Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 24, 2014, 07:37:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334756 Posts in 13709 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  So does anyone think the Vita will get better?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: So does anyone think the Vita will get better?  (Read 2658 times)
eXaX

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2013, 06:47:44 PM »

Personally, I think the Vita is a brilliant system and with plenty of games (due in large due to Psn but still).
In addition, the feeling of the system (that is, the sleek design + the beautiful screen) is great. It just feels better in comparison to the 3DS imo.
Lastly, MGS HD + P4G + Virtues Last Reward + all dem Rpgs + Indies. Can't beat it

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2013, 07:11:18 PM »

I wish I had Vita.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 08:16:53 PM »

Contemplating getting a slim Vita here, but the memory card prices keep putting me off.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2013, 11:41:42 PM »

Uh, the Vita is already getting better.  Did you miss the about...10 RPGs and VNs that are getting released in the west within the next 6 months?
Sort of. Don't really care for Visual Novels, and the RPG's that I've heard about don't interest me that much. Except for Ys and Demon Gaze (thanks Kevadu for mentioning the latter, never heard of it!). If you've heard of anything else I would be happy to hear about them. I'm not too good at finding this kind of stuff out to be honest.

Quote from: Dice
It's fair to say a lot is coming up for it, but if none appeal, then what's the difference in when asking if it'll "get better"?

I worded that wrong, my bad. I mostly wanted to see others opinions on the matter, and sort of see if any new games were coming out that I might care about. So far I found one, so that's good.

I'm keeping my Vita, if anyone cares. I realize that there's always gonna be that guarantee that's it's gonna have at least 10 "must-play" games on it, in the span of it's lifetime.
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2013, 11:50:46 PM »

I'm keeping my Vita, if anyone cares. I realize that there's always gonna be that guarantee that's it's gonna have at least 10 "must-play" games on it, in the span of it's lifetime.

See, I thought that too for the Wii, but I only own seven games and bought it on launch! Haha.

I don't have a lot of information for you on the Vita, since I don't have one, but I'd say hang onto it. The PSP was a slow-starter too, and there's a ton of great RPGs for it now.

siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2013, 12:03:02 AM »

See, I thought that too for the Wii, but I only own seven games and bought it on launch! Haha.

I don't have a lot of information for you on the Vita, since I don't have one, but I'd say hang onto it. The PSP was a slow-starter too, and there's a ton of great RPGs for it now.

Ha, jokes on you, I bought the Wii on launch and only own 4 games! Ha-ha. ...I paid like 200 bucks for a Smash Bros. and Fire Emblem machine.
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2013, 12:12:41 AM »

I was given one for Christmas last year and I still haven't played it. Not because it's a bad gift, but there hasn't been anything substantial that has come out that I NEEDED to play....until Ys Memories of Celceta got announced. Now I'm waiting for that game because I probably would have bought it FOR that game. :)

pigTails of...
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2013, 01:34:03 AM »

Not sure why people get so miffed over the memory card prices. A good 8GB is like all of what...$20? Less used? (Roughly the same price as a good PS2 stick back in the early days.) I have two of those right now in a handy little protection case.

Card 1:
Disgaea 3 Data
P4G Data
VLR Data
Sweet Fuse
Corpse Party
The 3rd Birthday
Wild Arms XF
Dracula X
P3P
Chrono Cross

Card 2:
Atelier Meruru
Atelier Totori

Remaining Data Between the Two Cards: Approx 4GB. (1.4 GB on Card 1, a bit over 2GB on Card 2).

You have to work pretty hard to fill the basic memory cards.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 01:38:27 AM by ZeronHitaro » Logged
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2013, 02:14:21 AM »

You have to work pretty hard to fill the basic memory cards.

Not if you buy games digitally, you don't.  There are single games in the 4GB range...

If you're buying all your games on cards and only using the memory card for save data then sure, it's not really a big deal.  But those memory cards fill up very fast if you make a lot of digital purchases and/or have PS+.  I have two 16 GB cards (well, one is for my JP account...) and I'm constantly having to juggle data and make room for things on the card.  It's a serious pain in the ass.  I want a bigger card but the prices are pretty ridiculous...I also don't see much point in only going to 32 GB.  Maybe I'll get a 64 GB card if they ever release it over here at a less absurd price point...

deathsaber

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2013, 01:06:50 PM »

I actually think the Vita is mostly fine, as is, although your attitude of it will vary based on what you want out of it. 

If you don't use PSN and download things digitally, and basically only play AAA retail bought games, yes the thing is a dud.   In other words, if your gaming appetite is basically Call of Duty, Assasins Creed, GTA, Uncharted , etc., stay away.  Don't get me wrong, there are some games experiences like this on Vita, but the release schedule is too far and in between to keep you occupied.

However, if you like the more niche side of gaming like JRPGS and indie games, are fully invested in the Sony gaming ecosystem, also own ps3 (and plan to get ps4) buy often from PSN, are a PS plus member, this thing is excellent.  You get most of the best parts of the PSP library (endless JPRGS!) cheap and available for download at a moments notice.  All of the PSOne classics are now portable on it.  PS Plus have given me a sizable library of free retail Vita games I can download anytime and play as long as im a member- I have access to many of the best retail games free through this.  Indie games shine on this hardware, as they better lend themselves to being portable, and playble in shorter bite sized sessions.  Plus my PS Plus membership got me 70% off of quite a few retail games I wanted, like Soul Sacrifice. 

On top of it all, eventually the thing will be playing your ps4 games, streamed from your home console via the internet anywhere you go that has good enough internet, AND streaming PS3 games from the Gaikai service in a year or two. 

As I said before, if you are "all in" with Sony's online offerings, Vita is great.  Its really the ultimate companion piece to owning a Sony console. 
siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2013, 10:18:53 PM »

I actually think the Vita is mostly fine, as is, although your attitude of it will vary based on what you want out of it. 

If you don't use PSN and download things digitally, and basically only play AAA retail bought games, yes the thing is a dud.   In other words, if your gaming appetite is basically Call of Duty, Assasins Creed, GTA, Uncharted , etc., stay away.  Don't get me wrong, there are some games experiences like this on Vita, but the release schedule is too far and in between to keep you occupied.

However, if you like the more niche side of gaming like JRPGS and indie games, are fully invested in the Sony gaming ecosystem, also own ps3 (and plan to get ps4) buy often from PSN, are a PS plus member, this thing is excellent.  You get most of the best parts of the PSP library (endless JPRGS!) cheap and available for download at a moments notice.  All of the PSOne classics are now portable on it.  PS Plus have given me a sizable library of free retail Vita games I can download anytime and play as long as im a member- I have access to many of the best retail games free through this.  Indie games shine on this hardware, as they better lend themselves to being portable, and playble in shorter bite sized sessions.  Plus my PS Plus membership got me 70% off of quite a few retail games I wanted, like Soul Sacrifice. 

On top of it all, eventually the thing will be playing your ps4 games, streamed from your home console via the internet anywhere you go that has good enough internet, AND streaming PS3 games from the Gaikai service in a year or two. 

As I said before, if you are "all in" with Sony's online offerings, Vita is great.  Its really the ultimate companion piece to owning a Sony console. 

I both disagree and agree with you. I disagree with you mostly because I've already tried out or seen most of what the PSP has to offer (playing some of them right now as a matter of fact) so the pickings are kind of slim. Not to mention the PS1 library on the Vita is pretty small, and the amount of RPG's in there is even smaller. i agree with you , however, because if you haven't yet tried what the PSN PSP library has to offer, you would have a very nice backlog to catch up to.

The PlayStation plus part is stale, imo, as I'm not much of a fighting game fan. Or a racing game fan. Or a 3rd Person Shooter fan. Gravity Rush was great, but I think they're hell bent on making sure everyone knows that. It's been free for months! Megaman is sweet though. At least I have no reason not try Virtue's Last Reward one of these days. So really, the pickings are grand if you want to amass the great mountain that is the backlog.

The indie side of things you got me there. There's a lot of good titles for those who previously didn't own them or want to support the guys again. Most of them are not really my cup of tea, but still it's a pretty good selection.

As for the streaming part, my internet sucks so that's not much of a plus (I think I accidentally made a pun) for me (I also don't usually go to places with Wi-Fi so Gaikai is pretty useless as far as I'm concerned). [/rant]

Regardless of all of that I'm still feeling optimistic about the library. As I'm gonna enjoy the small backlog of PS1 titles I missed (Front Mission 3 was on here? Woah), while waiting for the games I want to see.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2013, 10:56:59 PM »

All I know is, I was pretty excited for Ys Celceta to hit in early November, only to see the date get pushed back.

Vita looked like it was doomed for awhile there... but the reduced price point and an even larger emphasis on long-term support from Sony got ME of all people to buy one.  Prior to the Vita, I have never owned a portable gaming console.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2013, 11:00:39 PM »

All I know is, I was pretty excited for Ys Celceta to hit in early November, only to see the date get pushed back.

Vita looked like it was doomed for awhile there... but the reduced price point and an even larger emphasis on long-term support from Sony got ME of all people to buy one.  Prior to the Vita, I have never owned a portable gaming console.
Parn.....wtf? You going soft on us now?

TASTY!
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2013, 11:13:28 PM »

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2013, 11:16:03 PM »

HULA!!

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: