Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2014, 02:43:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319718 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Anime, TV, and Movies
| | |-+  Halloweeny Stuff
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Halloweeny Stuff  (Read 1272 times)
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »

I really like to keep my media thematically appropriate to games I play and seasons and whatnot... That being said, with the fall upon us, does anyone have any spooky/halloween esque suggestions or favorites? Anything is fair game (anime, movies, cartoons, specials et cetera....)

In terms anime, I have already seen all of the following so I would to hear about some others...
-Hellsing
-Rosario Vampire..... errr something to that effect
-Shiki
-Ghost Hunt
-Blue Exorcist
-Ghost Hound
-Occult Academy
-Another
-Hellgirl
-Soul Eater
-Phantom: Requiem of the Phantom (didn't finish, considering trying to give a re-watch)
-High School of the Dead (also didn't finish and considering giving another go)

As for movies I suppose any good horror flick qualifies. I'd LOVE to hear your folks favorite horror flicks!! Tis my favorite genre next to 80's retro-fantasy! My picks include (but are not limited to) the following.

-The Exorcist
-Nightmare on Elm Street (everything up to the new nightmare)
-Quarantine
-Almost any film based on a Steven King novel including the "made for TV varieites" (I actually adored steven weber in the remake of "The Shining")
-Fright Night

And last but not least TV/Cartoons.... In truth I'm too unfamiliar with this category to contribute so I will hold my tongue. As such though, I am really into hearing about what you guys like. I will however admit to having a strong appreciation for all the old looney toons halloween episodes.

So that does it. Let those cooky and creepy suggestions fly folks!

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 07:44:08 PM »

I give all the minds behind The Nightmare Before Christmas a GIANT thumbs up for creating a great film that can earn TV royalties during two major times of the year (Halloween & XMas).

I'm not really into horror movies besides a good "once around", so I can't really judge there.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 07:52:58 PM »

inb4, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2013, 08:31:25 PM »

inb4, It's the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Oh the nostalgia!

I don't really celebrate Halloween anymore, but you're really tempting me to try some weird/semi-scary anime a try this October.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:03:46 AM »

Trick 'r Treat is an obvious (and wonderful pick).

And I know it aint a horror film THAT LIST NEEDS SOME HOCUS POCUS

« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:07:19 AM by (Tunnels) » Logged
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 02:07:43 AM »

You really should give Higurashi a try, if you're okay with mindfucks.

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 06:24:22 AM »

If you don't mind subtitles, you should watch the Spanish horror REC.

I also love other Spanish movies such as The Orphanage and Pan's Labyrinth.

Not a horror but The Road is probably the most terrifying movie I watched. For very different reasons to horror movies though.

natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:40:36 AM »

The original Amityville Horror is one of my favorite scary movies. It would seem a lot of people don't like it, but I think it's pretty good.
I also recommend The Woman In Black (yes, the movie with Daniel Radcliffe). It does a great job of creeping you out and putting you on edge, and it does so throughout the whole film. Something a lot of modern horror flicks fail to do... It's definitely one to watch in the dark.

This time of year, I always watch The Simpsons Halloween specials in order. Well, up until season 11 or 12... However many I own.
Klyde Chroma
Novice Bulimic in training.

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 07:43:35 PM »

I can't believe I forgot to put that on the list... I did watch the first season and absolutely loved it! I want to check out the second and third (i think there is 3) but haven't got around to it. I really like dubs.... turned off when I can only view something subbed, strange as that may be.

If you don't mind subtitles, you should watch the Spanish horror REC.

I also love other Spanish movies such as The Orphanage and Pan's Labyrinth.

Not a horror but The Road is probably the most terrifying movie I watched. For very different reasons to horror movies though.
I loved Rec and Pan's Labyrinth. The Orphanage was by no means bad, but not nearly as memorable.

Totally unfamiliar with "The Road". I'll check it out post halloween.

The original Amityville Horror is one of my favorite scary movies. It would seem a lot of people don't like it, but I think it's pretty good.
I also recommend The Woman In Black (yes, the movie with Daniel Radcliffe). It does a great job of creeping you out and putting you on edge, and it does so throughout the whole film. Something a lot of modern horror flicks fail to do... It's definitely one to watch in the dark.

This time of year, I always watch The Simpsons Halloween specials in order. Well, up until season 11 or 12... However many I own.
I really liked Amityville as well as Amytyville 2. Been a long time though. Can't say my recollection is too clear. They may demand a re-watch.

You think I could enjoy the simpsons halloween specials if I never saw the simpsons? I know I know... I live under a rock... In truth, I just have managed to avoid a great deal of western-crafted media for a long time. Playing the Kingdom Hearts HD remake is actually the first time I've bore witness to any of the disney universe at all.-LoL

this signature is Blace's fault...
Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 09:50:18 AM »

I can't believe I forgot to put that on the list... I did watch the first season and absolutely loved it! I want to check out the second and third (i think there is 3) but haven't got around to it. I really like dubs.... turned off when I can only view something subbed, strange as that may be.

Your mileage may vary, but I hated the second season of that show.
Vague season 1 spoilers:
Code:
What attracted me about the show in the first place was the use of non-chronological and mutually contradicting narrative archs. I especially liked how the final arc of season 1 played up and against the kind of theories that the viewer might attempt to create to make sense of it all.
By contrast the second season attempts to patch it all together in a semi-coherent fashion, and I found the end result dull and dumb. Whether you enjoy it may depend a lot on to what extent you felt satisfied with the first seasons more ambiguous and open-ended nature. If you are not craving answers, then I would advice you to avoid the second season.

Not necessarily halloween-y per se, but some underrated horror-y movies I enjoyed:
-The Signal and Severance both combine black humor with horror in a great way
-Recycle and Kairo are both more surreal than scary, but I enjoyed how different they felt from most horror.
-Next door is an interesting scandinavian "erotic" thriller that is pretty disturbing. It has some strange sexual content, though.
kkhohoho

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 01:16:25 PM »

Not really a horror movie, or even that scary, but; Young Frankenstein. One of the best ways to actually get some laughs round Halloween while still keeping in the spirit. ;)

Nightmare Christmas is good too, but not really all that scary either. (Do you see a trend here? Honestly, the only horror movie I really remember watching is The Shining, which somehow still didn't really scare me that much, despite it supposedly being a horror movie. Which it was. I wasn't scared per say, but I was still kept on the edge of my seat. ;) )
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2013, 02:45:01 PM »

Not Halloween, and not *actually* scary.

But I have to give a tip-of-the-hat to the morbid passion felt, surprisingly and beautifully, between Morticia and Gomez Addams.  Seriously, people would be lucky to be that in love.  There was one scene in a courtroom where they're full-out making on each other where she's basically moaning out loud.

Comical, romantic, perfect for Halloween?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2013, 04:47:13 PM »

turned off when I can only view something subbed, strange as that may be.

Not strange. Some people just aren't into reading shit while they are trying to watch something. Myself included, obviously.

You think I could enjoy the simpsons halloween specials if I never saw the simpsons? I know I know... I live under a rock... In truth, I just have managed to avoid a great deal of western-crafted media for a long time. Playing the Kingdom Hearts HD remake is actually the first time I've bore witness to any of the disney universe at all.-LoL

I can see how suddenly being exposed to Disney in adulthood would be a bit jarring (lol).
You'd have to see some Simpsons episodes for yourself. Find out if it's your taste or not. Obviously, it's a bunch of goofy humor and scary movie/story references/parodies. The earlier ones are the best, of course. Not easy to find streaming episodes online, though...
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2013, 06:32:34 PM »

I can see how suddenly being exposed to Disney in adulthood would be a bit jarring (lol).
You'd have to see some Simpsons episodes for yourself. Find out if it's your taste or not. Obviously, it's a bunch of goofy humor and scary movie/story references/parodies. The earlier ones are the best, of course. Not easy to find streaming episodes online, though...

Top 11 episodes from Nostalgia Critic

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2013, 11:38:14 PM »

From what I can tell of the box-art The Future Diary anime (apparently aka, Mirai Nikki) might fit onto that list as well. But it looks to be interesting enough that I've looked up literally zero spoilers regarding it. I have that, Another, and Shiki as the Halloween shows of choice this year (the last two I see you already added).

If you want something Halloween-y that'll make you laugh your head off I'd go for the ADV dub of Ghost Stories. You can find that tucked away on the net easily enough since it's never really been re-distributed.

As for the actual seasonal 'movie' of choice I probably have to default more to the Saw series. But personally those are more Psychological Thriller than Horror IMO. :-\ So not sure they really count outside of general audience labeling.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:41:20 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: