Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 23, 2014, 02:01:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz!
Persona 3 FES Quiz is now OVER!
Winner was user: Monsoon!
334711 Posts in 13708 Topics by 2200 Members
Latest Member: Rgeneb1
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Religion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print
Author Topic: Religion  (Read 2707 times)
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2013, 09:57:46 PM »

Atheist here. Death doesn't scare me. Suffering does.

I was dead for a long long time before I was ever alive and it didn't bother me then, so it seems unlikely it will bother me when it happens again.
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2013, 10:57:21 PM »

Atheist.

Other people being religious doesn't bother me, and I would never tell someone they're "wrong" for believing something different -

Until they start pushing their beliefs on me. Then I just politely start talking about devil worship.

It usually ends the conversation pretty quickly. :D

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Hathen

FORUM IDIOT

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2013, 11:09:19 PM »

Being from a Chinese family there's a lot of general religiousness in the culture that's a mixture of shamanism/buddhism/geomancy/ancestor worship that permeates throughout, resulting from a bunch of religions getting mixed together over time. Asian cultures tend to be very practical minded when it gets down to it however- see Confucianism. In a lot of ways it ended up causing the same problems that religion was capable of causing in other cultures throughout history, so I'm of the belief that religion and culture are effectively no different.

So because religion has never really been a huge focus as much in Asian culture when I actually got around to thinking about it, much like Grimreality I came to the conclusion that I was an atheist, especially so because I study mostly the sciences and the basic approach I take tends to be a skeptical one- it's false, until you prove it is true. I'm sure I have blind spots in that policy like pretty much every skeptic, though.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 01:13:13 AM »

I have a number of grievances that I would like to air and a number of things to confess that I don't feel at all apologetic about, however many of these are creepy and borderline illegal, so here's something else entirely.

So let's say I was raised Protestant, and went atheist when I was 13.

I started highschool in 2002, and the winter of '02/'03 was the longest I can remember, in terms of number of consecutive days with snow on the ground. That's the first time I was really afraid of death. But afraid's the wrong word, because 'afraid' is just shivers and panic and a quick return to not dwelling on it. This was staying up late and crying and being unable to think about anything else but death, except it wasn't really death I was thinking about.

And I want to say it was just the constant cold and whiteness of the winter that set it off but there's a broader gestalt of senses I remember -- the way the schoolbus smelled (like the old pleather seats, hair, and mildew), the music I was hearing (Mostly on the schoolbus -- Dixie Chix's cover of Landslide, their other song Wandering Soldier, uh, Kid Rock's... dabbling into country), some psychosexual things that are creepy and borderline illegal and will not be mentioned, they way that I constantly felt oily/itchy/on fire.

Something I remember was watching a video on ebola in biology class, one day in February or January, which was the last thing I needed to be watching, and that night my family went to Olive Garden with my grandparents, and I intensely wanted to not be there, while the waitress kept talking about having her pet ram castrated.

Or my mom coming home from work and telling me about how one of her student's best friends had died of a brain tumor, a few hours after he was diagnosed with it, and while he was telling my mom's student about it over AIM.

But that's not what started it. It's nothing interesting -- just the quiet moments you have to yourself to think about nothing, and nothing what was on my mind. Literal and absolute nothing.

What I was afraid of wasn't death, but a system where consciousness was purely biological and ended at the point of death. What do you have without consciousness? It's not just death as an endpoint but death as a total backpedaling into the null. Maybe you leave a legacy -- maybe you go on existing to the rest of the world, but from your standpoint?

Without consciousness you have no standpoint. You, to you, do not exist. The outside world, to you, does not exist. History, to you, does not exist. What terrified me then -- and more recently, even, just months of this dread I can't get rid of -- isn't death but the possibility that all of reality is effectively a very transient thing existing only between the opposite interfaces demarcating /my own/ human lifespan and nowhere else.

At this point I'm supposed to bring up how I realized that that couldn't be true -- that there had to be something out there, and had a religious reawakening and returned to the church after years of straying, except that's not something that happened. Because I am not religious.

The truth is that stuff was happening between 2003 and 2009, and it's all pretty... irrelevant to me now? It's not so much that you have some epiphany and get over it -- you just stop caring because it's draining to be that completely paranoid 24/7 for years on end.

But I wouldn't say I quit being afraid of death and I wouldn't say I'd ever want to quit being afraid anyway, because that's what makes you human.

Although I guess I haven't really said anything about religion? I will say that I'm not an atheist -- that's not at all accurate. I believe in something but I don't know what it is, and my reasons for believing in it sound schizo as fuck, even to me.

Oh welp.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Tomara

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 04:02:21 AM »

My mum's Catholic, my dad's a type of Protestant and there's this Dutch saying: Twee geloven op een kussen, daar slaapt de duivel tussen, which translates to 'When two different faiths share a pillow, the devil sleeps in between'. I don't know if there's an English equivalent, but it basically means such unions are destined to fail (and the children will end up as religiously confused hellspawn). Well, my parents are still together, but despite trying to raise us Catholic all three of us ended op agnostic.

It's hard to say how exactly that came to be. Maybe it's because when we did go to church, dad was never really a part of it. According to some people he was going to hell for being the wrong kind of Christian. Many people going to our chruch enjoyed disapproving of whoever wasn't like them. They thought they were morally superiour and felt good about that. Smug bastards. Anyway, that taught me that church was about xenophobia and hate. Yeah, I know that isn't true, or atleast that it shouldn't be true, but they left a very bad impression on ten-year-old me. I decided not to go through with Confirmation. My parents were fine with it, some other people were not... There was talk behind our back. Some mothers at school thought my mum was a bad parent and wouldn't let me play with their kids. Which was fine by me: no way I wanted to play with those smug, bossy brats!

I did go to Catholic school afterwards, but aside from the name and a few teacher it was hard to spot anything religious. Some of my friends were Catholic, but by then that was something you kept to ourselves. I think that's the way it should be. Let personal beliefs be personal.

But since you asked, here's what I believe! Since we can't know what comes next, it's important to enjoy the here and now and help others do the same, not just the ones alive now but also the people who will be alive in the future. Being remembered as a person isn't important, let your actions speak for themselves and inspire others to do the same. Be a good person and pass it on, and the world and future will be better for it.

(Also: to be a good person you need knowledge. Ignorance ends in tragedy. So yay for science and empathy and stuff!)

GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2013, 09:41:14 AM »

Atheist here. Death doesn't scare me. Suffering does.

I was dead for a long long time before I was ever alive and it didn't bother me then, so it seems unlikely it will bother me when it happens again.

You hear this all the time, and I just don't buy into it. No one was "dead" before they were alive. Of course it didn't bother you, because that's not even possible. You can't compare not existing before your life to not existing after it. There's this 80 or so year span in between which makes us kind of love the whole idea of living, among many other things, that makes the idea of not living scary as hell. For some of us anyway.
Isn't that a Mark Twain quote, or someone like him? I know someone famous said something like it.
*googles*
Yup, I was right:

I do not fear death. I had been dead for billions and billions of years before I was born, and had not suffered the slightest inconvenience from it.

― Mark Twain

Playing: TWD Season 2, Alan Wake
Reading: Mistborn #2 by Brandon Sanderson
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2013, 09:45:14 AM »

Yeah, but you don't even know you are dead. You can't miss it, because you aren't there any more.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2013, 09:47:48 AM »

I always liked that quote... I think it's like
"99.9% quotes about death are said by people who are alive"

x)

http://society6.com/Dice963
http://www.redbubble.com/people/dice9633

Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2013, 09:48:50 AM »

Yeah, but you don't even know you are dead. You can't miss it, because you aren't there any more.
That's not my point. I agree about that. It's the build up to it that's the killer.
Yeah, I'm so funny.

dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2013, 10:00:51 AM »

You can't compare not existing before your life to not existing after it.

I guess that's where we will simply have to disagree. :-)

EDIT: I'm not trying to belittle anyone's fear of death or anything, it is just not something that has really ever scared me. As I mentioned earlier, I am much more afraid of being kept alive while suffering than dying. It doesn't mean I don't love living, of course I do. It's freaking great.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 10:09:31 AM by dyeager » Logged
Yggdrasil

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2013, 10:06:45 AM »

This thread is such a bummer. :(
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2013, 10:12:15 AM »

I dunno, talking about death isn't really a bummer to me because again, I just don't worry about it. Whatever you believe - random circumstance, divine intervention, whatever -  it is pretty freaking spectacular that we are alive, existing, posting messages about it at all. That's worth celebrating to me. The notion that we are so precious and rare in either the scope of the universe or being chosen by some kind of deity - again, whatever works for you - means that being alive should be so unbelievably valued and should reinforce the notion that as precious as it is for ourselves it is equally as precious for those we share it with. That alone is motivation to do good and live well.
Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2013, 10:16:38 AM »

I agree with Starmongoose and others:

Yes. When I'm dead I will either be happily proven wrong or not be around to care I was right.

But I kind of like existing and it's a scary thought to think it's only temporary.
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2013, 10:28:13 AM »

The only thing that scares me more than my own death is the death of everyone.

(Kinda linked to the invention thread)
If we do happen to be the only intelligent life in the galaxy and Earth gets destroyed somehow, that would be the worst thing ever.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »

I dunno, talking about death isn't really a bummer to me because again, I just don't worry about it. Whatever you believe - random circumstance, divine intervention, whatever -  it is pretty freaking spectacular that we are alive, existing, posting messages about it at all. That's worth celebrating to me. The notion that we are so precious and rare in either the scope of the universe or being chosen by some kind of deity - again, whatever works for you - means that being alive should be so unbelievably valued and should reinforce the notion that as precious as it is for ourselves it is equally as precious for those we share it with. That alone is motivation to do good and live well.

I'm not finding it a bummer at all. I like that we can discuss such a delicate topic without anyone getting upset at each other. Makes me proud for our community.

And Mr. dyeager, I agree totally with what you say above. I don't sit around thinking about death all the time. I love living(even with my chronic health issues), and try to enjoy each moment as much as possible. I tell my son all the time how amazing it is how, out of all the minute possibilities over millions and millions of years, that we exist today.
It's just those rare moments when I DO start thinking about it all a bit too much that I find myself scared down into the core of my being. I don't share this with anyone around me(except on the Fan!) but it does happen.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: