Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 22, 2014, 10:07:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Congratulations to Andrew Barker! RPGfan Editor of the Year and now Chief News Editor!
341346 Posts in 13950 Topics by 2222 Members
Latest Member: XanTehMan
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Dark Souls 2
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Print
Author Topic: Dark Souls 2  (Read 29045 times)
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #285 on: November 06, 2014, 07:16:01 AM »

Now you know my pain, DPB.

I did eventually manage to kill Fume Knight (albeit with help from another player), but it took a ridiculous number of attempts, and many embarrassing co-op deaths.

The difficulty of the Ivory King DLC was far more reasonable, I even managed to kill the first boss on my first try. That said, I didn't bother completing the optional area there since it was such a chore to get through.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 06, 2014, 08:18:16 AM »

I just reviewed Lords of the Fallen for the site. 

Long story short, it's not very good.  Cool ideas but some serious balancing problems and the whole thing is mighty glitchy. 
bigdeath

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #287 on: November 06, 2014, 11:28:18 AM »

I just reviewed Lords of the Fallen for the site. 

Long story short, it's not very good.  Cool ideas but some serious balancing problems and the whole thing is mighty glitchy. 

Ah, ok. Just found your review. Thats a shame. Why do companies ruin their games with buggy releases? Disappointing. Looks like we got to wait and see how Bloodborne turns out.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #288 on: November 06, 2014, 04:12:45 PM »

I think the main game on NG is pretty easy (with a few exceptionally hard bosses).  NG+ is a whole different beast, however, and the DLC is murderously hard to the point of insanity.

Murderously hard or insanity are not a words I would use for any Souls game so far. I associate Souls more with discipline and perseverance.

There's also what I've said in the previous page, but I'm not gonna repeat myself.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 06, 2014, 04:42:19 PM »

^Going to have to slightly disagree on the above when it comes to DSII's DLC.  Some of those encounters are just annoying and lack some of the grace and elegance of the other two games.  I didn't find the murder pit in DLC2 to be all that great.  Just had to cheese the enemies to beat them by shooting arrows from above.  Also, the dudes who spit lava out of their shoulders were push overs using the same technique.  It just feels like some of those things weren't thought through during development.  That just my opinion, though, and I seem to be in the minority of fans who liked the main game of DSII but hated the DLC. 
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #290 on: November 06, 2014, 05:07:44 PM »

I don't know man. I think you are being a bit too stubborn with your hate.

Just saying. Don't take it to heart.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 02:40:48 PM by Yggdrasil » Logged
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #291 on: November 25, 2014, 01:11:08 AM »

http://www.polygon.com/2014/11/25/7278217/dark-souls-2-ps4-xbox-one-release-date

I'll get it if it has cross save.
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2014, 02:34:10 AM »

Relevant Footnotes (from NeoGAF / Source: 4Gamer):

- Last-gen and new-gen versions use different game servers.
- Last-gen and new-gen versions are not compatible for online matchmaking (PS3 to PS4 matchmaking is not supported).
- You cannot transfer save data from last-gen to new-gen.
- You cannot upgrade the Windows (DirectX9) version to the Windows (DirectX11) version.

In the press release they also specify very clearly that "last-gen" refers specifically to the PS3, 360, and DX9 versions, while "new-gen" refers to the PS4, XBO, and DX11 versions. No confusion.

---

This is mostly cool for new players. But, I guess I'll go for the update after seeing some impressions from players.
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2014, 04:55:25 AM »

I'm actually a bit surprised.  I wasn't expecting a port.

Too bad about the lack of save transfer and separate servers, though.
DPB

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2014, 08:18:46 AM »

Not being able to upgrade the PC version is pretty stupid, it'll result in a very fragmented player base.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2014, 09:17:29 AM »

Knew it was going to get a release on newer consoles which is why I waited.  I'll pick it up after Bloodborne.  Hopefully, the lighting engine that they showcased before release makes it back in.
PaleRobbie
Podcast Host
RPGFan Editor

View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2014, 10:00:50 AM »

Hmmm, I think it might be really hard to go back to DS after Bloodborne.  This isn't even cannibalization since two different publishers are handling it, but Bandai Namco is kinda getting the shaft there.  Maybe they're hoping Bloodborne's release might push DSII sales?  In any even, I'm interested in the rebalancing of the main game.  I really like DSII, and maybe they can cut down on the more monotonous parts and even out the large enemy mobs and lack of variety. 
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: