Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 11:52:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327853 Posts in 13421 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  The favorite Disney TV cartoons thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: The favorite Disney TV cartoons thread  (Read 2825 times)
Esper_Crusader

I love you, Dr. Zaius

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 11:37:25 PM »

Well, I should have explained that Gargoyles was the last one I cared about as I was getting older and was in Highschool. Also beast wars was on my radar but I hated Reboot with a passion. I still get flack for that:/

Currently playing: .

-----------------------------------
"If I can't smoke and swear, I'm F**ked." ~ Ricky
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2013, 01:53:44 AM »

Gravity Falls
Never seen it but the first few minutes of that makes me want to.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2013, 04:45:20 PM »

Grim- I think we ALL had that "weeaboo/wapanese" phase of "everything Japanese is superior/ I wish I was Japanese" and all that nonsense.  I'm glad I grew out of that nonsense. 

I am almost thirty years old and just growing out of that phase... or at least I am entertaining the idea of growing out of that phase as a result of playing kingdom hearts...

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2013, 05:19:46 PM »

Grim- I think we ALL had that "weeaboo/wapanese" phase of "everything Japanese is superior/ I wish I was Japanese" and all that nonsense.  I'm glad I grew out of that nonsense. 

I am almost thirty years old and just growing out of that phase... or at least I am entertaining the idea of growing out of that phase as a result of playing kingdom hearts...

Kingdom Hearts is sort of a bad example because it's a 100% ham and cheese sandwich (ham = people's hair and clothing; cheese = dialogue) even if you're like 200% into anime.

It's kind of strange to me to complete dismiss one genre if "both CAN (and not objectively "will") offer something good".

I like some anime, hate a lot of the rest.
I like Disney, hate some of the lot.
I love RPGs, but hot hell GTAV is good.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2013, 05:22:34 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2013, 06:50:25 PM »

Well I just decided to check out Walt Disney's classic cartoon "The adventures of Mr. Toad and Ichabod Crane" because it came highly suggested to me.

The verdict?... Freakin' terrible man!! When the exception of the mildly entertaining "manic-ness" of Mr. Toad I found the hour and 8 minutes of viewing an utter bore.

Just wanted to post this in case anyone stumbled across it in the future and was hoping for some vintage headless horseman animation (as I was hoping...) because this will surely not meet your expectations. The headless horseman segment accounts for about 5 minutes of the total film.

Now if your into the whole "lets sing and frolic in a looney tunes type of way" sort of stuff then by all means check this out.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2013, 08:13:43 PM »

I liked Recess till recently when I found out the woman who voice Spinelli was a regular on Californication who waxes buttholes and was doing coke and screwing the guy who sang 'Jesse's Girl' (Rick Springfield?).

While it has it's share of awful tropes and whatnot, I'd say that in terms of animated TV series, Japanese content is superior. Mostly because there's more stuff than just "Saturday morning cartoon". I mean, can you imagine the likes of Death Note or Aoi Bungaku made in US? Hell, even TMNT, while pretty solid, has so much potential wasted because it has to sell it to the kiddies.

I think animation is just viewed down upon for some reason.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2013, 09:46:12 PM »

I liked Recess till recently when I found out the woman who voice Spinelli was a regular on Californication who waxes buttholes and was doing coke and screwing the guy who sang 'Jesse's Girl' (Rick Springfield?).

While it has it's share of awful tropes and whatnot, I'd say that in terms of animated TV series, Japanese content is superior. Mostly because there's more stuff than just "Saturday morning cartoon". I mean, can you imagine the likes of Death Note or Aoi Bungaku made in US? Hell, even TMNT, while pretty solid, has so much potential wasted because it has to sell it to the kiddies.

The problem is more along the lines of A) most of the animation and cartoons seen here have had some element drawn from Japan (like Transformers, Thundercats, Avatar: the Last Airbender, etc.), B) because even shows made for US audiences have had their animation work outsourced to Korea or China, and C) the few shows that remain are garbage like Brickleberry, Drawn Together, or anything made by Adult Swim (well, some of the early stuff wasn't too bad). It's pretty lamentable, but South Park is pretty much the best US made animated show on air right now.

That and the fact that the niche is already pretty thoroughly filled by Japan at this point. If you want to watch shows like Death Note and Aoi Bungaku, then just watch Death Note or Aoi Bungaku (or don't because they're both pretty mediocre).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2013, 09:51:50 PM »

And the thing with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is that the original Eastman and Laird comics are pretty dark.  That first live-action TMNT movie was kinda murky and felt gritty like the comics and not "bright" like the cartoons.  

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2013, 01:25:17 PM »

If you want to watch shows like Death Note and Aoi Bungaku, then just watch Death Note or Aoi Bungaku (or don't because they're both pretty mediocre).

Troll?
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2013, 02:48:29 PM »

If you want to watch shows like Death Note and Aoi Bungaku, then just watch Death Note or Aoi Bungaku (or don't because they're both pretty mediocre).

Troll?

I don't remember much about the latter series but the only thing DN really had going for it was Light Yagami's over the top "Just as planned" antics (the 'power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely' message might have been better if Kira Yagami didn't go off the deep end almost immediately after getting his hands on his Death Note, or wasn't a borderline sociopath before that). Once L went down, Kira pretty much lost his incentive for his better shenanigans and the show just kinda petered out.

Also, Castlevania Judgment ruined any sort of appreciation I might have held for the character designer.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2013, 02:51:53 PM »

Troll?

I don't remember much about the latter series but the only thing DN really had going for it was Light Yagami's over the top "Just as planned" antics (the 'power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely' message might have been better if Kira Yagami didn't go off the deep end almost immediately after getting his hands on his Death Note, or wasn't a borderline sociopath before that). Once L went down, Kira pretty much lost his incentive for his better shenanigans and the show just kinda petered out.

Also, Castlevania Judgment ruined any sort of appreciation I might have held for the character designer.

100% Aeo's post.
Some of the Castle designs were butchered by an otherwise great artist.  They kinda lacked that je ne said qoui that the original artist drew naturally.

And yeah, I liked Death Note till it became that insane psychological game of chess -- they were always trying to stay 100 steps ahead of another, freaking out more and more...and yeah, I tuned out.  I loved the start, but the end game indeed seems to "petered out".  It got too "neurotic" for my tastes -- but I definitely feel there aren't many anime like it or like it right now
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 02:58:58 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: