Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 23, 2014, 08:33:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
332024 Posts in 13601 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Gust making a spiritual successor to Ar Tonelico: Ar no Surge
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print
Author Topic: Gust making a spiritual successor to Ar Tonelico: Ar no Surge  (Read 12513 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2013, 01:50:40 PM »

Remember Surge Concerto: Ciel no Surge, that weird life sim for the Vita (that never made it out of Japan...)?  Well, Gust is making a new game set in the same universe but this time around it's a full-blown RPG:

http://gematsu.com/2013/09/ar-no-surge-announced-for-playstation-3

The description (song magic, protecting people in combat, going into people's heart, etc.) sounds very much like an Ar Tonelico game.  Though another real entry in the Ar Tonelico series is unlikely to happen (it was a collaboration with Banpresto and there are legal issues there...), this is the next best thing.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »

The third Ar Tone was just about everything I hate about that....part of JRPGs it is (music aside).  I hope this can be better?  Will we even see it?  Ah well.  Cool beans for what it is.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 02:07:10 PM »

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 02:29:16 PM »

The third Ar Tone was just about everything I hate about that....part of JRPGs it is (music aside).  I hope this can be better?  Will we even see it?  Ah well.  Cool beans for what it is.

The third game was seriously disappointing but I still love the first two.  I just hope that Gust has learned their lesson from it.

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 06:19:32 PM »

I'm excited.

And by excited I mean incredibly thrilled.
Ashton
Contributing Editor

Lawful Asshole

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »

Yeah, the third game was dreadful. I liked the first game, the second game was okay, let's hope they know what they're doing this time.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 08:47:37 PM »

All of your reactions deterred me from giving the third a run (I still have the LE unopened on my shelf), although I too loved the first. The second wasn't quite as charming to me, with a weaker cast. Jaqui (from 2) however, was the exception... she was bad ass :)

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »

I wonder if the protagonist this time will be an idiot savant again or a doormat again?

Also congrats on your 999th post Klyde and a preemptive congrats on your 1000th post.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2013, 09:37:54 PM »

All of your reactions deterred me from giving the third a run (I still have the LE unopened on my shelf), although I too loved the first. The second wasn't quite as charming to me, with a weaker cast. Jaqui (from 2) however, was the exception... she was bad ass :)

Play it. I went in with really low expectations due to the hubris and ended up loving the game.
It's far from perfect, but it's still a very solid game.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:41:18 PM by Annubis » Logged
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »

Yeah, I'm hoping for the best for this one. The third Ar Tonelico turned out to be all kinds of disappointment...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 12:40:25 AM »

I'm with Annubis.  I heard all kinds of bad things beforehand and went in with really low expectations.  It was better than I thought it was going to be.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2013, 01:29:24 AM »

I wonder if the protagonist this time will be an idiot savant again or a doormat again?

I don't even know who is supposed to be who there.  I wouldn't describe any of the AT protagonists with either of those terms...

Play it. I went in with really low expectations due to the hubris and ended up loving the game.
It's far from perfect, but it's still a very solid game.

Well it's certainly playable, but "very solid" seems like it's pushing it to me.  The characters lack any depth and the combat is a huge step back.  It tries to be a more ARPG-esque battle system but what it boils down to in practice is just button mashing.  Then there's all the completely unnecessary fanservice they shoved in the game.  Yes, AT was always heavy in the innuendo, but having characters literally strip off their clothes in the middle of battle can't be called innuendo anymore.  And since the revytails are so shallow to begin with this time around that's really the only thing you remember them for.

Still, it's not like the game is broken or something.  I mean, Gust at there worst is still better than Compile Heart ;)

ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2013, 01:57:11 AM »

I mean, Gust at there worst is still better than Compile Heart ;)

*glances at shelf* Nope. Mugen Souls (the US censored version) and the first Neptunia are two titles I'll gladly play repeatedly if it means I never have to see Ar Tonelico III or Atelier Annie again. The original Rorona could make this list of Gust strikes as well if I allow myself to throw in personal tastes rather than looking at the games objectively; but at least that's getting a proper rework.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 02:00:31 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2013, 03:07:01 AM »

Well it's certainly playable, but "very solid" seems like it's pushing it to me.  The characters lack any depth and the combat is a huge step back.  It tries to be a more ARPG-esque battle system but what it boils down to in practice is just button mashing.  Then there's all the completely unnecessary fanservice they shoved in the game.  Yes, AT was always heavy in the innuendo, but having characters literally strip off their clothes in the middle of battle can't be called innuendo anymore.  And since the revytails are so shallow to begin with this time around that's really the only thing you remember them for.

While still not great, the difficulty and hard option are much better than the difficulty of the first 2 games which end up as complete snore fest (even if you keep your starter equipment, I did that on both and it was still piss easy).
The 3d models are pretty well done considering the shift from 2d to 3d and ended up the best 3d in a Gust game to date (back then).
The music was still divine and the way you could equip 'song parts' in combat was a pretty neat addition (how come nobody ever mentions this one?).
The little unclothing animation was COMPLETELY avoidable in combat; it ONLY happens if you shake the controller when the graph is on a peak. Seeing there are way more 'not peaks' than 'peaks', if this thing offends you, it is trivially easy to skip (it is shown a handful of times in the story though, no skipping those). You don't get any special bonus for doing it on a peak either, so no loss at all.
The METHOD_HYMMELI cutscene just before the last dungeon is damn awesome.

I won't defend against your other points though as you are completely right. I'm just saying this game as some good points too.
I still think the biggest difference is you all went in expecting something better than 2 while me and CluelessWonder went in expecting Superman 64.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 03:51:21 AM by Annubis » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2013, 04:01:22 AM »

We're just going to have to agree to disagree, ZeronHitaro.  I fell the complete opposite.  I would still rather play any of the Gust games you mentioned than any of the Compile Heart games you mentioned.

The little unclothing animation was COMPLETELY avoidable in combat; it ONLY happens if you shake the controller when the graph is on a peak. Seeing there are way more 'not peaks' than 'peaks', if this thing offends you, it is trivially easy to skip (it is shown a handful of times in the story though, no skipping those). You don't get any special bonus for doing it on a peak either, so no loss at all.

I'm going to have to contest this point.  You most certainly do get bonuses for doing it.  That's how the whole song magic evolution mechanic worked this time around, and I believe it was also a prerequisite for unlocking super moves.  Sure, the game is probably easy enough that you could make it through it without using that, but it's only "optional" in the sense that you could choose to play any game without ever using your best moves.  You're making it sound like it's just cosmetic, which isn't true.

(That said, I'm not "offended" by the mechanic so much as I think it's really, really stupid.  I have a pretty high tolerance for fanservice, but this mechanic just felt so unnecessary...)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: