Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 04, 2015, 03:56:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
Check out the latest RPG news!
363170 Posts in 14737 Topics by 2288 Members
Latest Member: Wallflower
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  Operation Abyss New Tokyo Legacy
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Operation Abyss New Tokyo Legacy  (Read 402 times)
ZeronHitaro

View Profile Email

Ignore
« on: June 08, 2015, 10:59:35 PM »

Just popped this in tonight since NISA's awesome about shipping apparently.

Hooooly crap I feel buried in sub-systems. Starting to make sense of it all but I'm definitely feeling the UI overload big time. A lot busier than Demon Gaze but I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing yet. Hasn't been a whiff of fanservice in the first two dungeons though so I'm sensing hope for this one story-wise. No real opinion of combat yet since half my party is utterly useless. You'd think titles like this would've learned by now that having your casters be able to do nothing at all right out the gate is antiquated and boring. XP

Loving the aesthetic though and the music is pretty spot on overall. Although oddly I kinda miss the heart they pulled out of the Vocaloid program for DG; was hoping that would start being a 'thing' for these devs. Ah well. Here's hoping it both picks up in combat pacing and system clarity tomorrow.
Annubis

ee yan~☆

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2015, 12:47:46 AM »

First time I hear of this. I went to see the trailers on their site and it looks intriguing.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 02:19:06 AM »

Playing it as well and am I few hours in. I chose the 'modern' version, the one that provides you with a balanced party right at the start (instead of you haveng to create one yourself) and the battles have all been pretty easy thus far. Fortunately, my magic users became a lot more useful after gaining a few levels (and MP) so they can actually participate. Except for the acedemic, who seems to be more for exploring and boss battles. In regular battles he throws items sometimes.... yeah.

What's been giving me trouble is the overly complicated UI. There are so many options and over half of them have names you don't usually see in RPGs. Fortunetely there's a manual build into the game, but it will be a while before I get used to all these menus.

Also, pet peeve: met my first wanted variant and it was called a Siren. Captain girl explained the name was an obvious one, because the creature has wings. Thought that was weird, because, you know, sirens are those mermaidlike creatures that lure ships to their doom with their enchanted singing. No wings needed. Then I actually saw it and it turned out to be more like a fancy harpy. Get your mythology straight, Operation Abyss!

Edit: Update - 7 hours in - is it me or is this game rather easy? Battles, even boss battles aren't giving me much trouble. Even enemies several levels stronger than my party members do very little damage, if they hit me at all that is. I'm getting the hang of crafting and such, but I can't imagine that makes much of a difference at this point. I am enjoying the dungeons. They're varied and there seems to be a little puzzle (often of the 'find and hit switch' design, but there's some teleporting and damage floors as well) in every sector, so I'm having a fairly good time exploring. Etrian Odyssey (and Persona Q) spoiled me rotten, though, and compared to those games it feels rather based. But, it's much better than Mind Zero. ... I have been playing a lot of dungeon crawlers lately, haven't I?
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:11:57 PM by Tomara » Logged
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 02:51:09 PM »

Alright, I played through almost the entire thing (screw the bonus missions) and this game is really hard to recommend to anyone who isn't desperate for some DRPG action, because I'm pretty sure that was the main reason I got through it. Well, that and needing to write a review.

The first few dungeons were pretty decent despite some teleporting and invicible doors, but then the game hits you with some extremely frustratingly big mazes and it becomes painfully obvious the map you carry isn't detailed enough to be all that helpful. That almost made me want to quit playing.

However, the game actually got a more playable during the second half. Dungeon designs were less frustrating and you get this neat spell/item that lets you teleport to any spot on the map you've already been to. Missions were also a bit shorter and had clearer objectives. The downside is that you need to wade through 15+ hours of mediocrity and old-fashioned gamedesign to get there. Oh, and did I mention there's this level cap that becomes relevant right when enemies start spitting out tons of exp? Not cool.

I rate this: not the worst DRPG I ever played.
Dincrest
Analogy spouting
RPGFan Editor

I approve of this nonsense!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 04:27:35 PM »

Here's Derek's review of it: http://www.rpgfan.com/news/2015/3307.html

Short version: He didn't enjoy it. 

I have nothing funny to say.
Zendervai

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 05:45:57 PM »

I remember hearing something about this game being a remake of two different games (the original and its sequel) put together. That might explain the shift in quality between the two halves.
Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2015, 02:28:59 AM »

I remember hearing something about this game being a remake of two different games (the original and its sequel) put together. That might explain the shift in quality between the two halves.

I'm pretty sure that's it. That level cap right in the middle really drives that home. It's shame they didn't make progression more fluid.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: