Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 02, 2014, 08:19:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330182 Posts in 13529 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  compulsive need to finish games
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: compulsive need to finish games  (Read 1748 times)
Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2013, 02:26:08 PM »

I hate my OCD tendencies... truth be told, as strange and "icky" as Kingdom Hearts made me feel... and with all the other games I'm itching to get to... After having traded in my copy upon deeming it unhealthy for me and buying a WII U bundle, I STILL CANNOT GET THIS STUPID GAME OFF MY MIND! I've literally had recurring nightmares for a week now involving KH.

This all stems from me being a freakin' fruit loop and needing to finish what I start. I feel like I can't even get to disgaea in a week and half from now happily (despite it being my favorite franchise period) without taking the plunge and getting through this and at the same time, somewhere in my gut I know I shouldn't.

Yes it IS just a game... no it shouldn't affect me like this... and good god how liberating it would be to just say "i don't like it, no sir, not even looking at that again".... But my disordered thinking and tendencies dictate otherwise for me.

Does anyone else have this type problem? How do you handle it? Do you just knock em out and conquer games for the sake of your sanity or do you level with yourself and say realistically "this should just yield enjoyment" and drop em.

I'm making a post about it and inquiring because I never realized until now how vexing a problem this is for me and my gaming. With some titles being as long as they are, the compulsive need to finish what you start could net you quite a few hours of torture.

Am I the only one that suffers from this brand of insanity?

EDIT: I should note that I do know myself well enough to know that the answer for me in situations such as this is beat the snot out of the game. Its the only answer for an obsessive compulsive fool such as myself. I'm really just curious to see how you folks deal with this type of thing... or whether you deal with it at all-haha

« Last Edit: September 27, 2013, 02:41:26 PM by Klyde Chroma » Logged

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 02:58:09 PM »

I generally get that way when the material in question really piques my interest, kinda like Sword Art Online did and I watched the whole series. However it's not as bad as your by leaps and bounds because when something sucks to me I drop it hard.

TASTY!
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2013, 03:18:02 PM »

Yes it IS just a game... no it shouldn't affect me like this... and good god how liberating it would be to just say "i don't like it, no sir, not even looking at that again".... But my disordered thinking and tendencies dictate otherwise for me.

"Is just a game."

Just like any kind of media video games have an impact in the psyche of a person. The impact varies from person to person of course, but it is a thing.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2013, 03:37:13 PM »

I never trade in any games so I don't really have the same issue.

I will however really want to play games I lent to friends soon after giving them. It doesn't go away until I get them back, play them for five minutes and move on.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 06:43:36 PM »

Game Shark or other such cheat device.  That way, one can easily complete it for the story with minimal effort and move on to something else, so as to satisfy their ADD. 

Next bike-a-thon: PD500 Rock 'n Roll ride (to benefit Parkinson's Disease) October 5, 2014
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 08:16:09 PM »

I've gotten over compulsively 100%-ing anything from Squeenix at least.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 08:22:34 PM »

I've gotten over compulsively 100%-ing anything from Squeenix at least.

Probably wasn't too hard to do considering how much of a commitment it takes to 100% some of their more recent games.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 08:50:44 PM »

No.

I have to say more? Well, I'm very particular about what I even decide to play, so it's rare for me to not play through a game nowadays. Still, if I end up not liking it for some reason, or simply get bored, I will drop it, and move on to something else. I'll feel somewhat guilty for a day or two, and tell myself that I'll get back to it, but I know I won't.
Life's too short to play games that aren't amazing me.

Playing:
Reading: Mistborn by Brandon Sanderson
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 12:04:44 AM »

The only time I don't finish a game is if it sucks BAD. That being a broken or un-interesting game.

Also, if it terrifies me. After loving Demon's Souls I can't play Dark Souls. It causes such anxiety in me I can't bear to even turn it on.

Then there's games like Skyrim and GTA. I don't even buy them because I know I'll never stop playing.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2013, 12:37:51 AM »

I usually just stop playing most games after 10 hours, whether I finish them or not.

I have no attention span.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 07:20:53 AM »

I'm obsessive about beating games for the most part. Well JRPGs at least. Also aim for 100%ing them. Off the top of my head I can only think of two games that I started and did not complete. Baten Kaito: Orgins because I hated having only one deck and I ended up skipping battles and got to the end unable to win boss fights. >.> Second was Last Rebellion, where I played for 5 minutes and then said no. Eventually I'll probably play them again using cheats just to get them off my list, but I've got a substantial backlog to work through first. Oh and Diablo III, but I'm going to get around to that one sooner or later.....I think.
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2013, 03:31:39 PM »

The only time I don't finish a game is if it sucks BAD. That being a broken or un-interesting game.

One of these days, I'll finish a game made by Tri-Ace (well unless you count Tales of Phantasia since Wolf Team did work on that before transmuting into Tri-Ace).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2013, 03:39:24 PM »

I just realized that this topic looks really suspicious when it's the last bump

Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2013, 04:33:43 PM »

I used to. Kind of the opposite now, which has it's positives and negatives. I dropped SMT4 and I'm glad I did. I was getting overpowered and wasn't feeling it as much then I got neutral route and it wanted me most/all of the sidequests. I didn't want to. So I didn't. I'm still glad I got the game and had a lot of fun with it. But I don't regret not forcing myself to play near the end when the quality went down. At most it's 'I should really youtube the ending some time..'

But on the negative I'm dropping things I like when the next game I want comes out. I'll get a game, promise myself not to play it until I finish what I'm playing..and then play it anyway and never get back to the first game.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 28, 2013, 07:44:12 PM »

I dont exactly have this problem but I do have a few retarded mental rules that I make for myself..
Replaying the games I love makes me go insane because I start thinking about the other 3-4 hundred games I still havent played and that are on my backlog. I have this fucking stupid notion that if I stop playing an RPG for 4 days I have to start over because apparently I have no memory retention whatsoever, I have this idiotic compulsive idea that I wont be able to fully experience the story if I dont play the game every day or every 2nd day, even if I dont make relevant progress on the main storyline.
I only finish gamess that I am enjoying and I have no problem dropping them if I am not enjoying it.
When I play games with multiple endings I have an insane OCD need to go for the best ending(I hate the fucking idea of having to replay a game to get the canonical ending unless it is something done in the style of 999 where replaying the game is easy and you can skip shit you already saw) and consult the routes online leading me to accidently running into spoilers and completely ruining the game for me.
FUCK MULTIPLE ENDINGS or atleast make it so that a player will always be able to access the canonical ending without having to do cryptic bullshit(Like in valkyrie profile). Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross did it perfectly, no complaints there.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: