Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 26, 2014, 10:09:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338429 Posts in 13854 Topics by 2215 Members
Latest Member: RPGtourguide
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  FFIV The After Years gets a 3D iOS remake!?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: FFIV The After Years gets a 3D iOS remake!?  (Read 3204 times)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »

Just to be clear, my comment was more related to what kkhohoho said of the (hypothetical) remake of FFVI by SQEX being bad and all that. Not The After Years remake for iOS.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2013, 03:47:31 PM »

Just to be clear, my comment was more related to what kkhohoho said of the (hypothetical) remake of FFVI by SQEX being bad and all that. Not The After Years remake for iOS.

To be fair though, Squeenix's track record with these things haven't been the best, given FFIIIDS's job system being rebalanced in a half assed way and IV's Knacks needing a guide to navigate and limited NG+es just to rub it in.

And FFVI is definitely a game that needs rebalancing like woah.

Still though, this is all a moot point since The After Years can only really go up from here. Doesn't justify them passing over V for it though, I mean, who the hell wanted The Blunder Years getting a DS styled remake?

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2013, 04:14:05 PM »

V is in desperate need of rebalancing, too. Then again, abusing the job system there is part of what makes the game appealing.

Honestly, I'd be okay with V or VI.  Just stop with the IV, Jesus Christ.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2013, 04:52:33 PM »

V is in desperate need of rebalancing, too. Then again, abusing the job system there is part of what makes the game appealing.

Honestly, I'd be okay with V or VI.  Just stop with the IV, Jesus Christ.

True, some of the classes really needed revisiting (at least make Berserkers not completely worthless). But still, FFVI will bend over backwards for anybody not completely new to the genre.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2013, 05:00:58 PM »

Hey, abusing the heck out of the broken systems in VI is part of the fun! ;)

GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2013, 06:57:23 PM »

I'm just starting to lose ALL faith this Squeenix. ....maybe they're afraid to touch FF6. I was thinking about this earlier. To me, that's the game to end all games. Wonderful characters, excellent story, memorable villian. To remake that...and remake it terribly, would be a cardinal sin. But I don't know. I feel like anything they do to that game would be a step forward. I'll even handle just an update in sprites like they did with FF5 on the iOS.

But instead, we get a 3D The After Years in the style of the last 3D FF4. Which I was never terribly fond of. I loved the fact that it was one of favorite games in 3D, but that style was hard for me to get into. I grew up on the sprites. I feel like they had so much character and personality. So to use the artwork instead of the sprites in making it 3D kind of made me sad. Haha.

pigTails of...
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2013, 09:28:44 PM »

I grew up on the sprites. I feel like they had so much character and personality.

"This is Celes."

"This is Celes feeling heartsick and melancholy."

"This is Celes contemplating suicide."

"This is Celes noticing a nickel on the ground."

"This is Celes expressing relief upon finding Sabin alive."

"This is Terra mourning General Leo's death."

"This is Terra making sure her shoes are tied."

(*)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2013, 12:18:45 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2013, 12:23:37 AM »

I actually liked IV on the DS; it took a few more initiatives to change the gameplay than did the "HD 2D" version on the Wii/PSP.  This is still overkill with the series, but just thought I'd pop in and say that.

But despite that, I'd still love to see "HD" versions (in whatever way) of the other FF's (V-IX).

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2013, 12:52:01 AM »

Final Fantasy Origins (I & II), but in the art style of Theatrhythm. That is all.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2013, 12:37:21 PM »

Famitsu interview with Takashi Tokita regarding FF IV The After Years for smartphones -- NeoGAF

Square Enix: FF3, FF4, and FF5 have been very successful worldwide on iOS -- NeoGAF

"TAY is being made for smartphones because last year's FFIV iOS version did so well worldwide they decided to give the sequel the same treatment."

"As closing comments, Tokita comments how FFIII, FFIV and FFV's smartphone ports have had worldwide success and he hopes people who haven't played those titles along with TAY, specially the ones overseas, give the titles a chance in these new releases."

"Along with TAY's smartphone version, Tokita is working on two other titles. One is all new and should be announced early next year, while the other should be announced at next year's TGS."
Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2013, 11:18:47 PM »

I'll happily take the flack for this...

I thought The After Years, as a "canon fanfic" of sorts, was *really* good. I have virtually no complaints.

"Interlude" was a waste of time.

But TAY was fun and fresh and I like short chapter-y stuff with big endings (see: Live A Live).

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

WOLOLO

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2013, 01:22:33 AM »

This 'rebalance-at-all-costs' mentality is why so many modern games are losing some of the charm of older games. I welcome a little chaos.

I LIKED breaking most of these games. It was fun :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 01:27:00 AM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Chronix112
Yasunori Mitsuda / Genso Suikoden fanboi

The Pessimistic One

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2013, 05:13:59 PM »

I LIKED breaking most of these games. It was fun :)
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2013, 05:47:51 PM »

As someone who has been breaking FFV for years, and I find it to be one of the best parts. . .

I want it rebalanced because certain classes are clearly superior to others.  I know what's best to use in every situation because it's my favorite FF and I've replayed it a ton.  If they rebalanced it, the line wouldn't be so clear and I would be back to exploring and re-learning the system all over again.  To me, that's what is most appealing.

As for FFVI, well,  I'm not really sure how they could even make that hard beyond doing something ridiculous like doubling boss damage.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »

They could start by nerfing Edgar's super broken tools.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: