Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 01, 2014, 03:49:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
330049 Posts in 13524 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nintendo DS recommendations?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Nintendo DS recommendations?  (Read 4729 times)
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2006, 09:00:41 AM »

I plan on picking up a Nintendo DS sometime next week. The DS Lite. Anyway, I've not kept up on the games released for the DS, so I have no idea what RPG's are out for it aside form a few. I've heard of Magical Starsign, which I heard wasn't very good. Also Mario And Luigi: Partners In Crime. I'm actually thinking of getting this no matter what, because I've always liked the Mario RPG's. And of course there's Final Fantasy III, which I actually am buying the system for. But other recommendations would be helpful.

I also have a few other questions. Does the DS Lite come with an AC adapter? Some have told me it does, but then I see the AC adapters are sold seperately.

And does anyone recommend the DS screen protectors? I hate scratches on my screens... does the stylus scratch the screen at all? I see Nintendo doesn't make official/licensed screen protectors for some reason, and I've heard some of the third part screen protectors leave a gummy/sticky substance on your screen. I'm just trying to decide whether to get these or just use the stylus directly on the screen.

And a bit about myself, for those that care since I'm new here and don't see anywhere to introduce myself in an official thread. I'm 35, a male, live in Northern michigan, and have been into games since the... Atari 2600 and Odyseey3 days. Yeah, I'm old. My fave system ever is the SNES. The amount of RPG's and action/adventure RPG's for that system just can't be beat. Some of my fave games are Zelda: A Link To The Past (SNES), Soulblazer (SNES), Earthbound (SNES), Sword Of Vermillion (Genesis). Valkyrie Profile (PS1), Skies Of Arcadia (Dreamcast), Tales Of Symphonia (GameCube), ICO (Ps2), and lately I've been enjoying Enchanted Arms for the 360 and Summon Night (GBA).

Speaking of Earthbound and the DS, whatever happened to the Earthbound remake, or maybe it was going to be a new Earthbound, for the DS?
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 10:07:16 AM »

The DS Lite comes with an AC adapter.

Magical Starsign is actually a fun little game. It is quirky and fun, but isn't anything revolutionary. Children of Mana just came out, and is an awesome game. Mario and Luigi is pretty cool, but I didn't enjoy it as much as others.

The system is definately worth a pick up.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2006, 10:18:55 AM »

I was seriously thinking about getting Children Of Mana, but... I've read numerous places that it's basically just a dungeon crawler and has very little in terms of s storyline?
Daggerstrike
Rainbow Club Member

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2006, 10:29:51 AM »

Yeah, it isn't very story heavy, but it is really fun. It is basically an appetizer for the PS2 game coming out.

All right, we are going to use a fan brush here and uh why don't you take some hunter green and we are going to put a happy little bush right down over here in the corner there and that'll just be our little secret and if you tell anyone that that bush is there I will come to your house and I will cut you.
Metalhed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2006, 10:50:47 AM »

I just recently got a DS myself (Onyx DS Lite). I am looking forward to Children of Mana and Final Fantasy III. I have been playing a lot of GBA games on mine (Final Fantasy I & II is in right now). There are some very good GBA RPG's worth playing:

Final Fantasy I & II, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy V (due out soon), Phantasy Star Collection (I, II and III), Zedla: Link to the Past, Zedla: Minish Cap

... to name a few. If you like strategy games, Age of Empires for the DS is fun to play (I have spent a short amount of time with it). I also have the new Mage Knight game for the DS but have not yet tried it. Meteos is tons of fun for the DS. I hear that Dragon Quest Rocket Slime is also a lot of fun for the DS.

I hope those help a little...

BTW: Your not that old - I'm one month short of 39 and I still remember the original Pong systems with the round paddles and Space Invaders on the Atrari 2600...
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006, 11:26:07 AM »

Quote from: "Metalhed"
I just recently got a DS myself (Onyx DS Lite). I am looking forward to Children of Mana and Final Fantasy III. I have been playing a lot of GBA games on mine (Final Fantasy I & II is in right now). There are some very good GBA RPG's worth playing:

Final Fantasy I & II, Final Fantasy VI, Final Fantasy V (due out soon), Phantasy Star Collection (I, II and III), Zedla: Link to the Past, Zedla: Minish Cap

... to name a few. If you like strategy games, Age of Empires for the DS is fun to play (I have spent a short amount of time with it). I also have the new Mage Knight game for the DS but have not yet tried it. Meteos is tons of fun for the DS. I hear that Dragon Quest Rocket Slime is also a lot of fun for the DS.

I hope those help a little...

BTW: Your not that old - I'm one month short of 39 and I still remember the original Pong systems with the round paddles and Space Invaders on the Atrari 2600...

Oh yeah, the GBA had a ton of great RPG's, and I do already have a GBA. I have FF 1 and 2 Dawn of Souls as well as Summon Night that I've been enjoying recently. Another great thing about getting a DS is I'll be able to play my GBA games and actually see the game without playing it directly under a lightbulb! I never knew Phantasy Star came out for the GBA. 1 2 and 3 all on one cart? Sounds like a bargain to me. I'll have to get that.
Logick

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2006, 01:27:35 PM »

Wells here's my list of recommend games for the DS:

Feel the Magic XX/YY (more of a tech demo)
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Cart
Castlevania
Contact(quirky and fun RPG)
Lost in Blue
Trauma Center
Osu Tatakae Ouedan(worth the import, playable w/o japanese)
Pheonix Wright(you can import it is also, has english option)

"If you're not careful, the newspapers will have you hating the people who are being oppressed, and loving the people who are doing the oppressing."
~Malcolm X
Morridor

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2006, 01:54:59 PM »

Quote from: "Logick"

New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart
Castlevania
Contact
Lost in Blue
Trauma Center
Pheonix Wright

These are all good games.  I'll add some to the list:

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime
Touch Detective
Trace Memory
Magical Starsign

Those three games are really good.  I really love Touch Detective and if you can, get Magical Starsign.  It's really an enjoyable game!

Danny

Yeah, this signature was way too spammy.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006, 02:03:46 PM »

While it's not an RPG, I highly recommend Advance Wars DS. I've already put in 98 hours into this game without even realizing it. The only RPG I've put that amount of time into was FFVII, but the timer stops at 99:57:57, so I actually put more time into that one.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2006, 02:06:59 PM »

Cool, thanks guys. Do any of you guys use the screen protectors I talked about above? Do you have any thoughts on them? Does the bottom screen get scrathed all up from the stylus if you don't use those protectors?
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2006, 02:20:56 PM »

Quote from: "Britton"
Cool, thanks guys. Do any of you guys use the screen protectors I talked about above? Do you have any thoughts on them? Does the bottom screen get scrathed all up from the stylus if you don't use those protectors?

The Hori brand screen protectors are the best you can use. I've boughten them a few times, but haven't been able to get them on properly without dust getting stuck underneath, or something else stupid happening.

I just bought a case for my DS. I've gotten a couple scratches on the screen, but none that effect my gaming experience. They're only noticeable from certain angles. If you hate knowing that there's scratches at all on it, then buy the screen protectors.

"Oh, a hunter..."
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006, 02:29:15 PM »

Quote from: "Fadedsun"

The Hori brand screen protectors are the best you can use. I've boughten them a few times, but haven't been able to get them on properly without dust getting stuck underneath, or something else stupid happening.

I just bought a case for my DS. I've gotten a couple scratches on the screen, but none that effect my gaming experience. They're only noticeable from certain angles. If you hate knowing that there's scratches at all on it, then buy the screen protectors.

Thanks. Yeah, I hate knowing there's scratches on the screen. I have one little hairline scratch on my screen and it bugs me every time I see it. Do those Hori protectors come off without leaving a film on the screen? I wonder why Nintendo doesn't have licensed ones?
Marona

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2006, 03:57:46 AM »

Screen protectors are definatly worth it. If you cant find the hori ones, I have the Pelican write and protect pack, you can buy this in almost any store that carries games and game equipment including wal mart. Comes with 2 top screen protectors and 1 bottom screen, 2 stylii and a cleaning cloth, got both on just fine and havnt had any problems.

As for games, I would recommend dawn of sorrow, phoenix wright and magical starsign for a fun rpg expirience.
Dade
Rainbow Club Member

D-Rider's Pacific NW Counterpart

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006, 09:02:20 AM »

When it comes to screen protectors.....Nintendo HIGHLY suggests the Hori ones (their only licensed ones). When I get a chance I'll drop a list of ones to AVOID like the plague (because of actual damage they can cause or residue they WILL leave behind.)

Oh and when it comes to Pelican....they're crap through and through.

Twitter: (at)toddjaynes
XBL: ToddJameson
PSN: toddjameson
Steam: DadeMcLaren

Playing: ACIV: Black Flag (surprisingly awesome!), XCOM: Enemy Within, The Last of Us (finally).
"Resident Evil 6 is a Michael Bay movie." ~Jim Sterling
Akanbe-

Cheap? I paid a lot for this hat!

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006, 12:23:11 PM »

And does anyone recommend the DS screen protectors? I hate scratches on my screens... does the stylus scratch the screen at all? I see Nintendo doesn't make official/licensed screen protectors for some reason, and I've heard some of the third part screen protectors leave a gummy/sticky substance on your screen. I'm just trying to decide whether to get these or just use the stylus directly on the screen.

Search for Hori screen protectors.  Those are the best ones when applied correctly and shouldn't leave a substance on your screen.  They may only be available through import.  Supposedly if you want to avoid getting dust in between the screen you need to let your shower run on hot for awhile so all the steam brings the dust to the ground, then apply it.  I never got one because I don't have a steady hand and I'm sure mine would be crooked or have air bubbles.

As for games, I only have two at the moment:  Kirby's Canvas Curse and Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow.  Both really fun games depending on what type of game you're looking for.  Can't go wrong with Kirby no matter what though imo.  I don't much about the rpgs on here besides the mario one(s), but FF3 should be pretty good.  I know I'm looking forward to it.

Quote from: "Logick"
Osu Tatakae Ouedan(worth the import, playable w/o japanese)

Is this the same game but in english?  http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product%5Fid=180220
http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-13-71-ba-49-en-15-ossu%2BTatakae%2Bouendan%2527-70-1iwn.html

"Karma is...secret top tier"~Starmongoose
PSN ID: Akanbe9
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: