Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 07:48:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330180 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Gust making a spiritual successor to Ar Tonelico: Ar no Surge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print
Author Topic: Gust making a spiritual successor to Ar Tonelico: Ar no Surge  (Read 11552 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2013, 05:00:42 AM »

I'm going to have to contest this point.  You most certainly do get bonuses for doing it.  That's how the whole song magic evolution mechanic worked this time around, and I believe it was also a prerequisite for unlocking super moves.  Sure, the game is probably easy enough that you could make it through it without using that, but it's only "optional" in the sense that you could choose to play any game without ever using your best moves.  You're making it sound like it's just cosmetic, which isn't true.

Actually, you misunderstood me. What I'm talking about is the 5 or so second full screen stripping animation. As long as you don't shake your controller on a peak, your reivateyl will strip and get to the next level, but you won't have the little cutscene.
Stripping (shacking the controller) on a peak or not peak doesn't change anything else.
It's also useful if you just want to hurry up.
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2013, 07:02:39 AM »

I'm excited.

And by excited I mean incredibly thrilled.
I second this. I love Ar Tonelico, even 3. Heck 1 is my favorite game. A spiritual successor should hopefully be amazing.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2013, 12:18:56 PM »

I wonder if the protagonist this time will be an idiot savant again or a doormat again?

I don't even know who is supposed to be who there.  I wouldn't describe any of the AT protagonists with either of those terms...

I was referring to the male leads, Lyner and that guy from 3 as the former and Croix as the latter. Especially in regards to Cosmospheres and item creations (although Croix does get better as the game goes on, especially once he starts grasping the true depth of crazy he's working with).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2013, 05:36:28 PM »

I wonder if the protagonist this time will be an idiot savant again or a doormat again?

I don't even know who is supposed to be who there.  I wouldn't describe any of the AT protagonists with either of those terms...

I was referring to the male leads, Lyner and that guy from 3 as the former and Croix as the latter. Especially in regards to Cosmospheres and item creations (although Croix does get better as the game goes on, especially once he starts grasping the true depth of crazy he's working with).

I loved Lyner. He is one of my favorite pretty-boy-shallow-do-gooder-main characters actually. Something about him always reminded me of early 90's Gavin Rossdale with armor and a sword... don't ask me why.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 08:14:22 PM »

http://gematsu.com/2013/09/ar-no-surge-first-details-screenshots

Some details and pics of Ar Tonelico 4. I'm willing to believe that based on the pictures, the MC is more of a Croix type protagonist than a Lyner type.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 09:27:26 PM »

Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2013, 08:06:47 PM »

Well, certainly sounds promising, at least. I need to see how the combat works, though.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 05:56:58 PM »

Article + screens:
http://gematsu.com/2013/11/ar-no-surge-battle-system-detailed-ion-casti-introduced

Video
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B00-PLXQhnF4M0dxTEROVlhMU2s/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

Wait, wait wait... is that a 3D AT2 battle system ?

SOLD!!!
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 06:00:16 PM by Annubis » Logged
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 06:05:47 PM »

The bigger issue for western audiences: What's the chance that Temco Koei will localize it?

It's fine for those who speak Japanese, but now for those who don't I'm not so sure. . .
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2013, 06:31:09 PM »

Eh, you can criticize their implementation certainly (stealth releases, lack of dual audio in Ayesha...), but Tecmo has localized everything Gust has done since acquiring them.  And there is an Ar Tonelico fanbase in the west.  I wouldn't be too pessimistic.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2013, 03:49:34 PM »

http://youtu.be/KHBBzTIHAh4

What I can only assume is the Opening for the game at around the 21 minute mark (I doubt they'd budget all that animation, music, and fancy 3D....shapes-things[?] for just a trailer).

Wowie! :D
Looks pretty, you get more of the same (but excellent) Ar Tonelico-style music.  I'm getting less of a "harem" feeling too. 

It's part of the Gust 20th Anniversary press conference, so you see some other Atelier news as well.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 03:53:44 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Annubis

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 03:55:36 PM »

Cool, there's a robot too in the party apparently.

It's been a long time since I've been hyped about a game to this degree =)
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2013, 04:09:46 PM »

That's kinda what I was getting at actuallly.  Ciel seems more affiliated with the robot than the MC.  SO I wonder if it'll be more canon pairings than harem.

I'm kinda psyched too.... I don't know why.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 06:35:54 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2013, 07:18:17 PM »

I'm psyched and I know why: Everything I've seen about this game looks more AT2 than AT3.  Seems Gust learned their lesson.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 10, 2013, 08:51:03 AM »

That's kinda what I was getting at actuallly.  Ciel seems more affiliated with the robot than the MC.  SO I wonder if it'll be more canon pairings than harem.

I'm kinda psyched too.... I don't know why.

I would be willing to put money down that there will be heroine choice of some kind for the ending at this point. If the battle system had two singers like in Ar Tonelico 2, then I might be willing to believe that they were going to go for a canon pairing route, but since my understanding is that the singer is switched between the two (or three since I would also be willing to put money down that there will be a third singer.....because successor to Ar Tonelico) I feel very confident that they are going to go for the "harem" solution.

Side note have they announced the singers for the game yet? The presumed intro singer sounded similar in style and voice to the one for the Ar Tonelico games, so I assume she is the same/back (and I do not remember that singer's name immediately). I'm hoping Haruka Shimotsuki (hope I spelled that right) returns as she generally had my favorite pieces.

Also I am psyched.....but Ar Tonelico is my current favorite game, so no surprises thee.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: