Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 21, 2014, 03:33:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334515 Posts in 13704 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Rune Factory 4
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Rune Factory 4  (Read 1739 times)
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 07, 2013, 10:45:50 PM »

I've been playing this and really loving it. 3 was one of my favorite ds games. Gameplay's pretty much the same as 3, but it's addressed the problems I had with 3. Which mostly amount to better pacing, both on the rpg side and the harvest moon side. You don't get rich quick, which I always hate in RF/HM games. It kind of makes running a farm pointless if you're rich after a month. On the rpg side there's just more content. The rpg side of 3 was incredibly short. Since I haven't beat it yet I don't know how much larger 4 is, but there's clearly more than 3.

On the downside the townspeople aren't quite as good as 3, but it's a overall improvement to a great game.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2013, 12:09:46 AM »

Well, since this thread exists...

What y'all name your farm and character? I kept going with the tradition of naming my farm J. Frank (Jason Frank) and kept my character's name as is (Lest).

I'm one day shy of the Fishing tournament--one of my favorite festivals--and nailed the bean-tossing festival. Because I'm purposely not going to use gamefaqs for this run, I have a notebook next to me while playing and writing down everyone's likes/dislikes and costs of everything into a small chart. I know a walkthrough exists for this game, but I'd like to take a pen-paper approach to this game.

With that said...

I've tossed pickled turnips at all the villagers. Sorry Vishnal! I'll toss a tomato at Jones so you don't feel you've gotten the rotten side of things! ;)

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »

This is my first Rune Factory game and it's exceeding my expectations.  Very fun with lots of stuff to do.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2013, 07:51:43 PM »

All this talk is making me regret not being able to do the review for this. ;-;

I might pick it up later, if the good news keeps coming.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Wild Armor
Observer

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2013, 08:06:44 PM »

All this talk is making me regret not being able to do the review for this. ;-;

I might pick it up later, if the good news keeps coming.

Pick it up!

Getting a kick out of breaking the records for fishing (smallest and largest size), simply because of the crazed excitement an invisible audience cheers you on at--it's like I scored the winning goal of a soccer match. Put your headphones on and bask in that adulation!

Also, I like that you can ride on woolies (pl. woolys?) in this game (could you do that in 3? I forget).

Avatar Author's sig: Let me know if you know this author. :)
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2013, 11:45:10 PM »

Also, I like that you can ride on woolies (pl. woolys?) in this game (could you do that in 3? I forget).

dude the first time I did that I thought it is the best thing ever.  it still is
ChronoPower
Chimerautomaton

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2014, 01:11:24 PM »

I remember playing and liking Rune Factory 2, and I really want to get this. It looks better all around.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
*Insert favorite Movie/Video Game quote here*
*Insert Batman quote here*
AuraChannelerChris
The RPG Adventurer

Ultimate RPG Gamer

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 08:41:38 PM »

If you're an European and wishes to get this game, well...

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/01/20/rune-factory-4-european-release-cancelled/

"(Huh. He's been quiet for a while. I wonder what's he thinking?)" ~Made by yours truly~
Youtube Channel - Current Walkthrough: The Wonderful 101
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 08:47:46 PM »

WARNING ! COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED RUMOUR :

I've heard that apparently they've lost stuff when the company folded and they literally cannot make a finished product.

/END
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 09:15:55 PM by Annubis » Logged
Eusis
Administrator

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 08:54:39 PM »

WARNING ! COMPLETELY UNFOUNDED RUMOUR !

Huh? There's a very clear statement that it's canceled in the original Eurogamer story and at best "not at this time" means that they may revisit it in the future. I'd bring up just hacking the game, but I actually wonder if the anti piracy methods make that impractical even when fully authorized? Though I guess "because Neverland closed" can be considered a rumor, but that seems to only be treated as speculation thus far, and probable speculation honestly.

At any rate crappy news for Europeans. :/
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 09:15:18 PM »

Whoops, I mean the line of text I wrote under the warning.
I guess that wasn't very clear.

There edited it to make it clearer.
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 10:07:08 PM »

Holy crap Boss 3 has some of the worst coding I've ever seen in a modern RPG. Did they not play test this? At all?

-As soon as the boss goes red the following things happen:

1. It gains an attack which randomly generates 5-6 objects at the edge of the room and flings them inwards. However you can't stand in the center because the boss likes to RNG into its spin or grab attacks while the objects are still in the throwing animation. If you get hit by it you're screwed. Your only option are areas not immediately against the wall but not near the center. However the game likes to spawn these exactly on top of you quite often. Not only that but the camera sucks balls and actively kills you with this attack. You can run into these objects more often than not because the camera refuses to pan upwards or downwards faster than your character moves.

2. Also while in red-mode the boss's time between attacks shortens. Normally this is where you just poke-run-poke-run instead of poke-poke-run-poke-poke. However the RNG system governing the time between attacks is literally broken; because sometimes the boss randomly transitions into additional attacks with zero down time.

3. The collision detection on the objects in this room is damaged. The character can and will get stuck on things they have no business getting stuck on. This effects the boss too and it's not a good thing since it screws with his RNG enough that you can't even poke it during the black-beam vulnerability.

Because of 2 you can't poke him with melee outside of one single attack. If you do the RNG is going to trigger and kill you.
Because of 1 you can't let the fight go on for very long because you cannot dodge the attacks when the over-spawn RNG triggers and kills you.
If 3 happens you might as well insta-reset.

I'm Level 23 in a Level 18 dungeon and the damage is still insane that this boss throws out. So really there's only 3 options.

1. Quit my file. Start over in easy mode.
2. Grind levels, lots of levels, basically be far, far over what you're 'supposed' to be for this dungeon.
3. Bring about 10+ full-heal items and spam ranged magic.

...spent about an hour+ at this. Boss is still alive. Holy crap this is about the worst 'Things that make you want to sell the game' walls I've run into in a long time. ~_~; Dark Souls had easier bosses than this. And this is only the first year of Spring too...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 10:09:52 PM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
(Tunnels)
Professional Thinger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 10:21:50 PM »

Holy crap Boss 3 has some of the worst coding I've ever seen in a modern RPG. Did they not play test this? At all?

-As soon as the boss goes red the following things happen:

1. It gains an attack which randomly generates 5-6 objects at the edge of the room and flings them inwards. However you can't stand in the center because the boss likes to RNG into its spin or grab attacks while the objects are still in the throwing animation. If you get hit by it you're screwed. Your only option are areas not immediately against the wall but not near the center. However the game likes to spawn these exactly on top of you quite often. Not only that but the camera sucks balls and actively kills you with this attack. You can run into these objects more often than not because the camera refuses to pan upwards or downwards faster than your character moves.

2. Also while in red-mode the boss's time between attacks shortens. Normally this is where you just poke-run-poke-run instead of poke-poke-run-poke-poke. However the RNG system governing the time between attacks is literally broken; because sometimes the boss randomly transitions into additional attacks with zero down time.

3. The collision detection on the objects in this room is damaged. The character can and will get stuck on things they have no business getting stuck on. This effects the boss too and it's not a good thing since it screws with his RNG enough that you can't even poke it during the black-beam vulnerability.

Because of 2 you can't poke him with melee outside of one single attack. If you do the RNG is going to trigger and kill you.
Because of 1 you can't let the fight go on for very long because you cannot dodge the attacks when the over-spawn RNG triggers and kills you.
If 3 happens you might as well insta-reset.

I'm Level 23 in a Level 18 dungeon and the damage is still insane that this boss throws out. So really there's only 3 options.

2. Grind levels, lots of levels, basically be far, far over what you're 'supposed' to be for this dungeon.
3. Bring about 10+ full-heal items and spam ranged magic.

...spent about an hour+ at this. Boss is still alive. Holy crap this is about the worst 'Things that make you want to sell the game' walls I've run into in a long time. ~_~; Dark Souls had easier bosses than this. And this is only the first year of Spring too...

Basically #3 is what I did. I spammed the flame spell from a distance. I don't remember what level I was, but I think it was 30-40ish. How's your equipment? And if you want some easy grinding, go back to the water temple and find a water portal that spits out the fish and turtle enemies and just kill them with the flame spell. It'll help grind your fire skill.

If it helps
Code:
Unlike the 2 bosses before it, there is no 3rd mode or form. Red mode is the last form
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 10:26:34 PM »

Well, quite interestingly I think I figured out what happened. My game was literally glitched and it was effecting the boss's RNG mechanics.

When I just turned my 3DS back on to try and and loaded the file it temporarily bricked. Glitchy screen, ect. I had to hard-cut the power to unlock it. Tried again and this time no glitches. Fought the boss and all those RNG issues didn't happen. o.O; Weird...
Raze

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2014, 03:05:04 PM »

Since you mentioned this if you have trouble again, or if you find yourself too strong, you can change difficulty in the castle trophy room. Focusing on the town stuff is also a way to grind without grinding, or it's a different kind of grind anyway. Pretty much everything you do gives you skill ups. I end up playing these games on hard just because the harvest moon stuff ends up making me overpowered so just think of the difficulty setting less as a difficulty setting and more a way to make the game match your pace.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: