Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 31, 2014, 07:04:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
335294 Posts in 13728 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Gust making a spiritual successor to Ar Tonelico: Ar no Surge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Print
Author Topic: Gust making a spiritual successor to Ar Tonelico: Ar no Surge  (Read 15421 times)
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #165 on: June 28, 2014, 04:26:51 PM »

Actually, Xillia 2 being a narrative sequel is the problem. I don't think I'll ever be able to find the motivation to finish Xillia, so I doubt I'll ever play Xillia 2, no matter how good it is...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #166 on: June 28, 2014, 08:07:57 PM »

Yeah, I was similarly down on Xillia.  I don't know if I was just burnt out on Tails games or what, but I couldn't ever find the motivation to finish it.  But I loved Graces F...

Anyway, speaking of finishing stuff I did finally finish this game.  I enjoyed it overall, but I definitely have many criticisms.  There was an overall lack of polish to the whole thing...I feel like the ideas were solid but it really could have benefited from a longer development cycle.  I mentioned the verbosity and pitifully short dungeons already and that much stayed true 'til the end.  In fact there were a number of places in the latter third of the game where I was really expecting a boss fight but the game decided to just handle everything in completely non-interactive cut scenes...kind of lame.

The combat system had potential but I feel like they just didn't do enough with it.  In addition to the short dungeons there was a ridiculous amount of enemy reskinning.  Everywhere you go you fight the same old shit just with slightly different color schemes.  Heck, even
Code:
when you travel to Ar Ciel, the Ar Tonelico world, which is a totally different world than where most of Ar Nosurge takes place
you're fighting the same old enemies.  That doesn't even make sense.  Plus every song is just attack magic and the only thing that really distinguishes them is that later songs are...well, better attack magic.  They throw in this system where you can't use a particular song for an encounter if you've been using it too much and that's literally the only reason not to just always use to latest song you got.  It feels artificial.

The wave mechanic is kind of neat at first but becomes a bit tiring in the sense that the most logical move is always to build up your song to the point where you can wipe out all the enemies in a given area.  So you fight one sorta-long battle per area instead of a lot of little ones.  Is that better?  I don't know.  The thing is I was just always using the same attacks to get break after break after break until I had built the song magic up enough to kill everything.  Every battle, every time.  The game desperately needed more variety.

Boss fights were the only thing that broke this pattern, since you couldn't just get breaks every turn and actually had to defend yourself.  But they also felt a little bit cheap at times.  See, unlike AT2 in the defense segments you don't have a gauge or anything telling you went to block, you're supposed to just figure out by watching the attack animation.  But some of these boss attacks had extremely elaborate animations and it's not really clear when you're supposed to block if it's your first time seeing it.  On top of that you are only allowed a limited number of block attempts per turn so if you jump the gun you can burn them up before the attack animation is actually finished...

OK, enough criticizing.  Things it did well:  Music, of course.  The story was interesting, and the characters were pretty good for the most part (though there were a few exceptions...).  Heck, even though they started out as a pretty standard clueless hero and tsundere tropes I actually felt that Delta and Casty's relationship eventually developed into one of the more convincing video game romances I can recall.  The dive segments were also handled pretty well.  I enjoy seeing the darker, repressed side of characters like this.  The more...meta aspects of the story were certainly novel.  I don't think I would want to play a lot of games like that but it's a nice change of pace once in a while.  The combat system had its enjoyable parts too, it just desperately needed more variety.

In the end I feel like in some ways the game's biggest problem was that it was just too ambitious for the budget and resources they had to make it.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2014, 12:31:59 AM »

Actually, Xillia 2 being a narrative sequel is the problem. I don't think I'll ever be able to find the motivation to finish Xillia, so I doubt I'll ever play Xillia 2, no matter how good it is...

If it helps (apparently it won't); and as a self-proclaimed Tales-tard (since day 1 in the NA with Tales of Destiny) and vocal spokesperson *against* Xillia; fanboys and girls seem to love Xill2; the little I played felt great as well.  It sucks a lot is recycled; but I heard the story is actually quite touching (and even if not; the battle system was a blast).

There was an overall lack of polish to the whole thing...

What?

A Gust title that needs polish!?  Ya don't say!

I think they work on a style>substance level

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2014, 09:26:14 PM »

Yeeeah I don't think GUST has ever released a polished game.

Maybe New Atelier Rorona gets the closest, I guess?
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #169 on: July 01, 2014, 02:19:51 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/01/ar-nosurge-will-released-north-america-september-23rd/

Confirmed for a September 23rd release in North America!
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #170 on: July 11, 2014, 09:28:34 PM »

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/07/11/nis-america-publish-ar-nosurge-limited-edition-north-america/

Limited Edition Get!!

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #171 on: July 11, 2014, 09:58:08 PM »

Worth mentioning that there's an English trailer out now.

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #172 on: July 12, 2014, 07:39:02 AM »

Preordered! Yes!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2014, 11:29:36 PM »

So....what's the timeline for the Ar games? Is this is the most recent?

I only have the original Ar Tonelico for the PS2.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #174 on: July 14, 2014, 12:35:43 AM »

Ar No Surge is a prequel to the Ar Tonelico trilogy, a very distant prequel, along with Ciel No Surge, but it has a crossover involving a certain character from the first Ar Tonelico.
raisel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #175 on: July 14, 2014, 10:47:12 AM »

The timeline is more or less like this:

Ciel nosurge - 1304 BC
Ar nosurge - 3037 AD
Ar tonelico 1 - 3770 AD
Ar tonelico 2 - 3772 AD
Ar tonelico 3 - 3774 AD

As there is an approximately 5000 year difference between the times of Ciel and Ar nosurge according to in-game dialogue.

And by the way, Ciel and Ar nosurge are supposed to be the Surge Concerto games, which alongside Ar tonelico form part of the EXA_PICO Universe. Finally, as shown by the localized title, the "Nosurge" is supposed to be a single word: it's a term for devices and songs that can draw energy from other dimensions to accomplish a specific purpose in the in-game world.

And as a note to Kevadu, keep on mind that Gust is a small studio by itself, and the staff in charge of the EXA_PICO games are always getting an even smaller budget and work team than the ones that work on the Atelier games. Given this, is no surprise that the game ends feeling less polished or lacking in something than the Atelier ones.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 10:50:24 AM by raisel » Logged

Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #176 on: July 15, 2014, 10:13:12 PM »

And we didn't get Ciel nosurge, correct?

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #177 on: July 15, 2014, 11:03:13 PM »

No, but with the announcement of the "Offline" version, which has all twelve chapters (the final one of which hasn't actually been released in Japan yet) and without the weird social media aspects of the game, the chances went up, especially since Tecmo Koei seems to love the Vita.

I'm not saying it's inevitable or anything, just more likely. Especially since Tecmo Koei doesn't shy away from games with huge amounts of text, as Ar nosurge itself indicates.

And yes, that means the sequel to Ciel nosurge was released before Ciel was actually complete.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2014, 11:05:19 PM by Zendervai » Logged
raisel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #178 on: July 15, 2014, 11:12:04 PM »

Ironically, the final chapter is slated to be released at the end of this month.

And according to the news, Ciel nosurge Offline is not going to axe the social elements: it's making them optional, as the forced internet connectivity is eliminated and players apparently can just repair Ion's memories by sending their own Sharls and spending HymPs (a sort-of in-game currency) to make time advance, rather than having to hire the other players' Sharls to do so.

Ma ki ga exec aulla ganna dand oz ee ciel. mAtyAy aje lyuma/.
N waw W an-pu kiu-wa-fen-ne miriu-du ahih=yeta-a;
QuelI-> { EXwI[cez]->{ic-p ciel}->{ic-b ciol};}->ExeC->{DW};
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #179 on: September 23, 2014, 07:16:08 AM »

So read a summary of Ciel Nosurge to prep for Ar Nosurge coming out (probably getting it tomorrow). I'm torn, on one hand I would like for it come out because the world set up is really interesting. On the other hand reading summaries of each chapter still took me several days to get through, I can only imagine how much text is actually in the game, so I doubt there is any chance of that ever happening, even with the rerelease of the offline edition. >.>
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: