whopping 70k copies or something in the States?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 09:50:00 AM by Hathen » Logged
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2014, 12:46:15 PM »

Monster Hun---- No!  No.... Phantasy Star.

I wonder what the odds are of seeing this here, so my hype level is at an all too common low.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2014, 04:01:42 PM »

I'm guessing this and PSO2 arn't coming to the West due to bad sales of PSP1 and 2. I think PSP2 sold like a whopping 70k copies or something in the States?

If that were the reason then Sega wouldn't have started working on it.  Those sales numbers were already well known by the time PSO2 came along.

They had a working English build of the game they were promoting with a massive booth at PAX a couple years ago.  I played it.  It was definitely real.  The way they seemed to change their mind and just drop the project afterwards is really odd.

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 06:22:06 PM »

The English build of it was released in Asia, actually, if I recall correctly. They also said they had no plans to bring it out here.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 07:03:03 PM »

The English build of it was released in Asia, actually, if I recall correctly.

Well, yes, but that was very recently.  Like last month recently.  I really don't think that's the version I was talking about because this was years ago and they were promoting it in the US.  Sega really did plan to bring this over at one point...then they quietly changed their minds.  And it's never really been clear why.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 07, 2014, 07:29:21 PM »

*cough*
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #39 on: June 07, 2014, 10:52:56 PM »

YAaaay

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2014, 10:53:42 AM »

YAaaay

Given my lady-boner for tri-Ace, "YAaaay" indeed,

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2014, 04:18:57 PM »

oh my stars and garters
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunderthumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2014, 04:51:37 PM »

Like others, I'm cautiously optimistic about Phantasy Star Ocean.  I'm betting the gameplay will be fun, since it's Tri-Ace.  And I have the same concern as Dice that if you have both an online and an offline mode, one is going to suffer.  Try to please everyone and you end up pleasing nobody, right?  I gripe about that in this old review of Ragnarok DS: http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/ragnarokds/index.html

Forgive me for waxing a little nostalgic, but I reamember Phantasy Star in its early days was all about throwing the formula out the window and pushing the genre.  The first Phantasy Star had a good storyline, developed characters, and *gasp* a female protagonist.  Phantasy Star II took storytelling risks and had some moments that completely shocked me.  Phantasy Star III introduced the generation concept where you'd play as one generation, continue the quest as the kid, then conclude it as the grandkid.  Phantasy Star IV pushed the envelope with its manga-style cutscenes that still look really good today.  I'd love to play another RPG that presents its story scenes using comic book panels like that.  And the first Phantasy Star Online game paved the way for online console RPGing. 

As far as sci-fi aspects go, not every Phantasy Star planet was a tech marvel.  In fact, most of the planets were pretty much fantasy worlds with some tech aspects to them and interplanetary travel wasn't always easily accessible. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
MonCapitan2002

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2014, 11:37:17 PM »

Phantasy Star was my first RPG.  It is because of that game that I became an ardent fan of the genre to begin with.  It's a shame to see it fade into obscurity in the West.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2014, 06:44:59 PM »

So I ended up watching the trailer for this game after the various looks at Xenoblade Chronicles X's opening and I just want to point out just how the crash landing was in comparison. It's just a ship trying to land on a planet, the planet goes pew pew pew, one of the lazors accidentally brushes up against the side of the ship, and after a fade cut the game begins. Whereas Xenoblade's has two alien races showing up and blasting the shit out of each other while simultaneously stomping the Earth, taking out most of whatever was trying to get the hell out of Dodge, and the relevant ship is being doggedly pursued and attacked by a clean up crew sent by one of the aliens, with fights popping up all over the place like inside the dome and alongside the ship as its descending into the atmosphere, then the body of the ship blows up sending debris, pods, and the main dome all over the place, and then you wake up from a pod and the game begins.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: