Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 23, 2014, 05:38:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
329476 Posts in 13498 Topics by 2179 Members
Latest Member: Lian_Kazairl
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games  (Read 6297 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2013, 08:00:11 PM »

Everyones a critic.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 08:08:20 PM »

Everyones a critic.

I'm kinda cringing at a few of the titles people DID want to see...Or at the very least, they had one good feature amongst many other problems (Rondo of Swords was a cool idea but felt kinda gross and unpolished...and it was freaking hard).

Why all the hate for Dark Dawn?  I thought it was alright.  I think the "ending" is the biggest offence given the title's current status. :P
Then again, I might be cooler with it since I paid ten bucks and got a pretty good ride out of it
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 08:52:57 PM by Dice » Logged

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 08:38:54 PM »

Everyones a critic.

I know I am!

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 09:20:52 PM »

Everyones a critic.

I'm kinda cringing at a few of the titles people DID want to see...Or at the very least, they had one good feature amongst many other problems (Rondo of Swords was a cool idea but felt kinda gross and unpolished...and it was freaking hard).

Why all the hate for Dark Dawn?  I thought it was alright.  I think the "ending" is the biggest offence given the title's current status. :P
Then again, I might be cooler with it since I paid ten bucks and got a pretty good ride out of it

I'll admit, I was kinda reaching with that one. As I mentioned earlier, there were surprisingly few non-dungeon crawler, non-gimmicky bullshit laden RPGs for the DS. I mean, look at Black Sigil. It wanted to be a CT clone so badly but wound up stupidly long-winded, wasn't really balanced at all, and even felt like it was only play tested enough to determine that it was possible to beat it without the game crashing or turning into an unwinnable mess. Meanwhile there were games like Soma Bringer (admittedly a dungeon-crawler but far better than even Summon Knight: Twin Age let alone half the other dungeon crawlers on the system, and probably on par or even better than even EO3) or Metal Max 2/3 that would've kicked ass, yet they couldn't achieve escape velocity from Japan's orbit (not like that stopped ToH for some reason).

As for GS:DD, the problem is that it was 'only alright' at best. It's been over 15 years since Beyond the Beyond was made and the only thing I felt Camelot has learned since then is to make their games piss easy and flashy to compensate for their continuing inability to balance a game.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Mickeymac92

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 09:41:08 PM »

I think the only game that I'd want to put on there that's not on there is The Dark Spire. As far as Wizardry-likes go, it's easily the best I've played. I know it's not a very popular game around here, though, so I wasn't expecting it to appear on the list.

http://myanimelist.net/profile/mickeymac92

“MY NAME IS POKEY THE PENGUIN I LOVE CHESS!! IT IS LIKE BALLET ONLY WITH MORE EXPLOSIONS!”
Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2013, 10:33:14 PM »

I'll admit, I was kinda reaching with that one. As I mentioned earlier, there were surprisingly few non-dungeon crawler, non-gimmicky bullshit laden RPGs for the DS. I mean, look at Black Sigil. It wanted to be a CT clone so badly but wound up stupidly long-winded, wasn't really balanced at all, and even felt like it was only play tested enough to determine that it was possible to beat it without the game crashing or turning into an unwinnable mess. Meanwhile there were games like Soma Bringer (admittedly a dungeon-crawler but far better than even Summon Knight: Twin Age let alone half the other dungeon crawlers on the system, and probably on par or even better than even EO3) or Metal Max 2/3 that would've kicked ass, yet they couldn't achieve escape velocity from Japan's orbit (not like that stopped ToH for some reason).

As for GS:DD, the problem is that it was 'only alright' at best. It's been over 15 years since Beyond the Beyond was made and the only thing I felt Camelot has learned since then is to make their games piss easy and flashy to compensate for their continuing inability to balance a game.

You know, I've had this very argument with people before and they all seemed to think I was crazy.  "The DS was great for JRPGs" is a mantra that people repeat so much they don't even question it anymore.  But when you really look at the catalog...if you're not into pure dungeon crawlers (which I'm not, really) there are very few stand-out titles.  There may be a lot of games but most of them were pretty forgettable.  Personally I think the PSP had a much better selection of JRPGs but I've been called a heretic for saying that...

But I'm not surprised by the number of VNs on the list because there were some pretty good ones on the DS.

Yoda
Son of Dad

Darkness is Void; Juffo-Wup is light

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 12:54:31 AM »

I like a lot of the games on this list. But what drew me to this forum so many years ago were fresh opinions on Jrpgs. As a fella that was at that time returning to gaming after quite the sabbatical; I missed the PS2 generation. Well except for some xbox haps with my buddy. So when I was researching rpgs I found this site. The SMT series was highly touted, DDS among that, and I quickly bought a DS to play Strange Journey on a long train ride I was to be taking. (see the 1st post in the now legendary What's the Haps? thread.

As much as I can appreciate why some of you enjoy those particular entries into the SMT series... I can't stand them. I love the interface and presentation of Strange Journey but man I could not get into it. Had I played this game in grade school, or high school I probably would've dominated it and soaked 100 hours into it. However as a single guy trying to finish school, work full time, keep a nice and orderly apartment and car, and date some women that's not what I'm looking for in a game anymore.

However, researching THAT game has led me here and provided me with some solid online companions and great insight into a hobby I neglected for years (prior to being here again).

I loved 999 even though I stopped just short of beating it. I'll pick it up again, though. Ghost Trick was big fun too.
MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 01:29:42 AM »

@yoda: Strange Journey kind of sucks, and it's only long because of various bullshit reasons (hidden doors, being exceedingly luck based in some of the side quests, nonsense difficulty progression).

Although as much as I used to be an Atlus fanboy I think there's maybe like five or six total SMT-related games I like. And even then only Nocturne and Raidou 2 I don't have reservations about.

It wanted to be a CT clone so badly but wound up stupidly long-winded, wasn't really balanced at all, and even felt like it was only play tested enough to determine that it was possible to beat it without the game crashing or turning into an unwinnable mess.

It's a CT clone. Of course it's unbalanced and not really tested.

If I had to come up with a favorite DS RPG list, it'd be something like DQV, TWEWY, Front Mission, Contact, Radiant Historia, Bowser, Pokemon Conquest, and Rocket Slime?

I didn't care for Etrian Odyssey, partially because it did a lot of the same bullshit Dark Souls does, partially because it felt reductionist and grindy. Haven't cared for any of the RPG Castevanias because the RPG mechanics just end up breaking everything. Devil Survivor was too crashy for me to want to ever play it again. I don't consider visual novels to be games. I really don't get what's so special about CT outside of the music and graphics.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2013, 03:50:54 AM »

Pokemon Conquest, and Rocket Slime?

I forgot about these two. Rocket Slime in particular was criminally underrated.

As for Front Mission, the reason why I didn't bring that up was because the game was hilariously unbalanced. Rockets, Dual-wielding Pistols, and the eventual ability to target specific body parts just allowed you to one shot anybody, and enemies rarely if ever had anything really close to this in the main game.

You know, I've had this very argument with people before and they all seemed to think I was crazy.  "The DS was great for JRPGs" is a mantra that people repeat so much they don't even question it anymore.  But when you really look at the catalog...if you're not into pure dungeon crawlers (which I'm not, really) there are very few stand-out titles.  There may be a lot of games but most of them were pretty forgettable.  Personally I think the PSP had a much better selection of JRPGs but I've been called a heretic for saying that...

But I'm not surprised by the number of VNs on the list because there were some pretty good ones on the DS.

The problem with the DS is that it was where Squeenix really started to lose it (well actually, they started to lose it back during the PS2/GBA era but they still put effort and a shitload of cash into their mothership titles on the PS2; when the GBA died and they had to start focusing on the DS, they pretty much delegated it to ports/remakes, compilation entries, and experimental titles with DQIX being the only real exception to this) and the attempts at filling the void were largely met with lame dungeon crawlers, crappy SRPGs, or remakes. There weren't a lot of original CRPGs or good SRPGs, and of what was there, many wound up stranded in Japan. And I agree with you that the PSP had the better RPG selection that generation. Unfortunately, most of them came out after the PSP had died outside of Japan.

You've misunderstood me. I just seek your death only because you're in the way of my goal of world conquest. I can't help it that I have evil ambitions and am named Dark Lord. Honest.
Darilon
Level 5 Spoony Bard

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2013, 04:33:56 AM »

Ninja Edit: I will say thank you for not including more than SMT:SJ for dungeon crawlers. Those fuckers were everywhere and most were mediocre as hell.

Are you talking about Mazes of Fate and Warlock of fire top mountain or everything outside of Strange Journey? I loved the Etrian Odyssey series although admittedly it is what introduced me into dungeon crawlers. Dark Spire is actually pretty decent. I wouldn't put it on the same level as EO and SJ but I had a lot of fun with it. Not worthy of the top 20 games though. I was not a great fan of it but my friends seemed to really like Orcs and Elves. Can't think of any others for the DS unless you want to include the top down one, Dungeon Explorer.

Then there are rougelikes but they are a completely different kettle of fish.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2013, 04:54:44 AM by Darilon » Logged

Ranadiel

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2013, 07:07:26 AM »

Radiant Historia is the best RPG to come out for I don't know how many years. I am offended by the fact the fact that it was not given the number 1 spot.  I hope all of you choke on a cat. Harumph. :p

But seriously, Radiant Historia did deserve better than 6th.

You know it is weird. I'm pretty sure that I have previously thought to myself that the DS was where all the good JRPGs had moved, but I just reviewed my DS collection.....and the selection I have sucks. A few good games followed with a bunch of games I never want to play again. Kind of sad really.
insertnamehere

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2013, 12:56:07 PM »

Did you guys distinguish between RPGs and games for VNs and graphic adventures could make the list?
Top 20 PSP RPGs
Top 20 DS Games

come get high with me
ba dum tissssss
Tooker
RPGFan Editor

king_friday@hotmail.com PeopleJohnT bigfatusername@yahoo.com
View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 01:03:23 PM »

No, we just didn't have anything other than RPGs make the cut on PSP.

Those who believe in telekinetics, raise my hand.
—Kurt Vonnegut
Holykael1
What is a man?

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: November 22, 2013, 01:15:05 PM »

I would also like to refer that I havent played some of the high profile games on the ds like SMT DS,SJ and Radiant Historia(SOON!), thinking a little bit more I think I would replace Chrono Trigger with TWEWY on my top 5 list.

Aeolus
I'm not evil!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: November 22, 2013, 01:44:32 PM »

Ninja Edit: I will say thank you for not including more than SMT:SJ for dungeon crawlers. Those fuckers were everywhere and most were mediocre as hell.

Are you talking about Mazes of Fate and Warlock of fire top mountain or everything outside of Strange Journey? I loved the Etrian Odyssey series although admittedly it is what introduced me into dungeon crawlers. Dark Spire is actually pretty decent. I wouldn't put it on the same level as EO and SJ but I had a lot of fun with it. Not worthy of the top 20 games though. I was not a great fan of it but my friends seemed to really like Orcs and Elves. Can't think of any others for the DS unless you want to include the top down one, Dungeon Explorer.

Then there are rougelikes but they are a completely different kettle of fish.

I was referring to games like Summon Night: Twin Age, Children of Mana, and From the Abyss in terms of games that are nothing but dungeons even if they play like ARPGs instead of either roguelikes like Shinren or Izuma or true dungeon crawlers like The Dark Spire, the EO series, and so on. Basically, I just settled on using dungeon crawlers since because that's what these games essentially consist of, monotonous crawling through randomly generated dungeons in a hollow facsimile of gameplay.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: