Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 22, 2014, 03:45:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327157 Posts in 13392 Topics by 2163 Members
Latest Member: KashelGladio
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Nintendo DS recommendations?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Nintendo DS recommendations?  (Read 4605 times)
Robert Boyd

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006, 05:56:33 AM »

No, that's not the same game in English; it's actually a sequel in English.  Same basic gameplay, but all new levels and music.  The visuals look a notch better than the first one from what I've seen and there are more levels (I've heard anywhere from 18-20 levels compared to 15 levels in the original).

I haven't bothered with screen protectors and though my screen has gotten somewhat scratched from Ouendan, it's not really noticeably when you're actually playing a game.

I've played several games for the DS, most of which are fun, but few of which I would actually buy if I didn't already own them.  However, these are the ones I'd thoroughly recommend:

Osu Tatakae Ouendan (hilarious rhythm game, very playable even though it's in Japanese - my favorite game on the DS)

Elite Beat Agents (sequel to Ouendan but this time in English.  Looks even better than the first game judging from the gameplay videos I've seen)

Kirby: Canvas Curse (unusual platformer that revolves around drawing stuff with the stylus.  Great fun in small doses)

Phoenix Wright 1&2 (very fun graphic adventure games revolving around a defense lawyer and his various murder trials. You can get any version of these since the Japanese version have an English text mode and the DS system doesn't have region locks)

Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow (not substantially better than the GBA Castlevanias, but those were awesome Action/RPGs to begin with)

New Super Mario Bros. (Not as good as the hype and buzz led me to believe it would be, but still a fun game.  A bit short though)

ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006, 03:19:04 PM »

I can't think of any that haven't already been mentioned for DS. But as for gba games, there's the Golden Sun games, Fire Emblems 7 and 8, and Tales of Phantasia. I'd recommend all of the above, though if you hate games where you run into pathetically easy random battles every 10 seconds, Golden Sun is not your game. Seeing as you liked Tales of Symphonia, you'd like Phantasia as it is more of the same and it's set about 4000 years after the events of Symphonia. Fire Emblem is similar to Advance Wars, but is bareable to those of us who hate strategy games as it's more of an rpg.
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2006, 07:42:35 PM »

Thanks for all of the recommendations, guys. I got my DS tonight (Black Onyx), and decided to get Magical Starshine. I read a lot on the game and while it got consistantly low scores, the only gripe everyone had was that it was an old school RPG. And being a big fan of the old school RPG's, I'll probably love it. Haven't played it yet as I'm charging the battery up in it. I played a bit of Nintendogs (Lab edition-before I knew I was supposed to charge the battery up first), and found it to be strangely addictive.

Now I only have a bit over a week to wait before FF III comes out.

P.S. After talking to a BUNCH of people on 3 different gaming boards about the screen protectors, I decided against getting one. The general consensus was that if I was careful, I didn't need one. As long as it stays fairly scratch free until they drop in price to 99 bucks and I can easily get another one, It's cool.
John
Administrator

DeceptiJohn
View Profile WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2006, 08:24:50 PM »

Britton: The screen on the DS lite is pretty resilient, and the way that the hinge and positioning of the screen work, you essentially have to leave something on the screen to scratch it when it's closed.  Just be sure to only use the Nintendo/Hori styluses; some of the other ones have harder tips that may scratch the screen.

THROW PICKLE IN BURGER TO SPEED UP COMMERCIAL
Metalhed

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2006, 10:07:50 AM »

While on the topic of the DS, has anyone here had issues with the D-Pad on the DS Lites? Mine makes a clicking noise when changing directions and it is also very hard to get diagonal movement on it (I have to press extra hard to get diagonal movement). On IGN, I have seen articles regarding issues with these D-Pads. I am not sure if it will actually break itself in or if I should return the unti for a new one (I have a black Onyx one that is less than 30 days old).

http://ds.ign.com/articles/721/721201p1.html

Anyone else have this problem?
Britton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2006, 11:24:28 AM »

I had trouble with my d pad allowing my character to walk diagonally on Magical Starsign. Doesn't matter much in this game though. No clicking noise, but my DS is brand new.
ZE GRAND MASTER

Don't Make Me "Self-Defense" You

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 12:21:31 PM »

Mine's like that, too. The first time I found out about it was when I couldn't get past a mud waterfall in the last dungeon of Golden Sun - I had to play the game on my SP after that. Really is quite annoying.
Fadedsun

Sunny Summoner

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2006, 02:56:22 PM »

That's weird. Never had any problems with the D-pad on my DS lite. No clicking sound or anything.

Did anyone pick up Children of Mana?

"Oh, a hunter..."
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: