Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 15, 2014, 12:11:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331278 Posts in 13564 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Valve announces SteamOS
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Valve announces SteamOS  (Read 1150 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 23, 2013, 01:59:49 PM »

Linux-based and intended for living-room PCs.

Gee, I wonder what this is leading up to.

The streaming feature sounds kind of neat.  So for games that don't have Linux support you can still stream them from a Windows PC.  Though in the future I hope this means a lot more Linux versions of major titles.

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 04:17:32 PM »

Surprised nobody is talking about this.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 04:19:10 PM »

I don't know what it is.  Is it like a Steam version of Netflix?

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 04:32:01 PM »

It's the much-rumored Steambox, finally officially confirmed.  The OS from my first post is just half of the equation.  It's what the Steambox is going to run, but you can also install it on any PC.  Being Linux-based there are obviously going to be problems running games that only have Windows versions so the streaming thing is something of stopgap measure, but it's not really the point.  If this catches on then that means Linux versions (well, SteamOS versions but it's basically just Linux) of games will become standard.

Valve released Steam for Linux a while back and there are some titles already compatible (mostly indie stuff, honestly...it's the big publishers who are reluctant to get on board).  That was the first step.  Then they release their own customized Linux distro (SteamOS) to the public that's optimized for gaming and finally hardware that runs it and is made to go in your living room (Steambox).

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 07:35:30 PM »

It's the much-rumored Steambox, finally officially confirmed.  The OS from my first post is just half of the equation.  It's what the Steambox is going to run, but you can also install it on any PC.  Being Linux-based there are obviously going to be problems running games that only have Windows versions so the streaming thing is something of stopgap measure, but it's not really the point.  If this catches on then that means Linux versions (well, SteamOS versions but it's basically just Linux) of games will become standard.

Valve released Steam for Linux a while back and there are some titles already compatible (mostly indie stuff, honestly...it's the big publishers who are reluctant to get on board).  That was the first step.  Then they release their own customized Linux distro (SteamOS) to the public that's optimized for gaming and finally hardware that runs it and is made to go in your living room (Steambox).

Is Valve going to be able to get the Linux community to go for closed-source, commercial products, though?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 10:28:28 PM »

Is Valve going to be able to get the Linux community to go for closed-source, commercial products, though?

Valve isn't targeting "the Linux community".  They're targeting gamers.

Most people don't really care what's under the hood.

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 11:17:16 PM »

I was told this was just a beta for the SteamOS. That guy was a damn liar. This is interesting news after all.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 12:23:37 AM »

Hooray. I can finally play Ys Origins on a real console now.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 10:24:30 AM »

Hooray. I can finally play Ys Origins on a real console now.

"Ys Origin. Only on GabeCube."
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 07:18:09 PM »

I don't think Valve's going after console users with this.

I think they're going after Windows users.

The major selling point for Windows, for a lot of people, is gaming. Given how gamers aren't flocking to Windows 8, and how Microsoft looks like it's backing away from gaming in general -- no matter how much of it they tried to change, the XBone press conference did its damage -- the space is open for Valve to really dive in and start doing some damage.

Sort of hope this revitalizes the PC market.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2013, 01:31:38 PM »

controller haps

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/09/27/valve-announces-steam-controller?utm_campaign=fbposts&utm_source=facebook

interesting stuff
Arklight

Know the meaning of Odio.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2013, 01:51:33 PM »

That...looks pretty darn nifty honestly. The fact that it's supposedly "designed from the ground up to be hackable" interests me quite a bit.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2013, 03:48:26 PM »

I've seen mostly very negative reactions to this controller on the internet.  I guess I should have expected as much, as gamers tend to hate on anything different (at least until they try it).  I do kind of wish they would actually read the announcement before bashing it, though.  People are claiming the trackpads won't offer any feedback while ignoring the heavy emphasis Valve is putting on the haptic technology in them...for giving feedback.  Then there are people bitching about the button placement, claiming that they would have to take your thumb off the left trackpad to reach two of them.  What they're ignoring is the fact that Valve also put a lot of buttons on the back of the controller.  In fact, they claim there are 8 buttons accessible without taking your thumbs off either trackpad.

I don't know, this thing is certainly different and I can't claim I'm not a little skeptical.  But I would really need to try it first.

Official page.

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2013, 03:57:30 PM »

Having that many buttons on the back kind of worries me. While I've developed a gamer's hand-eye coordination for knowing what buttons are where on the front of the controller, it might be tougher for buttons on the back. Heck, I don't play a lot of XBox and so I still get confused which order the X and Y buttons are in.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2013, 04:28:38 PM »

Heck, I don't play a lot of XBox and so I still get confused which order the X and Y buttons are in.

I do too, but that's because the buttons have absolutely nothing to distinguish them other than their labels.  Heck, I had the same problem with the Playstation shape buttons at first.  I've been playing Playstation games for long enough that I'm used to it now, but I remember being seriously confused about which button was triangle, which was square, etc. when I started out.

I just don't see that problem with rear buttons, though.  They're ergonomically distinct.  First of all there's the obvious distinction between the left and right halves of the controller...hard to get confused about that.  But on top of that, the positioning of the buttons is far enough apart vertically that it becomes obvious which is which right away.

Also, I think Valve is counting the clickable touchpads in their 8 buttons-without-taking-thumbs-off-the-touchpads number.  Which means there's only two extra rear buttons (one on each side...) compared to what we're used to with triggers on current systems.  That doesn't really seem confusing to me.  Honestly, I wish there were more rear buttons on current controllers.  Why do my thumbs have to do all the world while most of my fingers are doing literally nothing?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: