Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 30, 2014, 05:29:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327820 Posts in 13420 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Sega buying Atlus
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print
Author Topic: Sega buying Atlus  (Read 3271 times)
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2013, 02:20:09 AM »

Persona is the one series that's popular enough overseas that it won't be touched.  I don't know why people are worried about that.  It's everything else Atlus makes I would worry about?

It's not just series, it's new stuff I'm worried about. Future Catherines and whatever glorious weird stuff they might come up with.

Anyway, there are three basic outcomes, right?
1. Nothing changes. Sega lets Atlus be Atlus and everything is fine in videogameland. (Which would make sense, because its Sega Sammy Holdings that purchased Index, right? Not Sega that bought Atlus?)

2. Sega uses the publisher side of Atlus for the better, allowing more of their own games to be published outside of Japan. Fans rejoice.

3. Sega gets money hungry, guts the company of talent and puts the leftovers to work on sure-sells and mobile games. The last Persona game you'll see is Persona Pachinko, which you won't actually get to see because it will be in Japan and you won't. Please reload your save, re-roll that d20 and hope for a better future.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 02:34:42 AM by Tomara » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2013, 05:23:35 AM »

The deets.

Sega Sammy is establishing a new subsidiary of Sega Corporation (which is itself a subsidiary of Sega Sammy, got that?) called Sega Dream Holdings which will handle all Index stuff.  The transfer takes place November 1.

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2013, 10:32:50 AM »

Atlus promises continuity and looks forward to new challenges under New Sega ownership -- Source: DualShockers

I don't know about this...
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2013, 10:40:29 AM »

Okay, now that it's not O'dark-thirty in the morning, I can elaborate on what I'm worried about.

Frankly, I don't see anything bad happening with Atlus of Japan, hell they might use some of the talent to make like a Growlanser/Shining Force hybrid or something, which is all very well and good. No, my problem is in regards to Atlus USA's fate since Sega's been like, really really bad about bothering to localize any of their RPGs as of late (they'll no doubt continue distributing Sonic and stuffs like Vitrua Fighter, provided they still do that). Anyways, since the majority of Atlus' output is RPG based, I suspect one of two things happen A) Sega gets smart for once and actually have Atlus USA localize some of their RPG titles that have otherwise been stranded in Japan as well as letting them continue work on their own stuffs unabated, or B) Sega does the usual and continue to not bother letting any of their RPG content see the light of day outside of Japan despite whatever interests or infrastructure might exist and forces Atlus to shut their USA branch down as a cost saving measure (since without the RPGs what do they localize?).

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2013, 11:03:10 AM »

I'm more worried about Sega's recent decision to focus on PC games. I don't want the next SMT game to be PC-only. :/

EDIT: Heh, guess I spoke too soon. Hopefully this really does mean business as usual.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:08:39 AM by Mickeymac92 » Logged

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

Sega's focusing on PC games?  Since when?

The only recent PC game from Sega I can even name is PSO2, but that's a MMORPG and those are always kind of PC-centric.

unsmashable_pumpkin

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2013, 02:50:46 PM »

The only recent PC game from Sega I can even name is PSO2, but that's a MMORPG and those are always kind of PC-centric.

I don't know when they said something like that, but if they decided to focus on pc, couldn't that possibly a good thing?
A lot of people are worried about localization possibilities, but if they are targeting pc as a platform, a western steam release sounds like something we would have a greater chance of getting, than a localized vita game. Unless pc is code for browser-based social-bullshit.

Change can always be scary, but Sega picking up atlus is still at least better than noone picking up atlus, so I'm going to hold off on the doom and gloom for now. Perhaps this will be a hange for the better?
Draak

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2013, 03:15:19 PM »

Well, according to the press release:

"... The Company believes that transfer of Index’s operations to SEGA will create synergies, on the
grounds that the deal will enable the Company to (1) gain access to prominent IPs in the home video
game software
, through which the Company can expect to achieve steady flows of revenue..."

Steady flows of revenue = why mess with something that's making money? If I'm not mistaken, Atlus (including the USA branch) was the only profitable Index property.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »

I think that was only with the Company of Heroes, Total War, and Football Manager series which Sega now owns.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2013, 06:52:29 PM »

Yggs right, I misread a report (though the title didn't help) basically saying Sega's "putting a greater focus on PC gaming" which for some reason I assumed meant that Sega was turning PC only...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 18, 2013, 07:42:57 PM »

If Nintendo or Sony had bought them, people would be complaining that they had to buy a specific console to play Persona 5.

If Sony bought it, it would've been fine.

If Nintendo bought it, my only real concern would be like, Nintendo remotely deleting my demons or something.

Also realistically the worst possible scenario would've been Capcom buying them. And that didn't happen.

Sega has done nothing but piss its fanbase off for the last 5 years unless you live in japan.

Last FIVE years?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2013, 08:40:54 PM »

Also realistically the worst possible scenario would've been Capcom buying them. And that didn't happen.

Well that didn't happen because they don't have that much money right now. And personally, I doubt they would be interested in Atlus even if they had the money.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 18, 2013, 08:48:12 PM »

Accurate depiction of my response to this news:

I don't think Capcom is interested in much of anything, lately.

Besides crushing dreams I guess.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 10:57:17 PM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2013, 09:41:10 PM »

I don't think Capcom is interested in much of anything, lately.

Besides crushing dreams I guess.

Eh. At least they can still make decent games despite all the bad decisions they take can as a company.

Besides with a bunch of their older talent still active doing their own thing at PlatinumGames, Tango Gameworks and Comcept there's really not much reason to get mad. Other than being annoyed to pay for DLC I guess.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 09:48:22 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 19, 2013, 04:42:22 AM »

Maybe we'll get Yakuza 5 now!

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: