Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 04:54:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327632 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Guided Fate Paradox... Give me a chance to play D2 please...
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Guided Fate Paradox... Give me a chance to play D2 please...  (Read 1802 times)
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »

Just read the review on RPGFan.  I saw some complaints about the voice acting and I'd recommend playing this one in japanese.  I decided to change it pretty fast. 

Also Zeron how could you hate on the main character he's awesome. 

now on chapter 10
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2013, 02:00:05 PM »

I read the review, too. I was on the fence, but now I'm pretty sure I won't get it. It sounds like it suffers from a lot of what I disliked in Legasista - too many tutorials, yet too complex to skip them; cringe worthy dialogue, and well, just being a rogue-like minus the immediacy that makes Rogue-likes so appealing to me.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2013, 05:59:25 PM »

Also Zeron how could you hate on the main character he's awesome. 

Early on? Quite easily, as I hold the same opinion as the review on that front regarding the first two chapters. Poorly written to the point of making you dislike most of the cast just because the set-ups and dialog are atrocious.

Admittedly Renya grew on me around...chapter 3-4ish. Even Cheriel has started to become 'okay' around the 5+ marker. Kuroiel and Neliel are still the best characters though.

I think the complaints I've seen about the Voice Acting in GHP are really, really exaggerated. The voices are just fine and suit the character's personalities. The only really bad one is
Code:
Weakling Zombie
Just play it in English and enjoy. Anyone who wants to claim the VA work is awful I have a little title called Chaos Wars to direct you to.

Go listen to that in English.

Get back to me and see if GHP looks so bad now.

_____

Honestly not sure what the review is smoking though when they refer to the game systems as 'complex'. :-\ They're really quite cut and dry.

1. Levels in a dungeon carry over to a Total Level value. This determines your base stats each time you start over.
2. Pick up equipment as you go, trade it out when it breaks. Don't worry about using the blacksmith unless you want nice end-game stuff.
3. Eat Apples when your energy runs low. Press X+O when your health runs low. Ignore the rest of the healing items because they blow chunks. (Sans the stuff you can get in the martial dungeons but we're keeping it simple here.)
4. Unlock tiles on the Divinigram then fill them in with Stat Tiles. Replace low numbers with high numbers if you get any.
5. Ignore skills unless they have a Cross shaped or 6-square marker. Use those to AoE clear things.
6. Press God Mode during boss fights, win instantly.

Boom. Six simple steps to play and probably beat the game. Not that complicated.

Yes there's a bit I glossed over but really GHP is so silly-easy that you don't 'need' them to play (I've only 'died' about 3 times at Chapter 6; compared to ZHP's numerous deaths); hence any 'complexity' takes a nose dive. (Even then the entirety of GHP's systems is pretty much as complex as grade school math when compared to your average tabletop RPG, which is like pre-algebra by comparison.)

If anything the big negative from GHP should be it's poorly designed mid-game boss fights that require zero skill and all RNG luck.

Code:
-The boss fight against the general's wave spam is an instant loss if you ran into a "MINION SWARM!" room around floors 7-9 and
had to burn a God Mode to live. (Even with perfect RNG the minion waves will stack faster than you can cannon-AoE them; and they spawn
quickly enough that there's really no chance to do anything on the second floor outside the first few rounds of the fight. So you're
pretty much sequestered to sitting up top, kicking ladders until you get flanked, then spamming AoE until you get a break. Which enemies
come up the ladder first too will be a big RNG hosing factor too.)

-The librarian fight is literally impossible unless you're packing a wand type item as the late fight books detonate in only two turns.
Giving you one to position and one to AoE nuke unless it spawns right next to you. Which is about a 33% chance if you have my luck.
(Somehow beat this boss on the first try. You should've seen the end game conga line.)
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:16:23 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2013, 11:57:10 PM »

why are you saying GHP?  what is the H?  Are you mixing up GFP and ZHP?

for the voice acting I'm not claiming that the english voices are terrible or anything, just me personally I don't like them and would recommend japanese for this game.  

I read the review, too. I was on the fence, but now I'm pretty sure I won't get it. It sounds like it suffers from a lot of what I disliked in Legasista - too many tutorials, yet too complex to skip them; cringe worthy dialogue, and well, just being a rogue-like minus the immediacy that makes Rogue-likes so appealing to me.

I haven't played Legasista (never even heard of it before) but the tutorials are pretty short and understandable.  Maybe it's cause I played ZHP but the game really doesn't seem hard to get into to me.  The only "complicated" thing is the divinigram but that's also one of the coolest things about the game.  It's the good kind of complicated.  It has clear benefits and isn't just there as a stupid gimmick.  I also don't find the dialogue cringe worthy.  It's certainly not as "cringeworthy" as hyperdimension neptunia or something.  It does have some flat humor (all Lanael's second name gags fell totally flat with me) but there is other stuff that I do think is funny.  Renya is pretty funny despite looking like a boring generic male highschooler protag.  Based on appearances I was expecting Renya to be the "straight man" and Lilliel to be the idiot but thankfully I was surprised and they didn't go with the normal anime stereotype. 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:01:34 AM by TiamatNM » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 12:19:50 AM »

Guided Hate Paradox.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 12:28:00 AM »

why are you saying GHP?  what is the H?  Are you mixing up GFP and ZHP?

Guided Hate Paradox.

I watched that review and yeah, the game definitely doesn't seem to be my type.

I'm actually not keen on a lot of what NISA puts out these days; but I want them around and strong for that one title I know will come out and I'll want more than the next 3 games I want combined.

« Last Edit: November 12, 2013, 12:59:18 AM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2013, 05:54:30 AM »

Guided Hate Paradox.

Lawl. XD

I have no idea why I keep slipping with the GFP vs GHP. Been doing that since pre-release unless I actively stop to think about it. XP
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: