Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 22, 2014, 11:47:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
337994 Posts in 13836 Topics by 2212 Members
Latest Member: WhiteWishes
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Miscellaneous Games
| | |-+  Favorite Game Genre BESIDES RPGs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Favorite Game Genre BESIDES RPGs  (Read 3372 times)
Dice
Dobbelstenen Muil
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2013, 11:37:53 AM »

Puzzle/Mystery.

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2013, 12:24:21 AM »

What, no farm simulators?

I've lived next to a farm my entire life. WHY would I play a farm simulator.

cuteness

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Cyril

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2013, 03:47:02 AM »

It used to be survival horror, but I'm not really a fan of how many of the games are more action-y.  However, there are still some modern non-actiony, more survival-based games with horror that I adore, so I suppose those would count as my favorite genre.

I have a stupid love-hate relationship with Platformers.  I do enjoy their gameplay, but nowadays I just don't have the patience or time to 100% them like I'd really prefer to.  It makes me hate myself for not completing everything while simultaneously loving the game.  In the end, my mixed feelings has me avoiding the genre.

I love VNs too.  And some Rhythm games.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2013, 08:46:34 AM »

I have a love-hate relationship with Platformers, too - I love them, but they hate me. =P

Seriously, I think platformers may be my worst genre. I'm lucky if I can make it through the 2nd world in a lot of these games before I'm dying a zillion times at every level...yet somehow I still like them when I play them. I recently played Gargoyle's Quest, and had a pretty good time with it. I even cheered when I finally beat the very first level after the zillionth try. I have yet to even find the second level, though...

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2013, 10:54:14 AM »

Third-person shooters, Fighting and Fast-paced action is what I like the most outside of RPGs.

It used to be survival horror, but I'm not really a fan of how many of the games are more action-y.  However, there are still some modern non-actiony, more survival-based games with horror that I adore, so I suppose those would count as my favorite genre.

Well, the genre changed with the times but is by not means dead. The action-y stuff comes from the effect of RE4 which was made the way it did by necessity of fans and the developers for change in a genre that back in the early 2000s got stuck.

The classic Survival Horror genre maintained itself alive with Siren: New Translation and Fatal Frame IV. The"First-Person Horror" sub-genre became a big deal among the hype and noise generated by the Internet with Amnesia: The Dark Descent, which at best is a decent horror experience but a pretty mediocre game if we're being honest.

The future for the entire genre is all over the place right now and honestly outside of RE7 still most likely providing adrenaline-fueled horror, The Evil Within using modern and classic sensibilities of the genre and the independent horror game that appears once in a while like Lone Survivor and Knock-knock there's not that much to really look foward yet.
Prime Mover

All's fair in love, war, and the recording studio

Shattre
View Profile WWW Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2013, 03:04:26 PM »

Adventure games... I probably play them more than RPGs these days (well, because practically all games are Adventure games, now days). Assassin's Creed, Bioshock, Metroid, etc. They typically have pretty much all the things I really love about RPGs, sometimes more. I love side scroller Metroidvania's too... without the "vania" (never was much into Gothic vampyre stuff). What can I say? I'm a Metroid super-freak.

Thanks Ninja, for killing my favorite series.

eelhouse.net
- order the new album

Currently Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Trails in the Sky, Bioshock: Infinite
Currently Listening to: Devin Townsend, Dream Theater
Watching: Star Trek: TOS, Slayers, Doctor Who (as usual)
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2013, 03:51:28 PM »

Thanks Ninja, for killing my favorite series.

For the little I know Nintendo is more to blame with how Other M was more than Team Ninja. Either way I don't want to start any discussion here because I know people get all emotional when someone bring up Other Mon forums.

...I already had enough of that crap with FF fans years ago. ._.'
TurnBasedDude
Ys Man
Rainbow Club Member

hotshot562@hotmail.com Alcazard0 emmy_sols
View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2013, 11:07:44 PM »

Mostly Puzzle games, followed by adventure titles, a sim type of game where I build up a town or business (I have fondness for Kairosoft games on mobile), some platformers and though I am bad at the genre, fighters too. I'll mostly play whatever except for FPS games, and realistic sports titles.

Xbox Gamertag: Gig01
Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/Zapper101
Maxximum
Not quite over gaming

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2013, 05:21:10 AM »

If I ware to name all the types of games I enjoy Id end up with a pretty long list, so Ill just go with what I end up putting the most time into:
FPS and to my surprise MOBAs (I disliked the genre for a while but here I am with a lvl 30 LoL account and several hundred hours in Dota 2).

NOW PLAYING:
Final Fantasy XIII: The time has come...
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout: Its...Odd...
One Finger Death Punch: F*ck Yeah! - The game
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 08:08:00 AM »

I really dig open world, sandbox-type games. GTA; Saint's Row; Just Cause; etc. "Go anywhere, do anything" has always been an inviting prospect for me. Feel like I get my money's worth out of those games.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 10:16:26 AM »

I really hate open world sandbox type games. haha.

My favorite type of games to play nowadays are Action/Rpg types like Mass Effect or Dust. I also dig Adventure/Rpg games like Darksiders II.
Lately Ive been getting into more story based stuff like To the Moon, Gone Home, and now Dear Esther. Makes me wonder what else is out there in this realm.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
natros
Misanthropic Humanist

Taking it from you while you sleep.

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 12:10:05 PM »

I've noticed there's quite a list of things you openly do not like/enjoy/appreciate. Need to cut back on that Haterade, fella. It's not good for the soul.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 12:40:25 PM »

I've noticed there's quite a list of things you openly do not like/enjoy/appreciate. Need to cut back on that Haterade, fella. It's not good for the soul.
I responded that way just to mess with you. I don't focus on hating things. I'm a much more positive person than my online persona makes it seem. I'm just opinionated(aren't we all?), and have a hard time keep them to myself at times. I've gotten better, though.

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 01:02:52 AM »

Lately Ive been getting into more story based stuff like To the Moon, Gone Home, and now Dear Esther. Makes me wonder what else is out there in this realm.

http://adamcadre.ac/if.html Play Photopia. Read nothing about it until you'd done so.

Anyway I don't have a favorite genre I play everything pretty much equally (except fighting games, I suck at those. Also not racing games because I don't like them), although I have a disproportionate number of RPGs for some reason.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 03:23:43 AM »

I like visual novels (Hotel Dusk, 999 etc) but I also love arcade racers (Outrun, Wipeout, Mario Kart etc)

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: