Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 07:02:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319685 Posts in 13046 Topics by 2147 Members
Latest Member: TacoBell_Lord
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan's Top 20 PSP Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's Top 20 PSP Games  (Read 2564 times)
TiamatNM

tiagol@live.com CursedTiamat
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2013, 04:43:28 AM »

But really, Riviera?
Going to have to agree with you there.

Same here actually. It's not a bad game, but it's not a great one either.
Although maybe the PSP version is that much better than the GBA one? That what I played.

It's not that much better than the GBA version.  It has some minor enhancements/additions but it's generally the same.

I disagree with you guys though I think Riviera is awesome.  I was surprised to see it make the list though. 
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2013, 06:04:03 AM »

Also does this mean that Theaterhythm doesn't count either?

Even before the issue of it being primarily a rhythm game, I think the bigger problem is that it's not a PSP game ;)

Or was that question about RPGFan coverage in general and not this list?

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2013, 08:18:23 AM »

There are a lot of things Squeenix likes to call a lot of their crap by pretentious names rather the things they should be calling it.

Capcom called RE6 "dramatic horror" and some fans after knowing this got annoyed at Capcom because they weren't getting the same game they played back in 1998. The Tales series has classy names for some of their Mothership titles too and I don't think anybody gets crazy about that.

Point is that these classy titles are there mainly to give an idea to the public of the direction they are going with the game more than anything else.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2013, 11:46:58 PM »

The problem with horror is that many people confuse horror for "it has to be scary", which is ridiculous. By all means, even the latest Resident Evil is a horror game. It has taken a turn for action, but it's still horror.

Personally, I don't see what the fuzz is about Resident Evil turning into an action series. As long as they're continuing the plotline that they have established over the past games, it makes perfect sense. The monsters were designed to be bio-organic weapons to be employed in warfare to begin with.

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2013, 09:44:50 PM »

Far too many ports on the list for my taste.

I think Popolocrois could have been on there in place of something that's a handheld version of an existing game.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2013, 10:20:18 PM »

Thanks - believe me, not all of us were 100% in agreement with the list either.  But it was a list we were all willing to accept. :)  You might actually be surprised at how much work one of these lists takes.  (Which partially explains why we don't do many of them here.)  We've got our "best of DS" list coming, and I talk a little more about the process in the intro to it.

When you're arguing between a large group of people, I understand that it could be difficult to assemble a list like that.  It makes me feel 130% more justified in blaming Derek for forcing Ys Chronicles up there.  Don't try to deny it, Embryon-senpai. 

Valkyria Chronicles II, Disgaea 1, and Breath of Fire III all came close to making the list. :)

It's unfortunate that so many of the games on the list are remakes... but depending on whether you had played them before (I hadn't), it may be unfortunate that those were simply the best games on the system. :(

Yeah, like I said: I wasn't complaining, but it's true.  And a little unfortunate. 

The Monster Hunter series is one that we've decided doesn't fit our coverage - I actually reviewed Monster Hunter Freedom (the one before Unite), and it spurred much debate, resulting in that decision.  But how about if I offer the beginning of what my review would have said as a consolation prize?

Dear Reader,

I didn't want to be the one to have to tell you this, but our friendship means a lot to me, so I'm going to do it anyway. I know Monster Hunter Freedom looks cool, and does fun stuff, but it really doesn't like you "that way." It's cool if you come along with your friends, but when it's just you and Monster Hunter alone, it's just not the same. No hard feelings, OK?

-John T.

Monster Hunter Freedom is two games before Unite.  The PSP games go Freedom, Freedom 2, Freedom Unite.  In Japan that lineage of PSP MH games is Portable / Portable 2nd / Portable 2nd G / Portable 3rd.  For the past year and a half I've been hoping for a Vita G version of Portable 3rd, but alas it hasn't happened. 

And re: imported stuff.  Well, OF COURSE.  Here, I'll make a top 5 important Japanese RPGs right now, without even leaving this tab.  Let's see....

MOST HONORABLE OF MENTIONS: Monster Hunter Portable 3rd
5. Valkyria Chronicles III
4. Super Robot Wars Z2 (two games)
3. Tales of Phantasia Naikiri Dungeon X (hahaha remakes!)
2. Eiyuu Densetsu: ___ no Kiseki (like six goddamn games or something)
1. Final Fantasy Type-0

Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2013, 10:47:12 PM »

I think Popolocrois could have been on there in place of something that's a handheld version of an existing game.

Oh no it couldn't.  At least four staffers have played it, and only one liked it.  One thought it was OK, and the other two hated it.  Sorry.  :)

I've seen a number of people (not just here) say that they're disappointed that there were so many remakes... but it's not the list's fault.  It's the system's.  (If anyone wonders, there were 11 remakes and 9 originals on the list.)

So I've taken the list and redone things to see what would have happened if we took out remakes.  It would have been ugly.  We would have had to dig so deep that in order to have a top 20 list, we'd have three games that we rated "below average" in the ratings we made for the purposes of this list.  So we probably would have just cut it to a "top 10" list and added Unchained Blades as #10.

When you're arguing between a large group of people, I understand that it could be difficult to assemble a list like that.  It makes me feel 130% more justified in blaming Derek for forcing Ys Chronicles up there.  Don't try to deny it, Embryon-senpai.

Surprisingly, four of us picked that one to make it somewhere on the list, and Derek was the lowest!  He voted for it to be somewhere between 16 and 20. :)

Oh - and sorry about the goof on Monster Hunter game order.  Actually, a friend just showed me one of the DS games a few days ago, and it really made me want to pick it up...
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 10:49:05 PM by Tooker » Logged

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2013, 10:55:49 PM »

Oh no it couldn't.  At least four staffers have played it, and only one liked it.

That would be me! :D

Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2013, 11:04:15 PM »

Oh no it couldn't.  At least four staffers have played it, and only one liked it.

I giggled xD

Dammit, Fan.  You shoulda made a Top 30 for the weird delinquent titles that have trouble finding a loving home!

Though, I think the list does encapsulate a good "general" scope.  God...really makes me question my taste in PSP games given the amount of remake/ports.  It's not a bad thing of course....not necessarily a good thing either though...

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: October 23, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »

You have good taste! :D

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2013, 02:48:31 AM »

Well that, and the fact that it is a port of a PSX game.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
cj_iwakura
Wayfarer of the Time

Counting The Sheep

cjiwakurax
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2013, 10:09:39 PM »

I was with the list until #1. I think P3P is a pale imitation of the original, since it removes so much of what made the original a classic.

Anyway, I like it besides that. I think Growlanser IV certainly deserves a mention, and possibly Crimson Gem Saga.

蒼く咲く華 日は灯り 天に流れる | Kill The Past
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2013, 04:30:00 PM »

I was with the list until #1. I think P3P is a pale imitation of the original, since it removes so much of what made the original a classic.

Anyway, I like it besides that. I think Growlanser IV certainly deserves a mention, and possibly Crimson Gem Saga.

Are you talking about the difficulty or the lack of animated cut scenes and walking around in P3P? I didn't mind the lack of cut scenes but the difficulty bugged me a bit. Being able to control the other party members was awesome but I felt it destroyed the difficulty. It seemed like the enemy AI still acted as if you only controlled the main character.

Thought the option to play as a girl was great and they even added in new social links. Only thing I felt was missing from it was The Answer and that kind of felt like filler in  P3 FES anyway.

I was surprised that Growlanser IV didn't make the cut as I loved it. I was also disappointed but not that surprised that Brave Story: New Traveller didn't. Loved the game to bits but it is about as traditional as you get.

Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2013, 05:19:18 PM »

Oh, I just had a thought: Hexyz Force.  Totally okay game.  The only Sting game I've ever bothered to finish, in fact.  I would have been okay with Hexyz Force in the 17-20 range, but L-O-L higher than that would be silly. 

Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2013, 05:30:48 PM »

@Darilon: In a way you could say that 'The Answer' was filler, but really the whole thing was made in the first place to a reaction that some players in Japan had after the original ending in P3.

Atlus expanded the scenario and is very much part of the main story.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: