Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2014, 01:08:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
319155 Posts in 13033 Topics by 2145 Members
Latest Member: aew0
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  If you could invent/discover one thing
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: If you could invent/discover one thing  (Read 962 times)
Annubis

Voted most likely to become an evil dictator

View Profile

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2013, 09:31:38 PM »

If you could invent/discover one thing in the span of your life, no matter how hard or unlikely it could be, what would you wish it to be?

I think what I'd like the most to exist would be FTL travel. The possibility of exploring the galaxy and colonizing other planets seems like a great leap I hope we could achieve.

It's only sad that we're stupid and we'd probably pollute those planets and destroy their flora/fauna.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 09:36:24 PM »

What's that thing that makes unlimited food in Star Trek? Replicator?

Yeah that.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 09:41:43 PM »

I've wished for that too (I love sci-fi for sort-of "showing those possibilities").

More practical though...  I dunno, probably just some "magical hair machine".  It would cure baldness, make your hair rich and thick, be quick to colour, and removes excessive oils that make hair greasy. 
This is a really dumb girl answer, but we do a lot with our locks, and while I love lookin' pretty, I hate the amount of time and money hair care and styling takes up.  I also have thin hair (read: not thinning), so it's super fluffy and full right after a shower, but looks completely flat and bodyless by the next day.

That, and that awesome machine in "The Matrix" that can teach you anything you want in 1 second.  Being in the thick of school and struggling in stats class....that thing would make my fucking life.

EDIT: btw good topic Annubi
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 09:48:07 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2013, 05:53:07 AM »

Magic.
Agent D.

"Mage"nt D.

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2013, 07:11:54 AM »

What happens to a person's consciousness when they die.

TASTY!
Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2013, 08:31:42 AM »

Whenever I'm asked what kind of superpower I'd want, one of my first answers is teleportation.  By the same token, I answer this question the same way: teleportation device.  It would make balancing my double life so much easier. 

A "sleep compressor" would be cool too.  I need a bare minimum of 5 hours sleep to function properly and ideally need 8-9.  But sometimes, I don't have the luxury of a proper and/or consistent sleep pattern (my day job and being in a band require two completely different circadian rhythms) so a machine that could allow me to get the restfulness of 8 hours' sleep in, say, a 2-4 hour period would be awesome.  I think that machine could change mankind, because nobody out there gets enough sleep because stuff's gotta get done and that lack of sleep adversely affects you. 

And something like a pokeball where I can carry all my music gear in a compact form, just say, "amp I choose you!" and its instantly set up, and "amp return!" and breaking down's a snap. 

But, yeah, sleep compressor would be the cat's pyjamas. 

I approve of this nonsense!
Monsoon
Prinny Instructor

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 09:12:19 AM »

A "sleep compressor" would be cool too.  I need a bare minimum of 5 hours sleep to function properly and ideally need 8-9.  But sometimes, I don't have the luxury of a proper and/or consistent sleep pattern (my day job and being in a band require two completely different circadian rhythms) so a machine that could allow me to get the restfulness of 8 hours' sleep in, say, a 2-4 hour period would be awesome.  I think that machine could change mankind, because nobody out there gets enough sleep because stuff's gotta get done and that lack of sleep adversely affects you. 
So, something that would give you a full night's sleep in a few seconds, but you're still hungry. 

My answer would have to be a cheap method of large-scale purification and detoxification for air and water.  In the next decade there could be several major cities bordering on inhabitable due to smog (looking at you, Beijing) and certain parts of the world could experience a crippling water crisis (looking at you, Lake Chad basin).  Being able to work on fixing that in bulk would be awesome. 

Dincrest
RPGFan Editor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 09:45:44 AM »

So, something that would give you a full night's sleep in a few seconds, but you're still hungry. 

Yes.

I approve of this nonsense!
Aurian

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 11:23:10 AM »

Invent a video game bed - you go to sleep and when you wake up, you're perfectly healthy - poison, paralysis, KO, curse, etc. etc. etc. are all cured. It would be great to be able to wipe away pain and nagging physical problems so easily.

The second superpower I've always wanted was teleportation (as the above posted commented), but I dunno if I can lug around a transporter :p

The first one would be the ability to "Save" in real life? Screw up at work? No problem, reload a save from a week ago and fix it. Had a really good day? Reload a save and reexperience it, then go back to your "main game" and continue. Need a vacation? Ditto and go back to your trip to Hawaii for a few days, then reload. Save before an interview and try out various responses before deciding on the best outcome and reloading to do that.
Parn

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 11:44:18 AM »

Net-gain fusion power generation.
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 11:51:08 AM »

Invent a video game bed - you go to sleep and when you wake up, you're perfectly healthy - poison, paralysis, KO, curse, etc. etc. etc. are all cured. It would be great to be able to wipe away pain and nagging physical problems so easily.

The second superpower I've always wanted was teleportation (as the above posted commented), but I dunno if I can lug around a transporter :p

The first one would be the ability to "Save" in real life? Screw up at work? No problem, reload a save from a week ago and fix it. Had a really good day? Reload a save and reexperience it, then go back to your "main game" and continue. Need a vacation? Ditto and go back to your trip to Hawaii for a few days, then reload. Save before an interview and try out various responses before deciding on the best outcome and reloading to do that.

That machine would create paradoxes and destroy the very fabric of the universe.

http://backloggery.com/holykael1 - For all my playing shenanigans
"It takes nothing but a single pint of milk to ruin the pure, black magic of the coffee."
"Darker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself...that is coffee."
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 03:16:13 PM »

A means of completely rebuilding a still living human body without the need of major surgery or looking like Frankenstein's Monster.

As in, you've lost an arm or a leg, we'll build you a new one just as it used to be. Lost an eye or your hearing, we can go in a fix/replace them at the same quality or better. Need a new liver, kidney, heart, etc? Take a dozen if it suits you. Or maybe you've always wanted wings, gills, or a tail. Sure thing mate. Don't like your height, your build, the color of your eyes/skin, your gender, the shape of your head, or any particular mental condition/physical aliment? You can change them. Want to stay in your teens or twenties? Then yes you can.

Basically, I'm looking for something like Wolverine's healing factor, but with the ability to also modify your body if there's something you don't like about it.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Bytor
Ego Enhancement Consultant

Hiding in Inaba

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2013, 10:08:49 AM »

A cure for cancer, actually I don't care who discovers it, as long as someone does it soon

Everything's Eventual
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »

Ability to rewrite DNA within a cell, I guess using microscopic robots or something. This should allow:
-curing many types of cancer
-curing all genetic diseases
-easy destruction of many causes of diseases in situ
-growing organs
-would be a lot more difficult but growing limbs and attaching them on would be possible

Cool stuff normal people care about it would allow:
-designer babies
-(theoretically) agelessness, eternal youth
-we get to carry conversations about what kind of robots we have in our bodies
-you can create an army of yous or a harem of your favorite person

Magic.

This is good too.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2013, 09:57:28 AM »

Giant Robots. :B

But seriously, either faster than light travel (wormholes, warpdrives, whatever) or some sort of contained environment people could live in so we'll stop using up so much space and resources on Earth.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: