Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 31, 2014, 09:40:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327879 Posts in 13423 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Should I play Persona 1 on PS1 or PSP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Should I play Persona 1 on PS1 or PSP?  (Read 2823 times)
Synctor

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 13, 2013, 12:00:31 AM »

Yeah, so I found Persona 1 PSX for cheap at a pawn shop so I bought it. I go to Gamestop later on and they have the PSP version for a good price. Thinking about buying that too. But what should I do?  I hear they changed the skin color of one of the characters. Which version should I play?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 12:16:57 AM »

Play the PSP version.

The translation was redone and it has extra stuff.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 12:21:02 AM »

Mark is so much better when he's black though!

Other than that, yeah the PSP version is the better of the two.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 12:33:48 AM »

Mark is so much better when he's black though!

I know there's a lack of minority representation in games (to say the least), but man I wonder how they cooked up that idea.  It wasn't even a good edit.

I like Karn from Breath of Fire's "transformation" though.  He was black, but like.... "blackface" black.  They made him "tan" almost for a better cause.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2013, 02:40:42 AM »

The psp version is probably the best option.
However the ps1 release has a lower encounter rate and some people dislike the redone soundtrack of the psp release (it is substantially more jpop-y to fit better with the persona 3/4 aesthetic).

The ps1 release lacks the Snow Queen Quest, which is included in the psp release. It is an alternate story path which is mostly pure dungeon crawling. It has a quite neat concept, but is plagued by some pretty archaic game design; huge dungeons with time limits and no oppourtunity to save while in the dungeon, so it's not something I would recommend unless you really like that sort of thing. The conclusion is pretty unsatisfying and the final boss is obnoxious.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 03:52:18 PM »

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think that Persona 1 is terrible and nobody should play it.  I have tried both versions, the PSP version more than once - I bought it thinking that just the PS1 port was bad, and I was wrong.  The Persona 2 duology is so much of an improvement that it's stunning.  Persona 1 is awful, the next five are excellent.  Woo, comma splices. 

Der Jermeister

The Angry Videogame Fur

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2013, 04:13:47 PM »

I wouldn't recommend it, since I found the third and fourth games better (and more playable, as well) than the first and both parts of the second. I don't in fact see how it's humanely possible to play the first and second games without a guide.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2013, 04:52:12 PM »

some people dislike the redone soundtrack of the psp release (it is substantially more jpop-y to fit better with the persona 3/4 aesthetic).

The soundtrack alone is alright. The fact that is the J-pop-y arrangement of the music of the original Persona makes it the most disappointing soundtrack that Meguro did.

Only a few tracks for what I remember are left with the tone and ambience that the original had. Now is all about the Engrish and the catchy rhythms that were never part in the original game (not at least in that way).
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2013, 05:14:09 PM »

I wouldn't recommend it, since I found the third and fourth games better (and more playable, as well) than the first and both parts of the second. I don't in fact see how it's humanely possible to play the first and second games without a guide.

I never had to use a guide for either game. It's pretty easy to navigate your around, especially with the handy-dandy maps, and the battle system is fairly easy to get a grasp of too. I just don't see the issue here.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »

This might be an unpopular opinion, but I think that Persona 1 is terrible and nobody should play it.  I have tried both versions, the PSP version more than once - I bought it thinking that just the PS1 port was bad, and I was wrong.  The Persona 2 duology is so much of an improvement that it's stunning.  Persona 1 is awful, the next five are excellent.  Woo, comma splices. 

I actually agree with you. It's pretty much the only SMT game I don't like, and it's the only game stalling the Shin Megami Tensei marathon I've been itching to do...

I mean, I guess it has a decent story, but the dialogue feels rather poorly written in both versions. I think the PSP version's a little better in that regard, but not by enough and the characters thus far have been forgettable. The combat is just confusing and the PSP version's encounter rate is too high. The graphics haven't aged well, and I'm not a fan of the PSP version's music. I just find it very painful to play.

That said, Persona 2: Innocent Sin is great, and probably my favorite in the Persona sub-series. Graphics aside, it seems to fix nearly every issue I had with Persona 1.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Jotacon
Contributing Editor

In the Name of the Moon, I will Punish you!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »

Yeah, Persona 1 isn't very good. If you don't have your heart set on playing Persona, it might be worthwhile not to.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2013, 09:53:13 PM »

Persona 1 was the only Persona game I liked.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2013, 09:56:31 PM »

Persona 1 was the only Persona game I liked.

Now there's an unpopular opinion.

I thought it was okay. I couldn't finish the PSP version because the encounter rate was ridiculously high. Not sure what they were thinking. Some of the remade soundtrack I enjoyed, but much of the atmosphere of the game was lost because of it.

For instance: they changed this eerily beautiful map theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjefW3OV2ao

Into this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGaMV3xVhhI

I don't get it.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 10:03:07 PM by Fadedsun » Logged

"Oh, a hunter..."
kofvscapcom
Rereveagence

kofvscapcom
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2013, 12:59:33 AM »

persona 1, has not aged very well. keep in mind the original was made in 1996, it has has a lot of mechanics that I just don't have the patience for anymore. I'd say just give the game a pass and move onto the rest of the series.

Roses are red, violets are blue. Omae wa mou shindeiru.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2013, 03:09:28 AM »

A lot of people will diss P1 because it doesn't have social links and doesn't hold your hand like P3 & 4 do.

I'd say the PSP version is at least worth trying to see if you like it as it really is an example of a game justifying its re-release.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: