Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 29, 2014, 10:17:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329952 Posts in 13522 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Moving into the next gen with Sony. Advise me please.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Moving into the next gen with Sony. Advise me please.  (Read 830 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2013, 03:02:42 PM »

So I've got my buck up to buy the PS4. I know I'm gonna want it eventually, and I've blindly grabbed every other playstation at launch without regret. But as I reflect it was always easy to move on to the next gen because there were games I wanted to pop in and play. At present, I see nothing at launch that even remotely peaks my interest. That aside, I see lots of titles coming out I could just pre-order and pay off for the ps3 that I KNOW i am going to NEED in my collection.

So my question is as follows, although the answer seems obvious... is there any reason I am missing to jump onto the ps4 bandwagon at launch? Would it be a better move to buy the half dozen RPG's and spin-offs I want coming out tentatively between now and 1st quarter next year instead?

I really sort of feel that (unless I overlooked something) my tastes really are not going to be catered to via the PS4 for some time and it would prove a better decision to let the library get fleshed out with some more titles first.

I suppose my confusion stems from being a creature of habit and always grabbing a playstation at launch like a tradition. But this generation still seems to have quite a bit of life left to it and the fact that sooooo much came out worth playing I haven't even gotten to yet makes me wonder if it would be pragmatic to break tradition at this point....

What I would really like to hear is some good logic behind jumping in head-first and getting the ps4 because right now I see NO reason to just yet.

I am also curious about sony's silly device activation. I have 2 ps3's and a psp activated already. Presuming I grab a vita in addition to the ps4, does this mean I am going to have to deactivate and retire systems to activate and effectively utilize my new hardware??

Lastly, as we all remember, launch model hardware for the ps3 was leagues beyond the models that came soon there-after. Does anyone see this being the case with the PS4?

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 03:20:30 PM »

I"m getting a launch. I have no good reason for it other than "why not?"
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 03:41:19 PM »

And the early PS3 is a ugly brick. 2nd model PS3 is sexy as fuck
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:44:35 PM »

I"m getting a launch. I have no good reason for it other than "why not?"

Yeah so wanna buy me things?? :D

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 03:48:08 PM »

I have never bought any console at launch, and honestly I'm a little confused why so many people do.  I'll buy a new console when there's a game I want for it, never sooner.  And the PS4's launch lineup seems pretty 'meh' to me.  Honestly, the only game out of the bunch I could even see myself buying is Knack, but it's not exactly a must-have.

If Sega would localize Yakuza Ishin I might buy one for that.  Hahahahahahahahahah, that's never going to happen...

Lastly, as we all remember, launch model hardware for the ps3 was leagues beyond the models that came soon there-after. Does anyone see this being the case with the PS4?

This seems very unlikely to me.  The launch PS3 was a beast with its features, which is why Sony was losing $200 on each one despite selling them at $600.  BC required a whole secondary chipset and was an obvious thing to cut.  Then there were things like all the card readers that most people probably never used.

The PS4 has taken a much more modest approach.  Not only is it priced lower to start with, but there's every indication that Sony isn't selling it at anywhere near the kind of loss the PS3 was sold at.  But perhaps more importantly, it doesn't seem like there's really anything for them to cut.  It's much more barebones to start with, and it actually needs everything that's in there.

natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 03:58:46 PM »

Personally, I wait for the first or second price drop. Gives time for initial bugs to be worked out in the real world (for example, 360's RROD), and you don't pay as much as you would at launch. That's how I look at it.
However, if you have the extra funds, and you feel you should have it ASAP, then by all means. Spoil yourself. YOLO, fo' shizzle.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »

I have never bought any console at launch, and honestly I'm a little confused why so many people do.  I'll buy a new console when there's a game I want for it, never sooner.  And the PS4's launch lineup seems pretty 'meh' to me. 

I will say I DO get caught up in hype...after the PS4 conference and pre-order went up, the only thing I wanted to do was slap down that $50 deposit and soak in the good feels.  
I also felt like that for the Wii U system release as well.... I'm glad I thought about that one carefully and reconsidered (not that the WiiU is bad, maybe a little underwhelming, but also with money being what it is on my side).

Given how crazy stores will be for the PS4's release and the upcoming holiday making people pants-on-head retarded, I'm waiting this system out as well.  The games look good, but nothing I can't wait on.  

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2013, 05:39:59 PM »

Hm... well in the hypothetical situation that I go for a PS4 on day 1 I would get; Resogun (PSN), Warframe (PSN/Free-to-play) and Knack. So yeah, 3 games. That's not bad if you ask me.

I didn't mention "The Playroom" because that's more of a demo thing (it doesn't look bad though).
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 06:47:54 PM »

Knack was the only thing that looked appealing to me as well. Though I am still not learned in what will be available on PSN... forgot about that aspect entirely - LoL

So no one has any clue about the system activation thing/problem?

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 07:06:28 PM »

Not sure anyone knows.  I know they count "consoles" (PS3) and "handhelds" (PSP or Vita) differently, but the PSP and Vita do count towards the same limit.  But that could change with the PS4...and then there's the Vita TV too.  I have no idea what that would count as...

Still, activating/deactivating systems isn't that hard so long as you still have the system.

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 09:03:56 PM »

Not sure anyone knows.  I know they count "consoles" (PS3) and "handhelds" (PSP or Vita) differently, but the PSP and Vita do count towards the same limit.  But that could change with the PS4...and then there's the Vita TV too.  I have no idea what that would count as...

Still, activating/deactivating systems isn't that hard so long as you still have the system.

I remember it proving problematic for me at one point, but I can't recall why. I should really check and see if I have things activated that I no longer use or own...

Triscal-Goddess / PSN
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2013, 12:22:22 AM »

I'd pretty much repeat what Kevadu said, except that I don't even have a PS3 yet.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2013, 08:22:24 PM »

From what I remember, both the PS2 and PS3 sort of had a huge dearth of quality games for their first couple years.

Not that I remember anything or don't have weird delusions about becoming inanimate objects.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2013, 09:49:22 PM »

From what I remember, both the PS2 and PS3 sort of had a huge dearth of quality games for their first couple years.

Not that I remember anything or don't have weird delusions about becoming inanimate objects.

To be fair though, pretty much every console has had a huge dearth of quality games for the first year or two. It takes a while for developers to acclimate to a new technological environment, even with dev kits available, and that's not counting the shoddy slapdash ports which tend to hurt the development of both versions of the game.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: