Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 28, 2014, 08:42:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327577 Posts in 13412 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Decided to give a computer RPG a try
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Decided to give a computer RPG a try  (Read 1611 times)
LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2013, 02:21:09 PM »

A couple months ago I made a topic asking for recommendations on RPG's that I should try. More specifically western RPG's for consoles but I made an exception of saying no PC games. Going back a while I did buy some WRPG's such as The Witcher 2 Assassins of Kings and Dragon Age Origins. I might have gotten one or two more but I can't remember. I haven't started those two due to the large amount of games I have to play before it but I decided to get rid of that PC restriction since Planescape Torment is considered by many including this site to be one of the best RPG's created. I went on good old games a website that has PC downloads and bought Planescape Torment and also downloaded Ultima IV Quest For The Avatar since it was free. I know Ultima IV is very classic and I'm not expecting to get into that game....at least not yet but so far Planescape Torment is interesting. Im playing it differently then I would usually play a game and haven't gotten that far into it yet but anyone have any recommendations on what to do? Any missables? Only just got to the town of Sigil so no spoilers please. I'm going through the game but PC games aren't really what I play so it's not the main game I'm playing through currently. I'm currently playing Eternal Sonata and when I'm done with that I plan on moving to Xenogears another game that is supposed to be really good that I recently bought. Any interesting moments anyone wants to discuss in Planescape Torment or Ultima IV? I'm interested in reading some things for a change. I've been watching a lot of youtube reviews so a discussion would be nice.

Side Note: I plan on getting Radiant Historia since that's another game that a lot of fans say shouldn't be missed. I don't know I guess recently I got into more of a single game kick. Looking for great games that aren't part of a huge series (Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest) The Legend of Dragoon wasn't that good but that won't deter me from looking for and playing the hits and great games. (Not asking for a list of games just stating that) Thanks
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 03:38:54 PM »

There are lots of walkthroughs out there for Planescape.  I bet you can find one that's laid out in an unspoilery way.  It's probably been long enough for the rest of us that we can't remember the specifics. :)

As far as other games to get, Steam will be your friend.  Check our PC reviews page and sort by date in descending order, and a lot of what's near the top will be from there.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:27:24 PM »

I think instead of trying CRPGs, you should try indentation and line breaks.

wrt planescape, installing the fan patches is probably a good idea?

There's lots of missable stuff and plot points where you can do one thing or another but not both. Don't worry about these. PST is more focused on  puzzle solving and dealing with NPCs than it is on combat.

If you play Ultima 4, XU4 adds midi music (from the Apple version?) and slightly improved graphics. With U4, just take notes about everything, since there's no in-game journal.

Xenogears kind of sucks.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Klyde Chroma
Pool of Thorns Groupie

If Hitler was an introvert, he'd be me.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2013, 09:10:56 PM »

I think instead of trying CRPGs, you should try indentation and line breaks.

Xenogears kind of sucks.

Well it appears Link and I have two things in common... I too need to work on my typographical-forum-conduct. Then again, I have over-used ellipses to the point that I don't think people actually mind it any longer.

And I also want to play Xenogears. Well I want to re-play it. I played it so long ago I can hardly recall it. What I do recall however, was it being more of a case of long stretches of awesome and long stretches of totally sucking as opposed to just a "kind of sucks" total package.

Klyde Chroma / XBox Live Network
Triscal-Goddess / PSN
 Remember, DON'T do drugs... an owl will tear your face off.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 01:05:17 AM »

And I also want to play Xenogears. Well I want to re-play it. I played it so long ago I can hardly recall it. What I do recall however, was it being more of a case of long stretches of awesome and long stretches of totally sucking as opposed to just a "kind of sucks" total package.

That's actually an accurate description there, but I never felt like the gameplay gelled -- spell usefulness is all over the place, and the combo system doesn't really make a whole lot of sense, since the bonuses you get for holding off and doing big combos don't really do much more damage than if you would've just done the deathblows normally from what I recall...

Also the suckish stretches aFUCK NORTURNE

o/` I do not dream o/`

siveon

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 02:01:03 AM »

There was two things I remember from playing the gog.com version of Ultima IV.

1) Holy crap there's no big bad buy? I'm just on a pilgrimage? Cool.

2) What in Lord British's name do I do around here? Eh screw it.

I still like the series though, I just admire it far away whilst I play the Dungeon Siege remakes. Some virtues I do not have, I'm afraid.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 09:04:23 AM »

Xenogears is pretty good imo. I had a lot of fun with it. The story is amazing, completely worth the effort.

LINK398

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 01:42:00 PM »

People seem to complain about Xenogears length. That the game was intended to be longer than two discs but due to budget constraints they had to shorten it. Thus, making the second disc almost all story and no gameplay. After all the reading in Planescape Torment the reading in Xenogears might be nothing compared to it
natros

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 03:46:20 PM »

I've been meaning to catch up on some of the older CRPGs myself. Especially the D&D Infinity Engine games. I didn't have a computer capable of playing any games until about 5 years ago, so I've missed out on a lot of the late 90s/early 00s CRPG goodness... I try to snatch them up from GOG whenever they are on sale.
Raziel

Megaten Fan

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »

People seem to complain about Xenogears length. That the game was intended to be longer than two discs but due to budget constraints they had to shorten it. Thus, making the second disc almost all story and no gameplay. After all the reading in Planescape Torment the reading in Xenogears might be nothing compared to it

Well, yeah, but the quality of the writing is much better, too.
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 05:02:00 PM »

Xenogears is one of those games that tried to be more than it could afford to be. That, and getting torpedoed by FFVIII after FFVII turned out to be a surprise hit didn't help matters either.

That said, it's probably worth more for the giant robot anime homages than anything else at this point since Xenoblade is pretty much the superior experience.

Also, the damn game killed off CT's Lucca.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 05:42:16 PM »

Xenogears is awesome because Fei Fong fu giant robots with bare hands.
MeshGearFox

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »

Xenogears is one of those games that tried

No, I disagree.

o/` I do not dream o/`

Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2013, 09:16:23 PM »

Xenogears kind of sucks.
Agreed. But only "kinda"

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
mainmango
Let's Play Youtuber

View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2013, 01:51:23 PM »

When you find time to start The Witcher 2, I highly recommend you give that a try first. My love for RPGs did start with consoles which is probably how you got started however some Western RPGs on the PC aren't all that bad. It'll be a different kind of experience than what you're used to but definitely worth a shot.

Let's Play Series in progress:
Dragon Quest VIII
DMC: Devil May Cry
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: