Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:24:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319179 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Neverending Nightmares, a psychological horror
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Neverending Nightmares, a psychological horror  (Read 283 times)
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:48:54 AM »

link
I had a feeling some of you guys may be interested by this, being a very interesting view on horror, but it looks like it may be on track to wind up being unfunded or barely if at all.
The developer also made this game.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 03:00:05 AM »

I played this at PAX, actually.  I don't know, it didn't really do anything for me.  The horror seemed like a lot of cheap tricks and the animation and stuff was pretty stiff...

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 04:24:00 AM »

Sounds promising. But I have my doubts if they are to achieve their goal in backing the project...

The horror seemed like a lot of cheap tricks and the animation and stuff was pretty stiff...

Well, "horror" is kind of subjective really. It all comes from how effective the atmosphere, design and "feel" of the game (which can also be interpreted as balance) is to the player.

What is scary to someone it can be hilarious or boring as hell for others. I mean if there's something I learned from the now dead/dormant Japanese survival-horror genre, is that scaring the player is not the most important thing. What's important is giving them an interesting experience with moments of tension and/or mystery to spark their imagination.

Seriously screaming "boo!" as loud as you can is not generating horror to the person playing the game, at best they are letting that person to suffer from Phonophobia (tl;dr: Fear of loud sounds).
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 04:27:00 AM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yoda
Sexton Hardcastle

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

a+dark+eclipse
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 10:45:32 AM »

Reminds me of Edward Gorey

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: