Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 25, 2014, 12:09:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334816 Posts in 13711 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan's Top 20 PSP Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's Top 20 PSP Games  (Read 3997 times)
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2013, 04:35:09 PM »

About the "spoiler" -

It's not too much of a spoiler.  You actually have to go out of your way to do a specific something on a specific path to get the scene, which in itself is optional and doesn't appear like normal story events, it just appears on the event screen.  It's basically just a cruel bonus for if you mess up too badly on purpose.  You probably won't be getting it unless you're trying to 100% the game.

I'm all for marking spoilers, but this isn't one.

Ye Im sorry, I overreacted a little bit there.

Aeolus
This is the Monado's Powerbomb!

Little did he know, the fall damage would KO him.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2013, 05:27:00 PM »

But really, Riviera?
Going to have to agree with you there.

Same here actually. It's not a bad game, but it's not a great one either.
Although maybe the PSP version is that much better than the GBA one? That what I played.

I had the same thought. But then, I also had similar thoughts in regards to Lunar and FFIVCC, as even the "Classic"-ness of it doesn't really change the fact that they're mediocre JRPGs that haven't really aged all that well (or crappy JRPGs in the case of the After Years/Intermission). But yeah, the only thing Riviera had going for it was the unusual inventory/level up mechanic (and the Dating Sim aspect), whereas the system also had Yggdra Union, Knights in the Nightmare, and Gungir (which was the only Dept. Heaven game to not be ported over from another system).

Also, the TO spoiler doesn't even count. It's like saying that you die in a bad end in a CYOA game/book/whatever. It's something that only happens when you, the player, done fucked up.

In my vision, I see that one of us is going to KO the other.
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 05:55:30 PM »

Gungir (which was the only Dept. Heaven game to not be ported over from another system).

Well, there were two spin-offs of Yggdra Union (Blaze Union and Gloria Union) that were PSP exclusives.  But they never made it out of Japan...

Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2013, 06:09:58 PM »

Gungir (which was the only Dept. Heaven game to not be ported over from another system).

Well, there were two spin-offs of Yggdra Union (Blaze Union and Gloria Union) that were PSP exclusives.  But they never made it out of Japan...

Hence why I didn't bring them up. :P

Also they weren't technically Dept. Heaven games (in much of the same sense that FFIV: The Wonder Years, and FFX-2 aren't considered mainline FF titles). Not like being a Dept. Heaven game really means all that much (really its just shoehorning Hector in to scheme off in a corner somewhere).

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2013, 06:23:29 PM »

In regards to the list, I am mad BoF III didn't make it here.

I love the game and all... But Mikba and some of the gross-ass factory dungeons can suck a whole bag of dicks.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GuardianBoi

SOphie!

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2013, 08:36:09 PM »

I've very happy with this list. It's all games I have played and really enjoyed. I would have put some games higher and other games lower, maybe. But all in all, a very solid list. A game that I was surprised didn't make it at all, was either Dissidia. Now...before I get in trouble, my biggest reason for thinking it could have made the list was this: even if the story was absolutely ridiculous and the gameplay could get somewhat confusing and frustrating. I can honestly say that I put SO MUCH DAMN TIME into those games. Which, in my mind, was an accomplishment.

That's all! Thank for reminding us of all the great games PSP had to offer! Here's hoping the Vita catches up soon! :)

pigTails of...
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »

Does Dissidia even count as an RPG?

(Also, I thought Dissidia was a pretty terrible game but that's a discussion for another day...)

Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 10:02:35 PM »

(Also, I thought Dissidia was a pretty terrible game but that's a discussion for another day...)

I always considered it a fighting game. 
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 10:20:04 PM »

Hey guys where's The 3rd Birthday on that list?

...yeah yeah I know. People is still salty over that, sorry(?).

Fighting/Action RPG hybrid to be precise. Though, SQEX calls Dissidia's genre as "dramatic progressive action".

I've always wanted to try Dissidia since is kinda (but not really) like the FF that I imagined once I slowly started to get into the series.
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 10:27:08 PM »

We had a great deal of discussion over whether Dissidia counts for our coverage when it came out, and in the end, we decided it didn't.  The sequel, however, upped the RPG aspects, and we did cover it.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Taelus
Some music guy
RPGFan Editor

Leaves from the vine.

taelusramza
View Profile Email
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 10:37:16 PM »

I loved Dissidia. Played a ton of single player, even more multiplayer. I think I had over 100 hours on the Japanese version. <3 Zidane.

"IT IS SUBTRACTION.  I WILL COME TO YOUR SCHOOL AND BEAT YOUR STUDENTS." - John
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 11:15:33 PM »

I enjoyed Dissidia, too.  I've spent way too much time with it.  There were problems, but I have to say the vertical battles and overall openness really suited me.  Of course, this is coming from someone who really dislikes 2D fighting games, so.
Klyde Chroma
Lvl. 7 Fruity Ninja and Dincrest groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 02:01:21 AM »

In regards to the list, I am mad BoF III didn't make it here.

I love the game and all... But Mikba and some of the gross-ass factory dungeons can suck a whole bag of dicks.

Gotta say I'm torn on the Breath of Fire argument. On one hand, personally, I am HUGE BoFIII fan. On the other hand, it is hard to ignore some of the games blaring faults. It is so easily broken if you exploit particular formations that take advantage of individual characters strengths it is ridiculous. Also, end game happens pretty abruptly for my taste. I almost felt like it ended preemptively... like, there should have been another few hours of some intense plot stuff.

So on my personal list, BoFIII would make the cut. However, being objective in crafting a list, I would have to exclude it.

Breath of Fire aside, great article/list for a truly awesome console. I spent more time with my PSP than I did my PS3 actually. The JRPG library, coupled with the ability to hook it up to the big screen made the PSP a real attractive device for me.

I loved Dissidia. Played a ton of single player, even more multiplayer. I think I had over 100 hours on the Japanese version. <3 Zidane.

Dissidia was bitter sweet for me... I liked it but... well... I sucked so much at it, it was almost no fun at all! LoL

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
Aeolus

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2013, 02:31:48 AM »

Hey guys where's The 3rd Birthday on that list?

...yeah yeah I know. People is still salty over that, sorry(?).

On that note, why didn't Astonisha Stories or the other Legend of Heroes games make the list?

/sarcasm

Fighting/Action RPG hybrid to be precise. Though, SQEX calls Dissidia's genre as "dramatic progressive action".

I've always wanted to try Dissidia since is kinda (but not really) like the FF that I imagined once I slowly started to get into the series.

There are a lot of things Squeenix likes to call a lot of their crap by pretentious names rather the things they should be calling it.

Also does this mean that Theaterhythm doesn't count either?

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2013, 04:06:34 AM »

- Does Half Minute Hero ever get interesting? I don't think I ever got far in it but it felt distinctly like something from aughties Kongregate, and not like something I should've been expected to spend money on.

- Star Ocean 2 and FFT were sufficiently broken enough to warrant more extensive remakes than they apparently got. Especially SO2.

- I liked Riviera a hell of a lot more than Knights.

--- edit ---

Oath in Felghana is one of the best goddamn things I have ever played so hell yeah it should be on that list.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 11:27:33 AM by MeshGearFox » Logged

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: