Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 21, 2014, 12:15:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Subject: Persona 3: FES
Prize: $20 eShop, PSN or Steam code
Date: 3rd October 2014 Time: 16:00 EST
331779 Posts in 13583 Topics by 2191 Members
Latest Member: Zaltys
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Cosmic Star Heroine - a Zeboyd Games joint
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Cosmic Star Heroine - a Zeboyd Games joint  (Read 1863 times)
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« on: October 01, 2013, 01:20:45 PM »

Robert Boyd and Bill Stiernberg are up to their old tricks again.  Here's the KickStarter page for their new game, Cosmic Star Heroine.  It's a science-fiction RPG with a spy theme that draws inspiration from Chrono Trigger, Phantasy Star IV, and Lunar 2 from a team with four successful indie RPGs under its belt.  Check out the video on the KS page for more details!  Coming out in late 2014 for PC, Mac, PS4, and Vita. 

ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2013, 02:13:25 PM »

I've had my eye on this one for a while. I love the Spy headquarters that can been upgraded over time a la Sukoden...

Backed this one the second it went live! Can't wait...
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 02:18:17 PM »

Hm, I'll admit i'm slightly more intrigued than by any of his earlier ventures.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
ultra7k

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2013, 02:27:48 PM »

I can't say I've played any of their other games since they never interested me, but this seems like it could be a winner.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2013, 03:36:09 PM »

I'll throw some their way.

Also, when you watch the teaser trailer...
Code:
...watch it again looking at what Robert Boyd is holding throughout the video.

I threw that in a spoiler in case you wanted to find the detail yourself.

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2013, 04:32:04 PM »

Seeing how they're over a quarter funded in just a few hours I think they need to start listing some stretch goals...

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 05:01:07 PM »

It's worth noting that Boyd is 100% against stretch goals: Check the quoted text in this article.  If/when the KickStarter is successfully funded they'll explain where extra money goes, but they don't want to make early promises. 

And if you guys haven't played any Zeboyd games before, their RPGs are awfully inexpensive on Steam

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 07:41:48 PM »

I've never really liked their games. Balance is a fine art, and all their games become SUPER repetitive towards the end, with very little (if any) variation in tactics necessary for battles.

I like the art design in this one, and I'm a mega sucker for sci-fi, but I'm also A) sick of the nostalgia gaming trend and B) skeptical of them listing basically every well-beloved 16/32-bit JRPG as an inspiration.

Still, I wish them well. Boyd is, if nothing else, very open with his fans, and I respect that. If this turns out a little more inspired than their last few games, I'll probably check it out. If nothing else, Imma be buyin' that HyperDuck OST :)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 07:44:01 PM by Taelus » Logged

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »

I've never really liked their games. Balance is a fine art, and all their games become SUPER repetitive towards the end, with very little (if any) variation in tactics necessary for battles.

I like the art design in this one, and I'm a mega sucker for sci-fi, but I'm also A) sick of the nostalgia gaming trend and B) skeptical of them listing basically every well-beloved 16/32-bit JRPG as an inspiration.

Still, I wish them well. Boyd is, if nothing else, very open with his fans, and I respect that. If this turns out a little more inspired than their last few games, I'll probably check it out. If nothing else, Imma be buyin' that HyperDuck OST :)

I threw $20 their way to get a download of the soundtrack. If the game turns out to be a lot more pleasant than anticipated, then I get a game out of it too. ;)

Edit: Because I know how to spell "threw".
« Last Edit: October 01, 2013, 09:23:18 PM by Wild Armor » Logged

Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2013, 07:56:39 PM »

YOU READ MY MIND

Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2013, 08:09:52 PM »

YOU READ MY MIND

;)

I generally approach the kickstarters of game with the intention of buying the soundtrack and getting anything else as pleasant extra. I just hope that they keep their word when making the product. >>

Ramza
Enjoying Retirement
Editor Emeritus

TSDPatGann
View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2013, 09:06:40 PM »

skeptical of them listing basically every well-beloved 16/32-bit JRPG as an inspiration.

They listed three. And I think they're right to. I mean, they *didn't* list Star Ocean, and they're right not to, because they're not doing action-based combat, and despite the relatively large ensemble of characters, they probably aren't building 80+ "vignette" mini-ending scenes for those characters paired up.

Nor did they list Dragon Quest or Final Fantasy.

As far as I'm concerned, their early IPs (BoD and Cthulhu) were them getting their feet wet. I agree with you that the games were a little TOO repetitive: the second half of Cthulhu was a bit of a drag. I haven't played the two PAA games, but I think there they were at least somewhat hampered by having to follow along with Penny Arcade's ... whatever it is.

This game looks like the real deal. I think this is the kind of game they were born to make. If they can spice up combat, and keep them hawt Sega-CD-ish animations comin' my way, I have no reason not to deeply want this game. I think it's going to be rock solid.

In any case though ... yeah, $20 committed. Soundtrack is insta-win. Hope game will be too. :P

cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2013, 09:30:13 PM »

I've known Robert for a while, and Soul Hackers is one of his favorite RPGs ever.

That should give you enough faith in their works.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2013, 09:45:14 PM »

I'm glad you guys have confidence. Pat, I appreciate your argument, but I disagree that it seems like "the real deal." It seems like the same deal as before, only with a Sega CD-inspired presentation.

I respect that you're excited, but they've been throwing around names on Twitter for weeks, in addition to the ones listed. I'm really happy for you all, and again, I hope they have tons of success and will even play the game if it's great, but it changes nothing about my skepticism.

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2013, 09:51:39 PM »

I've never done the kickstarter thing and never will. Paying for a game before it comes out boggles my mind. Once it comes out, and reviews have confirmed it as being great(not good, GREAT) then I might consider purchasing the game.
No Zeboyd game has piqued my interest until now. But like Mr. taelus, I 'm also kind of tired of the "old games are new again" trend. Sure, the game looks kind of fun, and I'm always interested in any new sci-fi rpg, but I wonder how great this could be with PS3 caliber graphics and more modern gameplay.
Did they show any of the combat? because I swear none was shown. I've pretty much lost all interest in turn-based fighting, so it would have to be pretty special to work for me.
I've liked a couple Hyperduck soundtracks, so that interests me , but I would just purchase it from bandcamp or whoever they go through.

Playing: TWD Season 2
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: