Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 02:53:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334764 Posts in 13710 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Leather Pants & Men's Fashion
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Leather Pants & Men's Fashion  (Read 5696 times)
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2013, 04:43:40 PM »

Got mine in the mail yesterday, bought them for a music video shoot. Man do they feel comfortable and look awesome, not tight but not baggy. My girlfriend won't stop gushing over them, either. I'm all for leather, I think it's about time leather came back into men's fashion. Not the creepy shit from the 80s, though.

This also brings me another point. I'm a dude, I'm straight, but I also dig fashion. It just about kills me to walk into the average clothing store and see their selection for women and men. The girls get all this huge experimental assortment of thousands of different styles of clothing. And men, a thousand types of plaid shirts and blue jeans. Men's fashion has just become a contest of trying to look as indifferent as possible. I can't fucking stand it! Why is it so bad to care about how you look and making an impact? Throughout history, men have typically had just as many interesting fashion selections as women, but that all stopped about 80 years ago. Now doubly so because everyone's worried about "looking gay". I think gay guys are being more honest with themselves about their fashion interest. I believe a lot of straight guys purposefully bury their interests in personal looks in attempt to distinguish themselves more from feminine culture. But since when did fashion become a female-centric thing? Not in other cultures, and not in other periods of western history. This is weird.

Sorry, </rant>
« Last Edit: October 13, 2013, 04:45:16 PM by Prime Mover » Logged

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 04:49:34 PM »

I have a secret appreciation for women's fashion. I like seeing different outfits on them and surprisingly I don't find the shoe obssession so outlandish. That being said I myself am the proverbial tshirt and jeans guy. If I could get married in a black tshirt and blue jeans, I'd be the happiest groom on the face of the earth.

Also, leather pants are strange, though I can safely say I love a girl in a pair of leather pants. It just works.

TASTY!
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 04:53:43 PM »

It might be a good idea to check some Asian/Euro fashion for men, the varietals on the Western continent can be kinda pedestrian, I agree (all the same, some fellas don't have that 'flare' or spark to really dive into anything but).

I love fashion too, but I got a weird face and figure that rocks the tight pant-suits and work skirts than the frilly dresses or whatever else too explicitly "girly-girl".  I can't really do 'loud' clothes, which again, is a shame because I'd love to experiment.

Just to snowball into Prime's commentary:
Does anyone else buy 2 versions of the same shirt if it's one of those "perfect" items?

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 05:08:03 PM »

It might be a good idea to check some Asian/Euro fashion for men, the varietals on the Western continent can be kinda pedestrian, I agree (all the same, some fellas don't have that 'flare' or spark to really dive into anything but).

I love fashion too, but I got a weird face and figure that rocks the tight pant-suits and work skirts than the frilly dresses or whatever else too explicitly "girly-girl".  I can't really do 'loud' clothes, which again, is a shame because I'd love to experiment.

Does anyone else buy 2 versions of the same shirt if it's one of those "perfect" items?

For sure! A nice Henley is my staple in fall and spring. I'll get different colors and stuff for the same basic shirt.

I'm a tshirt fella. Nothing is better or more comfortable than a clean and new cotton-tee. Black or white.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 03:27:35 AM »

I like fashion, but at the same time I don't. It's probably because I like styles that doesn't really suit my figure and dislike the ones that do. I look good in dresses, but the main reason I like dresses is because you don't have to wear pants if you wear a dress. For some reason I always end up with long tops you do have to wear pants under. Like tunics and other long shirts. I have some really nice boots that go great with outfits like that. For some reason I also have like ten different sweatervests. Most are pretty colourful. I like colours.

I sometimes envy men. Sure, having tons of different weird stuffs to try on is nice, but half of it is out of fashion before the end of the season. Many items are made from weird, cheap fabric that clings to you in all the wrong places. And once you've assembled an outfit out of it, you probably need to buy a new pair of shoes. Good quality basics can be really hard to find. If you're a man, you can find a decent white dress shirt in minutes. I have been looking for one for months.

Yes, and people have started to notice... "Colour swaps are lazy! :P" "A shiny Tomara appeared, catch it!" "So you downloaded your alt costume? I'm not sure which I like better..."
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 03:35:26 AM by Tomara » Logged
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2013, 06:10:59 AM »

Well, "trends" are one thing, but I've never been much for them. What I'd like to do is have a good enough selection to build my own style, for the long term, seasonal fads be damned. Ever since late HS, I went against the grain, and built up my confidence with that. Yeah, I really feel bad for women, who are corralled into the latest fashion schemes, but there are other ways of building up a unique fashion sense without playing to the yearly craze. Do it for a while, and people will just know it as "you", and they'll respect you for neither playing to or playing against the latest trends. Maybe easier said than done, but I've witnessed people making it work.

Us guys... we almost don't have that option. I say "almost" though, because I've been able to play around A LITTLE BIT within the limited scope of acceptable modern day men's clothing options, but I do envy women for being able to play more.

That said, guys do have one advantage: we rarely struggle with finding the right sizes... if there are 1000 of the same type of pants, there's bound to be one in your size. Not so with women, who get a hundred racks of different clothing, all the same 5 sizes for the same body types. My girlfriend is 6ft with long legs... hell of a time finding the right sizes for clothing.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2013, 07:07:35 AM »

Ah fashion.....yeah not my thing. I value utility and comfort above anything else when it comes to clothes. For pants, I want pockets that are deep enough to stuff an original Gameboy or a DVD case. For shirts I want something light because I get warm easy. And for shoes, I want something that adequetly protects my feet from everything and anything that I will probably never encounter. As a result I pretty much wear the same outfit of a plain white t-shirt (collared polo version made of the same material if going to work, and long sleeved shirt version if it is cold enough to warrant it), slacks from the only company I know of that still makes deep pockets, and steel-toe hiking shoes. Been a year since I last bought any new clothes (which was adding the polos). Before that last time I bought clothes was three years prior to that when I added the long-sleeve shirts. Everything else that I wear regularly I've owned for about 8 years now. Well okay not shoes because those get worn out every 3-4 years, but I've been buying the exact same kind for about as long.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2013, 07:26:34 AM »

Well, "trends" are one thing, but I've never been much for them. What I'd like to do is have a good enough selection to build my own style, for the long term, seasonal fads be damned. Ever since late HS, I went against the grain, and built up my confidence with that. Yeah, I really feel bad for women, who are corralled into the latest fashion schemes, but there are other ways of building up a unique fashion sense without playing to the yearly craze. Do it for a while, and people will just know it as "you", and they'll respect you for neither playing to or playing against the latest trends. Maybe easier said than done, but I've witnessed people making it work.

Yep, it's certainly possible, but once you get there you'll find that some core items are hard to replace. For me it's dress shirts. I like clothes that are a bit masculine and geeky, which means I need good shirts with my sweaters, vests and jackets. But they're hard to find... And then I see the men's section where a whole wall is dedicated to shirts. Shirts in every imaginable colour and size! That makes me so jealous! :( (I've tried some on once, but they just don't fit right...)

My sis has a shoe problem. She really wants a pair of simple black heels, but because her feet are rather slim, she needs a pair with straps. You'd think something like that would be easy to find, but 95% of all pairs have some weird gimmick attached.

And me, I've wanted a pair of brown sneackers for some time now, but they've all got stupid sparkly shit and other girly stuff on them. I'd love to have a pair of brown Quick Typhoon SPs like these, but they simply don't make them in my size...
Dincrest
Spectrum
RPGFan Editor

Stumpy McGunder- thumps

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2013, 07:35:45 AM »

Depends on the store.  Express: Men, at least in the mall near me, has the more stylin' fashions and more vivid colors than the womens' side.  Image is important, and I feel like wearing vivid colors commands more attention.  Important with my day job (educator) and when playing with my band. 

My favorite clothing brand is easily Nautica.  Their clothes fit well and often have stylin' colors that work with me. 

Next bike-a-thon: Diabetes Tour-de-Cure 2015
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: