Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 18, 2014, 01:47:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331589 Posts in 13576 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  compulsive need to finish games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: compulsive need to finish games  (Read 1826 times)
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2013, 08:36:29 PM »

Chrono Cross

I thought I read somewhere that a lot of people never knew there was a 'real' ending to the game.
The final elemental song is pretty cryptic without the Internet.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2013, 09:04:44 PM »

Oh I guess you do have a point but I stumbled upon the solution accidentaly. When I got the spell itself and I tried to use it, it just wouldnt do anything, my reaction was like "wtf is this supposed to do". I googled it and I found out that it was only useful in the last boss.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2013, 09:14:07 PM »

Oh I guess you do have a point but I stumbled upon the solution accidentaly. When I got the spell itself and I tried to use it, it just wouldnt do anything, my reaction was like "wtf is this supposed to do". I googled it and I found out that it was only useful in the last boss.

I figured it out when I tried using Chrono Cross (in the Dario fight of all places), realized the connection between those chimes, spheres in the corner of the screen, and the Fifth Seventh Element, and applied video game logic to realize that I needed a correct sequence. Then I got to that room in Terra Tower, recognized the chimes and recorded the order down.

Then I got to the final boss fight, noticed the lack of sound, and realized that at a certain point, the boss flips out and starts using the sequence itself (before that point the boss just spams Green and maybe Blue or Yellow elements at you and has zero physical attacks at all; and after that he just stands there until you beat him the right way or the wrong way, provided you survived the spam since it's out of spells at that point).

The tl;dr is that the Time Devourer is a pretty lame final boss. The other Time Devourer is pretty much the true final boss.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2013, 09:21:11 PM »

Well.. I probably could have figured it out eventually..
I actually thought the chrono cross was just going to be an awesome overpowered spell, I had no idea it was actually a puzzle for the final boss. With that thought in mind I googled it and ruined the chance of even trying to figuring it out on my own.

CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2013, 12:50:34 AM »

I used to feel the need to finish games when I had limited funds and spent $60 on a game.  I was going to get my money's worth dammit!  After buying one too many games that offered little to no enjoyment, I got a gamefly subscription.  Now I feel no qualms about sending a game back the next day if I don't like it.  Grim is right.  Life is too short to chain yourself to a game that feels like a chore.

Currently Playing:  Brave Story:  New Traveler, various ios games

Currently Reading: 

Recently Beat: Shivah, Tales of the World:  Radiant Mythology, Thief
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2013, 01:20:50 AM »

Life's too short to play games that aren't amazing me.

Grim is right.  Life is too short to chain yourself to a game that feels like a chore.

If you are going into a game without having an idea of what you just bought in the first place then you are doing something wrong in that whole process IMO. Especially nowadays with so much info flowing about games in the Internet. And also taking that in consideration the whole "Life is too short" motto is just an excuse in the end.
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2013, 01:45:41 AM »

I read reviews.  Heck that is what got me coming to rpgfan.  I also read impressions of people on forums and check out gameplay videos.  With doing that, I still have gotten games that based on all the research I thought I would like it and I didn't.  Conversely I've liked games I never thought I would.

Also "Life is too short" isn't just a saying to me or an excuse.  When I was diagnosed with cancer, for a time I really thought I was going to die.   Luckily I am now in remission, yet in the back of my mind the thought it can still come back is there.  So maybe because I had to face my mortality, I am more aware of what precious little time we have.  I'm not wasting it doing something I don't enjoy.

Currently Reading: 

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2013, 02:35:59 AM »

I've never really seen gaming as a waste of time. Though I get that's a matter of perception, how you see life and what not.

And while that whole situation with mortality is something I've also experienced before I don't like that kind of shitty mentality/experience ruins any enjoyment out of... well anything really. Is easy to say that you should keep yourself motived to do stuff after you see your life threatened for whatever reason, but if anything that kinds of give you a reason to actually appreciate certain things more.

But anyway... I'm out of this depressing conversation. Go buy all the "bad games" that you want. :P
CluelessWonder

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2013, 03:44:09 AM »

I don't think we are communicating very well.  I've never said gaming is a waste of time.  I wouldn't be a member here if I thought it was.   I think investing time, forcing yourself to do anything you don't like that you don't have to is.   I'm not talking about work or exercise.  I'm talking about recreational activities that are meant to be fun; whether it be watching a movie or playing a game.  I will hit the eject button before the ending if I think it unworthy of my attention.

Currently Reading: 

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2013, 10:01:26 PM »

Chrono Cross's ending thing is a little obtuse  but at the least you should be able to pick up on needing to cast some spells in sequence, even if you didn't figure out what that sequence was.

VP's ending pretty much holds the cake for being really hard to figure out. Since it's like, dependent on EVERYTHING YOU DO.

Anyway, I think it's better to like, not look at necessarily whether you finish a game or not, but rather, how many hours of play time do you get out of a game before you think the price was justified? If you never see the ending of some RPG, but enjoy the half of it you did play, is there any reason to feel GUILTY about not beating it? You still had fun, right?

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2013, 10:09:51 PM »

I'm usually careful with which games I buy so up to now there's only 3 games I've never finished.

SO4 - I have a save at the last boss and I've never really wanted to finish it. I just lost any desire to do so.
ES - This game suffers from cutscene-itist. I can only give so many fucks about Chopin, and they wanted more than I could give.
FFXII - Same thing as SO4, last dungeon with everything else done. I just don't care about the last minute villain and don't see why I even want to beat him up. I was hoping that Larza was the real villain because that would have been completely awesome.
ferretwraith

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2013, 02:14:36 AM »

I don't think it is fair to say I ever had OCD, but what broke my compulsion to complete all games was Grandia III.

It was the first game that took my innocent dedication to finishing them, and just stabbed it with 8 different knives.  I normally get an odd fulfilled feeling when I finish a game, not at all that time.  I was left thinking I can't believe I spent 35 hours playing this game, the creators clearly didn't believe I was going to spend 35 hours playing this game, damn it damn it damn it fuck.  It's like the first time life teaches you not every person can be trusted, you can never go back to thinking every game needs to be completed.

I'm usually careful with which games I buy so up to now there's only 3 games I've never finished.

SO4 - I have a save at the last boss and I've never really wanted to finish it. I just lost any desire to do so.
ES - This game suffers from cutscene-itist. I can only give so many fucks about Chopin, and they wanted more than I could give.
FFXII - Same thing as SO4, last dungeon with everything else done. I just don't care about the last minute villain and don't see why I even want to beat him up. I was hoping that Larza was the real villain because that would have been completely awesome.

I just wanted to comment on how close this list is to my personal experience.  I owned SO4 for 3 years before I beat it.  Eternal Sonata, I overall enjoyed, but it took me 9 months to clock 29 hours of playtime.  FFXII did the morally ambiguous plot which I finished out of respect for it being a FF, but I had to take a serious pause and ask, "if I agree with the 'bad guys,' does that mean I should just stop playing?"

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2013, 02:21:45 AM »

I think I have actual OCD btw. Like, I was obsessed with always stopping my microwave at 11 seconds. For years. I also think my video game collecting is just a way of venting OCD tendencies.

The best thing was when I was between being a junior and senior and highschool and I decided to jump over this gate we had in the kitchen, to keep the dogs out of the rest of the house. crashed into it and sprained my ankle.

So obviously spending money on shitty PS2 games is a better alternative to picking up bizarrely self-destructive things.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2013, 02:36:19 AM »

I'm not really obsessive about it, but I usually really get into whatever game I'm playing. I want to finish what I start, unless I really don't like the game. I can take a break for weeks if I have to, but I probably won't play anything else in the meantime unless it's a different genre on a different system. And if I start a similar game, there's a decent chance I won't go back to the one I was playing.

So, that basically means I often finish 40 hour RPGs in less than a week. It's actually kind of a good thing. Not many reviewers are motivated enough to play through RPGs as fast as I do.

The downside is that I have a separate backlog of games I kind of want to finish, but don't really want to get back to...
Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2013, 04:14:26 AM »

VP's ending pretty much holds the cake for being really hard to figure out. Since it's like, dependent on EVERYTHING YOU DO.

VP's ending isn't really all that hard to figure out since all you need to do for it was nuke your Seal Rating (which you can do simply by not sending up any Einherjar for a while) and sending the obviously male lead up at the right time. No, the steaming load came from trying to keep up your Evaluation Rating while doing all that and holding on to all the artifacts since it means you can't really skip out on sending Einherjar which doesn't do your Seal Rating any good and basically requires all the extraneous bullshit like viewing certain scenes, taking off the Ring at the fucking start, and micromanaging your sendings to get the most mileage for the least cost (at least up until the cutoff point for the ending).

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: