Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2014, 09:28:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
318958 Posts in 13029 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Halloween
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Halloween  (Read 2704 times)
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2006, 01:31:21 PM »

I was wondering, how big is Halloween in your country and how are you celebrating it? I suppose it is not nearly as big in other countries as in the US. As for Germany, we have had merchandise, sweets and Halloween parties for quite some time now, but I never realized that a lot of kids were doing "trick or treat". Now today the door bell has wrung already 5-6 times and our sweets supply has dropped significantly. Personally I don't celebrate Halloween, but I don't care about others celebrating it. Today a protestant bishop complained that people were forgetting about tomorrow's Day of Reformation, because of Halloween.
Leo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2006, 03:24:01 PM »

It's huge in the U.S. Always has been. I grew out of it a long time ago, but having said that... if it were for the sake of entertaining my cousins, nephews, and nieces, then I would have no qualms with dressing up and such.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2006, 04:04:05 PM »

Big companies are trying to force Halloween upon us, but it isn't eactly working. Children already have Sint Maarten to go around the neighbourhood and collect sweets. There are some scary movies on Dutch television, but that's it.
D-Rider
Former God of RPGFan
Rainbow Club Member

Solitary One

ChlamydiaBlues
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2006, 06:59:22 PM »

Halloween is generally not as widely celebrated in my section of the U.S. anymore, due primarily to religion.  I'm not going to go into my usual Halloween tale involving old women handing out anti-Halloween tracts instead of candy because I'm a little pressed for time at the moment, but I will say that even in the past ten years, as I've gotten older, I've seen a general shift away from spookiness to something far more tame.  You'd even be hard pressed to find an authentic haunted house around here; all the "scary" haunted house-like events are put on by churches, depicting scenes from hell and preaching about what will happen to you when you die unsaved, etc.

I vaguely remember a time when Halloween was actually fun.  Not anymore.  I pity these kids I see today.

Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2006, 07:09:16 PM »

?! It's as big as Christmas here in Canada and always has been.  I've been handing out tons of candy here in N.B. for the last 2 or 3 hours.  I was walking home from work around 5:30 when a couple of kids chucked an egg at me...I kinda taunted them to do it though:)  They missed me, thank God.  There one guy down the road here who had the sickest costume i've seen in years.  Best. Demon. Ever.   I really should have taken a picture but I didn't have a camera.

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
Hidoshi
RPGFan's Open Source Field Agent

Built This House

clothothespinner@hotmail.com BrandingRune
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2006, 07:10:02 PM »

Halloween's become less and less open in recent years near me. I find a lot of parents far too cautious, to the point that now thirteen year olds are coming out with mommy and daddy. I mean fine, watch your kids and such, but don't you know your neighbours somewhat well enough that you don't have to hold their hand every step of the way? We live in the suburbs for crying out loud.

Anyhow... Yeah, still lots of decorations and halloweenish stuff, just less fun for the kids I think.
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2006, 07:14:09 PM »

I got some advertisement crap from a local Baptist Church, the one they hang on doorknobs. It was advertising some alternative event to Halloween, with a picture of a car trunk with a jack-o-lantern in it and a license plate reading 'Boo'. I'd like to shove a fist-sized wad of candy corn in their self-righteous mouths for this crap, since kids should just be allowed to have fun, but whatever. Crazy fundies just won't shut up I guess.

We'll be handing out candy, like normal. Hope there's a nice amount left for me to hog after it's all said and done, heh.
Lucca
AMG A GIRL

SUGAR PEAS!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2006, 09:12:11 PM »

Teaching on Halloween in America sucks grapes.

I mean, when you think about it it's understandable. Who wants to be in school LEARNING on Halloween?

But I made my kids learn today. Muah hahaha.

I'm not a total witch. They did get a Halloween cookie from me....after learning.

Mwah ha ha ha ha.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2006, 09:22:29 PM »

A lot of schools are banning Halloween for many reasons.  Many parents are suddenly hyper-religious and refuse to promote this satanic demonic holiday.  So no costumes, no candy.  The school I used to tutor at would have Halloween festivities (costume parade, candy, games) but many kids came from very religious families who wouldn't let the kids come to school on Halloween day.  

I loved Halloween because I got to play dress up and have some candy.  I also think there's a damper on Halloween in schools because of young girls wearing really risque, slutty costumes.  (although these days, it's not uncommon in some US high schools to see kids having sex in the stairwells.)  

And since there is paranoia about not knowing who will be opening the door when your kids ring the bell, trick-or-treating typically only happens from 3pm-5pm after school, and that's not much fun since many people aren't home from work yet, so kids these days aren't getting the kind of candy hauls we used to get when I trick-or-treated as a kid.  Most Halloween celebrations involve an organized party at a house with parental supervision.  My parents live in a very nice and very safe residential neighborhood that you would think would get a lot of trick-or-treaters, but they don't.  

For my class today, the professor had us all bring in candy and soda and have something of a Halloween party.  I brought home ridiculous amounts of peoples' leftover candy for my housemates.

My most memorable Halloween was back in 2003 when the YMCA I worked at put on an elaborate Haunted House for the neighboring towns.  I couldn't believe how incredible the Y looked that night.  Some rooms I couldn't even recognize... and I used to frequent those rooms a lot with my class.  I was a blob rattling cages and screeching like Dani Filth in the Frankenstein and Igor room... and when someone would say "hello person" I'd say "And I would have gotten away with it too if it weren't for you meddling kids!" and they'd all laugh.

I approve of this nonsense!
Shiguma
The Saviour of Esteria

LordShiguma
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 01:45:51 AM »

It's virtually non-existent here in Japan. :P

Jimmy

Wakens the Ferine Strain

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 02:20:26 AM »

Halloween is completely commercial in Utah. You'd think in this state of all states we wouldn't celebrate Halloween whatsoever, but it is a fairly big deal here. Though I do believe I heard recently they did away with Halloween celebrations at schools in my area. Many of the churches will organize trunk-or-treating in the church parking lot too because it's supposedly "safer," but they've been doing that ever since I can remember.

As for me: Halloween is my favorite holiday. Even when I was little and it was mainly about the candy, my friends and I also made sure we did plenty of mischief as well. Throwing rotten tomatoes at cars was our favorite thing to do. We'd often do our best to scare people too. One of my friends had a big St. Bernard we'd bring to my house that was a really nice dog and wouldn't go after anyone, but he'd definitely let them know if they stepped foot on the lawn :D

We were above smashing pumpkins in the street, and never stole candy from any smaller kids. I think the worst thing we ever did was egg a woman's house at two in the morning because she had given us toothbrushes. When we rode our bikes by the next morning to admire our work we found someone else had toilet-papered her house as well, so we weren't alone.

Now I celebrate as best as I can. I always carve pumpkins, and early in the night (about 5:00 to 7:30) I enjoy handing out candy to trick-or-treaters even though we don't get many anymore since my street only has one street light.

After that I used to dress up as the Headless Horseman, and a damn good one too. I'd wear my grandpa's big black rider's cloak (which completely covered everything but my feet) up over my head and a dark mask so no one could see my eyes looking out of the crevice between the top two buttons. Then I'd ride out under my street's single street light and just sit there. If I saw any kids coming I would ride back down the lane along the side of my house and spy on them from behind our shed. When they came about twenty-feet from our driveway I would run my horse up there  and scare the shit out of them. There have been a couple times I felt bad about it though because a kid would drop their candy bag and run for it. The first time that happened I just left it there thinking he'd come back for it, but the next morning it was still lying on the side of the street. Another time a kid tripped over his own feet and went down and his friends just ditched him. That time I actually stopped, took off my mask and cloak, helped him back up and sent him on his way though.

Last year there were no trick-or-treaters that late, so I rode up to the subdivision north of my house and just walked my horse around up there. Scared a few kids just doing that and then some woman told me she'd call the cops on me if I didn't get out of there, so I rode down to the creek about a mile away that has a paved recreation walkway near it surrounded by trees. It also has some very orange street lights, so I just hung out under those until about midnight and then went home.

Today, I unfortunately had to work. I hadn't thought of scheduling it off until it was too late to do so. The other problem is neither I, my dad, or my grandpa own a horse this year, so no headless horseman even if I had been home.

Happy Halloween everyone!
Professor Gast

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 06:01:43 AM »

Quote from: "Shiguma"
It's virtually non-existent here in Japan. :P

Indeed. I guess there is one comparatively big (for Japanese standards of course) Halloween parade in Kawasaki every year. Apart from that it is mostly about selling sweets. Behind Christmas and and Valentine's Day, Halloween apparently has become the third biggest business period throughout the year for the Japanese sweets industry.
CastNuri
AMG A GIRL

There are no coincidences.

CastNuri
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006, 11:33:38 AM »

Halloween? What's that?  

;-)

"It is a silly game where nobody wins. " ~ Thomas Fuller ~

http://castnuri.tumblr.com
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2006, 01:03:41 PM »

My mum told me about 'Allerzielen' today, a religious custom that has almost been forgotten in Holland. Supposedly it's a mix of christianity and pagan beliefs and one of the origins of Halloween. Allerzielen is the evening after Allerheiligen, so it's tomorrow. People would visit the graveyard and pray for save passage of souls of loved ones. They would also bake special cookies (which are actually pretty yummy, I tried them) called 'zielenkoekjes' (soulcookies). The point of these cookies? The more you eat, the more souls are saved. I think that's pretty awesome, why do people forget things like this?

Eating cookies to save souls > Halloween :P
Degolas

sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk sickforbrains200@yahoo.co.uk
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2006, 03:09:34 PM »

Halloween gets increasingly low key here every year it seems. Shops still sell costumes and novelty food etc, and a few kids still trick or treat, but there's increasing backlash against it due to the hooliganism that worsens every year. Chavs see it as an excuse for vandalism, and for some, a good way to barge into someone's house.

It's become more for people my age now, as an excuse to dress up like a twat and get drunk :P

I had a stupid dream
that I could change things.

Check out my YouTube videos!: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Degolas
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: