Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 01, 2014, 05:59:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
RPGFan Community Quiz
Next Quiz Date: January 11, 2014
Subject: 999 (Nintendo DS)
For more information click HERE!
327939 Posts in 13428 Topics by 2169 Members
Latest Member: KopeAcetic
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  RPGFan Message Boards
|-+  Media
| |-+  Single-Player RPGs
| | |-+  RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print
Author Topic: RPGFan's 20 Top 20 DS Games  (Read 5755 times)
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2013, 06:04:38 PM »

Is Radiant Historia really that good? I feel like I got pretty far into it and I was never elevated above "playable rpg" for me. Did I give up before it got good? Does the story have some amazing revelation I hadn't seen?

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Here to suck the fun out of games.
Dice
Super Happy Fun Super Girl
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2013, 06:13:20 PM »

[/quote]
Is Radiant Historia really that good? I feel like I got pretty far into it and I was never elevated above "playable rpg" for me. Did I give up before it got good? Does the story have some amazing revelation I hadn't seen?

Everyones a critic.

But seriously:
I kinda just liked the way it was written; I didn't feel it was childish, over-bearing or too heavy-handed (I was thinking a lot of J-titles were at the time too) and I liked how the first decision completely changed what happens in both timelines and still managed to create both diverse yet interesting plot lines (that address consequences for poor decisions through some weird/sad alternate endings and playing it up with needing to revisit people at certain times).  The battle system was simple, but I liked hitting multiple enemies A LOT (and I've got little patience for 'traditional' turn-based stuff these days).  The music was damn nice too.

http://society6.com/Dice963
Support your local Dice (and pitch her ideas)!
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2013, 06:18:23 PM »

Hey, I legit am a critic. :P

I'll replay it some day, I'm not saying I didn't like it, it was good in its own way, I just can't say I was captured.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

FlamingR1ft
RPGFan Editor

View Profile Email
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2013, 06:29:45 PM »

I hated Radiant Historia. :P

*prepares barricade*

danholo

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2013, 06:30:19 PM »

Why does the Top 20 list say there's no cutscenes in Chrono Trigger DS? I just played it and it certainly has the same FMVs as the Playstation version.

d.h.
Starmongoose
Contributing Editor

Vicious Feminist

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2013, 06:33:06 PM »

I hated Radiant Historia. :P

*prepares barricade*

i'll defend you brother.

SAVE THE PENGUIN!

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2013, 06:40:03 PM »

Hey, I legit am a critic. :P

I'll replay it some day, I'm not saying I didn't like it, it was good in its own way, I just can't say I was captured.

The cutscenes aren't particularly exciting and the graphics are all over the place... but I liked it because it felt real, the people and conversations were terribly over-the-top and the political aspect felt realistic (for the most part; magical elements and "sand disease" aside).  

MeshGearFox

HERE ON RUM ISLAND WE DO NOT BELIEVE IN RUM!

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: November 22, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »

As for Front Mission, the reason why I didn't bring that up was because the game was hilariously unbalanced. Rockets, Dual-wielding Pistols, and the eventual ability to target specific body parts just allowed you to one shot anybody, and enemies rarely if ever had anything really close to this in the main game.

Also there's no point in experimenting with the other chassis/body parts except for whatever the best one is at any given moment, but whatever, it's still a lot more balanced than FM3, although apparently I ended up on the completely bullshit story branch in that. Anyway I still LIKED FM1 a lot for some reason.

I'd also like to point out that the retcons specific to the DS version of CT make especially little sense.

o/` I do not feel joy o/`
o/` I do not dream o/`
o/` I only stare at the door and smoke o/`

Kevadu

Some guy

View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2013, 07:45:00 PM »

I enjoyed Radiant Historia quite a bit, but I wouldn't say I fell in love with it or anything.  I mean, it's no Trails in the Sky ;)

(I always end up comparing the two since they came out around the same time...)

Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2013, 07:55:25 PM »

I enjoyed Radiant Historia quite a bit, but I wouldn't say I fell in love with it or anything.  I mean, it's no Trails in the Sky ;)

(I always end up comparing the two since they came out around the same time...)

I thought both more than adequately told excellent stories, or at the very least, had some damn good writing.
Trails did so with a more predictable plot, but characters that were incredibly endearing.
Radiant had a more complicated plot and characters that fit (but not always entertained).

My $0.02

Klutz64

Meow Meow Choco-Chow!

RebornThief
View Profile Email

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2013, 07:58:56 PM »

I thought Radiant Historia was an excellent game, but I also feel like it gets a slight boost from enthusiasts for also being a bit of a hidden gem.

My incredibly adorable avatar was provided by our one and only Dice!
Dincrest
Onoda
RPGFan Editor

Lieutenant Commander Vacation

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2013, 08:04:16 PM »

+1 to whomever mentioned Rocket Slime.  That game was loads of fun and easily my favorite Dragon Quest game.  If we're going to offer opinions, I will say that despite my admiration and respect for the Dragon Quest series and all it's done for JRPGs, I simply could not get into it.  Even the best titles in the series that everyone says are sublime examples of the JRPG experience just didn't do that intangible "it" for me. 

Loved Rocket Slime, though.

"Immortality is a manga artist without deadlines.  Without deadlines, the manga artist will never get the job done."
   -Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Phase 58
jj984jj

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2013, 09:07:41 PM »

Golden Sun was chosen over all three Etrian Odyssey games? What in the world?
Lard

View Profile

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2013, 10:08:09 PM »

I have a real problem with remakes on these types of lists because they're generally included due to nostalgia more than anything else.

I avoid online multiplayer because my brain still works.
Dice
AMG A GIRL

Tawdry Hepburn

View Profile WWW

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2013, 10:30:18 PM »

I have a real problem with remakes on these types of lists because they're generally included due to nostalgia more than anything else.

Agreed.  I'm glad when they stay in the higher parts of a list at best; butt I don't like them as Top 3 when some reviewers do that.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: