Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
November 24, 2014, 07:39:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
We have a new board! Pop on over to the Game Journals section and tell us what you've been playing!
338136 Posts in 13843 Topics by 2214 Members
Latest Member: CoreSignal
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  The Rest
| |-+  General Discussions
| | |-+  Religion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Religion  (Read 2941 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 10:33:37 AM »

The true end of a life seems like the most abysmal part.

I'm not afraid of death because I decided, like I think many people do, to die either in an accident or with dignity. Fading away seems much worse than death.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
dyeager
RPGFan Editor

Code Monkey Like Fritos

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 11:05:31 AM »

And Mr. dyeager, I agree totally with what you say above. I don't sit around thinking about death all the time. I love living(even with my chronic health issues), and try to enjoy each moment as much as possible. I tell my son all the time how amazing it is how, out of all the minute possibilities over millions and millions of years, that we exist today.
It's just those rare moments when I DO start thinking about it all a bit too much that I find myself scared down into the core of my being. I don't share this with anyone around me(except on the Fan!) but it does happen.

You know - the fact that you have a son probably adds an element to it I don't have. I don't have kids and never will. But I would imagine for parents, there would be a fear of dying because you would worry about what happens to your kids afterward.

That may be different than what you're talking about but it is definitely an element that makes sense to me.

And yeah, the Fan is pretty cool.
GrimReality
Dark Lord of Nostalgia

OK, options aren't SO bad

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2013, 12:14:49 PM »

And Mr. dyeager, I agree totally with what you say above. I don't sit around thinking about death all the time. I love living(even with my chronic health issues), and try to enjoy each moment as much as possible. I tell my son all the time how amazing it is how, out of all the minute possibilities over millions and millions of years, that we exist today.
It's just those rare moments when I DO start thinking about it all a bit too much that I find myself scared down into the core of my being. I don't share this with anyone around me(except on the Fan!) but it does happen.

You know - the fact that you have a son probably adds an element to it I don't have. I don't have kids and never will. But I would imagine for parents, there would be a fear of dying because you would worry about what happens to your kids afterward.

That may be different than what you're talking about but it is definitely an element that makes sense to me.

And yeah, the Fan is pretty cool.

Yes, that is part of it. I love him to death, and we have such a great father/son relationship that I never had with my father. It kills me to imagine not being around for him. Not just 40 years from now, but NOW. Like if I died while he's still young. Chronic pain and persistent health issues will do that to you.
I also am scared of not being remembered. Like I said previously. I want people to say "I knew that guy. He was pretty awesome. Loved the hell out of nature and his family. He made a difference in this world."

The true end of a life seems like the most abysmal part.

I'm not afraid of death because I decided, like I think many people do, to die either in an accident or with dignity. Fading away seems much worse than death.
This quote is confusing. You decided to die in an accident? The whole thing with accidents is that no one makes a decision to do them. They just happen.
Am I misinterpreting what you're saying here?

Playing: DA: Inquisition
Reading: A Canticle for Leibowitz
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2013, 12:17:37 PM »

Yeah you are. :P

I'm saying I either want to die via accident, or commit suicide. I'm not going to wither away.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2013, 03:03:16 PM »

Im an atheist though my mother is borderline fanatical when it comes to religion.. When I was living at home it was constant argueing because she was constantly trying to shove her beliefs down my throat but I just couldnt take it, I am very passionate about science and trying to be more knowledgeable in general, going to university a few months ago calmed down the storm a little bit because now I am living by myself and whenever I come home once in a while for the weekends, it's not as bad as it was before. I guess I was religious for a while when I was little, mainly because I was ignorant and I wasnt taught anything else, when I grew old enough to think for myself I decided that I had enough of that bullshit.
I am not implying that religious people are all ignorant, religious belief doesnt automatically equate to ignorance, what does imo is accepting blindly what others tell you, I believe in scrutinizing everything that I think to try and stay consistent with my principles and constantly evaluating the the conclusions that I reach.

I respect that everyone has the right to make up their own mind and I embrace the subjectivity of it all.. I just hate it when people start invading constantly, trying to change your mind, being arrogant. I hate the "Im right you are wrong" attitude when it comes to these sorts of topics, why does it matter what other people think about religion or hell things like video games and music.. Just live your life and shut the fuck up(This doesnt mean that people cant debate or discuss, hell I believe that debating is extremely important because it will give you new information and a different perspective on the topic that maybe you wouldnt have thought of by yourself, I am specifically referring to the people that go overboard and cant understand that certain things will differ from individual to individual.).

I believe that human existence is nothing more than a result of chance but if we exist then atleast make use of it and live as passionately as you can, sometimes I start thinking about how absurd it is that we exist, we are a result of millions and millions of years of natural selection and genetic mutation on already existing organisms. I wonder how the universe came to existence and I do pose the possibility that some higher existence created it..if that's true however how did that higher existence came to be? If that higher existence can simply exist, why cant also the universe? If by chance there is a creator of the universe or whatever.. I dont believe he gives a shit about humans or even that he has anything to do with us existing.

I dont believe in the afterlife but simply not existing though scary.. you wouldnt even realize it. I cant even begin to think what it's like to simply not be and because of that atleast Im going to enjoy living for as long as I can.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 03:25:33 PM by Holykael1 » Logged

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2013, 03:12:07 PM »

I tell my son all the time how amazing it is how, out of all the minute possibilities over millions and millions of years, that we exist today.

"Life. They call it beautiful, they call it sad. And yet it remains that you and everyone else had the most extraordinary chances of ever existing at all. To me, that is a distant promise. To me that makes every second of life worth the wait, worth the hardships. Else I suppose I could have been in the void, having never existed at all."

- Schala, Chrono Cross
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2013, 03:42:06 PM »

Someones been doing homework

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2013, 03:51:21 PM »

QUIZ!

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2013, 05:02:38 PM »

Someones been doing homework

No, actually (slightly embarrassing fact) I love that quote so much I have it "on file"
Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2013, 06:35:03 PM »

That's not weird. Heck, I know some CC quotes by heart

Here's one about religion too:
"All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu. This is the truth. This is my belief... at least for now."

I always found this line to be interesting as the Nu is basically saying that he's ready to believe anything because he has the ability to, but also that as long as he is ignorant to any conflicting information to his belief, that it will remain.

Overall saying that one can believe out of nothing, but one cannot change with nothing.
Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 16, 2013, 05:30:50 PM »

Yeah you are. :P

I'm saying I either want to die via accident, or commit suicide. I'm not going to wither away.

Why are you discounting the possibility of murder in cold blood?

Or will it be a crime of hot passion?
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Smiley Abuser

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2013, 05:32:37 PM »

Who could murder this face?

:3

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2013, 05:36:45 PM »

We all wither. Slowly.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2013, 05:58:08 PM »

I never really think of my own mortality. I suppose I would prefer to go in my sleep or in a blaze of glory acting as a hero, giving my death some meaning. I know most people would probably like to be surrounded by loved ones but I don't think I would like them seeing me in my deathbed. I know for sure that I would prefer to still be in my right state of mind and in full control of my bladder. Sounds like I am making light of it but I honestly hate the idea of being unable to control when I go or having to be assisted to the bathroom. Not that there is anything wrong if you do need assistance, if you need help, you need help.

My dad is 60 next year and while it isn't that old in the modern day I do slightly worry. While I simply never consider myself dying, it is more mentally changing the subject whenever I think of his mortality.

Annubis

Something something like a tiger

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2013, 06:08:27 PM »

I don't want no one looking at my corpse. Burn the thing asap and throw a party in my honour.
I seriously hate how everyone gets together to look at a dead body and cry.

I refuse to waste an hour+ out of everyone's time for shit like that.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: