Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 11:30:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327149 Posts in 13391 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Idea Factory International
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Idea Factory International  (Read 1221 times)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2013, 02:31:10 AM »

So...it's a thing.

I guess this means the end of NISA/Aksys doing IF games?  I must say I'm a little surprised by this.  I didn't think IF games had enough presence internationally to justify their own localization branch.  Though I guess Neptunia is actually quite popular...

This also kind of puts NISA in a weird spot.  IF probably had their second-best selling titles after their own Disgaea series.  Plus they're no longer localizing for Gust after Tecmo Koei bought them, meaning they might actually be coming up short on games to localize.  Or maybe they'll make some new contracts.  I know I'd like to see more titles from Spike, Acquire, or even smaller studios like FuRyu (they did Unchained Blades and are currently working on Exstreta).

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:39:52 AM »

Maybe they can start localizing SMT and other Atlus titles when Sega inevitably axes Atlus USA and/or folds them into SoA. :v

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:45:06 AM »

Maybe they can start localizing SMT and other Atlus titles when Sega inevitably axes Atlus USA and/or folds them into SoA. :v

No, the localization business just collapses and we get nothing but Call of Duty and Madden Wars.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 06:19:18 AM »

This sounds very meh to me. I mean I love the Record of Agarest War series (for concept more than anything else, although I will call 2 a good game), but most of the rest of the stuff Idea Factory comes out with ranges from meh to crap imo. I mostly get their stuff to support NISA (who I love). If they drop NISA I really am not sure I will be bothering to get their stuff anymore beyond any currently unannounced Record of Agarest War stuff.

No, the localization business just collapses and we get nothing but Call of Duty and Madden Wars.
This would actually get me to learn Japanese and start importing.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 06:31:46 AM »

This sounds very meh to me. I mean I love the Record of Agarest War series (for concept more than anything else, although I will call 2 a good game), but most of the rest of the stuff Idea Factory comes out with ranges from meh to crap imo. I mostly get their stuff to support NISA (who I love). If they drop NISA I really am not sure I will be bothering to get their stuff anymore beyond any currently unannounced Record of Agarest War stuff.

I actually think Idea Factory have really improved recently. They always had interesting ideas but unlike similar developers like STING, executed them horribly.

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 09:59:12 AM »

Ew.  How.  Why?

Usually that "IF" tag is more of a warning flag when an upcoming game is announced.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 07:08:25 AM »

I actually think Idea Factory have really improved recently. They always had interesting ideas but unlike similar developers like STING, executed them horribly.
Really? Last Idea Factory game I played was Mugen Souls. Game was freaking horrible. Game before Hyperdimensional Neptunia Mk2 which was meh. One before that was Agarest War 2 which was actually good. My graph of the quality of their games looks like they are going down (although I admit I don't remember if that is actually playing them in release order). I suppose Victory looks alright, but I do not have high hopes for the company at this point.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 03:17:12 PM »

Really? Last Idea Factory game I played was Mugen Souls. Game was freaking horrible. Game before Hyperdimensional Neptunia Mk2 which was meh. One before that was Agarest War 2 which was actually good. My graph of the quality of their games looks like they are going down (although I admit I don't remember if that is actually playing them in release order). I suppose Victory looks alright, but I do not have high hopes for the company at this point.

I am not calling them a good developer. It just seems to me that they are moving away from being a bad developer into being a niche one. Most of the problems I have with them have less to do with their story and gameplay, and more to do with how they over complicate things like menus as well as the horribly horrible load times their old games had. Their games still have some of these issues but from what I have seen, nowhere near the extent of their old games.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 08:04:32 PM »

Don't forget Hakuoki.  That was Idea Factory and that game was not only a good Idea Factory game, but it was just a good game, period.  It and Agarest War 2 are the only Idea Factory games I would deem as good.  Even Mugen Souls, though I enjoyed it at E3, just has too many wonky and competing mechanics for its own good.  Otherwise, that game would have been good; I especially loved the music. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 09:22:33 PM »

Idea factory's VNs.

Remember, Idea Factory is primarily a maker of VNs.  The vast majority of which have not been localized.  They seem to have a decent reputation with regards to VNs, though, so Hakuoki isn't as much as an anomaly as you might think.

Most of the "Idea Factory" games we've gotten in the west have been RPGs made by their Compile Heart label.  And, well, I've said before what I think about Compile Heart...

If this venture meant more VNs will get localized then that's pretty cool.

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 09:40:25 PM »

True, but it's the only IF visual novel we've gotten localized outside of Japan, so in our geographical-cultural consciousness, that IS the anomaly. 

Regardless, yeah, if this US branch means more visual novels, I'm for that. 

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »

I'd rather have games instead. :(

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2013, 09:51:32 PM »

I'd rather have games instead. :(

While I understand those who enjoy VN's and would never give them shit for it. I gotta agree with that.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2013, 04:10:03 AM »

True, but it's the only IF visual novel we've gotten localized outside of Japan, so in our geographical-cultural consciousness, that IS the anomaly.

Sweet Fuse?

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2013, 04:22:06 PM »

Blargh!  You're right.  That's still only two, though.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: